WinMX Help > Upload/Download Issues
Current Version of MX?
<< < (2/6) > >>
Me Here:
Hi Mr. Chjitz,

Ok, lets see if I can do this politically correctly.

I am not sure how you came to have both, although its not uncommon.  I will simply explain what you have.

Install-2-2-noMX.exe - This is a patch to connect WinMx, it contains two versions. 
a. Olepro32.dll - Works for 9x systems like Windows ME/98 and only works with the WinMx 3.53 version.
b. Ws2_32.dll - Works for NT Windows systems like XP/2000 and works with either version of WinMx.

Install-2.2.exe - This is two complete versions of WinMX, 3.53 and 3.54 beta 4, along with the above mentioned patches for thier respective Operating systems.

That said, this patch also automatically blocks the RIAA IPs that are damaging and causing problems on the Network with flooded fake files.  Its our fix option for your Winmx, and I believe the better fix.

Pie Patch is a hosts file fix that redirects your Winmx to the new caches by changing your system hosts file and has to be reinstalled if there are ever any cache changes, which happens more then we would like.  You also will need to run seperate software to block the RIAA if you use this fix, but it is just that another fix.

So effectively what you have done is to install the Install-2.2-noMX.exe fix, connected and then removed that fix by installing the Pie Patch fix instead.  The Pie patch will disable our fix, and visa versa.

So which ever fix you choose you need to install last.  Just rerun the Install 2.2.exe and you should be fine.

=======================

Response to second post:
Yes I would re-enable your DNS Client
The Pie Patch should have a file labled Uninstall Pie Patch in your program files, however as mentioned above you can simply re install the Install 2.2 to reverse it.
Starting from scratch my advice it so get this file:
http://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-2.2.exe    - As mentioned above, includes Winmx and the Patch.
I can see no reason to disable your DNS Client in XP for either fix.
Mr. Chjitz:
Omega, thanks for your quick response.  My last post actually crossed yours !

You helped clear a lot of this up.
I wound up running both groups patches.
I installed WinMX 3.53 not 3.54 as part of the Install-2-2-noMX.exe

Should DNS Client be enabled or disabled?  Windows XP-PROF machine on a home LAN, using WORKGROUP.
The link I posted contained the fact that the .dll method inside the WinMX directory is a better sollution, I think, because it does NOT effect other programs.  Is that correct?
If it is I guess I am best served with the olepro32.dll which PIE 2.9 gave me the option to leave intact (which I did)?
But did PIE 2.9 mess with my HOST file?  And should I restore that to the Windows default (could you provide how to do this ... just delete what? ... where is the HOST file?)?
If the olepro32.dll inside the WinMX 3.53 directory is the better way to do this, then I guess I do not need the HOST file modification that PIE 2.9 installed??

Thanks again.

Mr. Chjitz:
Me Here (and others)

First you guys are great, and I appreciate your quick on target responses.  My last post crossed yours.

Second me BAD.  I should have said that I first used Install-2.2.exe (NOT the noMX version).  I chose the WimMX 3.53 install that comes with this.
I did wind up with olepro32.dll in the WinMX 3.53 directory.  Just like you explained.

So is the olepro32.dll modifies Winsock better than the PIE 2.9 HOST method then I guess I should revert back to the Window HOST file default.  How do I do this?
Or, should I leave the HOST file as modified by PIE 2.9?
Does PIE 2.9 provide a copy of the BEFORE HOST file changed someplace?

Thanks again ... I will try and type faster :-)
Me Here:
Ok my best advice is this

Install this file:
http://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-2.2-noMX.exe

Restart Mx.. problem solved :D

As for a better explanation of whats doing what lets get you fixed and I will post the answer to your other questions in a few moments
Mr. Chjitz:
Me He wrote, "... lets get you fixed and I will post the answer to your other questions in a few moments ..."

No rush.  I have been able to connect to WinMX network and download BEFORE I posted here.
I posted because I could NOT understand why I did both groups fixes and what they did.  But you have cleared that up!
--------------------------------
Me Here wrote, " ... So effectively what you have done is to install the Install-2.2-noMX.exe fix, connected and then removed that fix by installing the Pie Patch fix instead.  The Pie patch will disable our fix, and visa versa."

As I said I mis-spoke when I said I had used the noMX.exe.
I used the Install-2-2 with WinMX 3.53 and that put olepro32 into the WinMX 5.3 directory.
When I then (redundantly) used PIE 2.9, the install procedure spotted olepro32.dll, and suggested I NOT remove that .dll.  I believe PIE 2.9 provided a check box to NOT remove olepr032.dll.
After installing PIE 2.9, I checked the WinMX 5.3 directory and olepro32.dll is there!
--------------------------------
Me Here wrote, "... (Install-2-2.exe uses our method and) blocks the RIAA IPs that are damaging and causing problems on the Network with flooded fake files.  Its our fix option for your Winmx, and I believe the better fix. ..."

Does your fix have the abiltiy to make changes as RIAA methods change?  That is does the olepro32.dll in the WinMX 5.3 directory need to be changed in future just like the HOST method used by the other group?
----------------------------
You were correct that there is an unistall file with PIE 2.9.
It MXpie_Uninstaller.exe
I will run that and I guess will be exactly where I should be with my original HOST file (whatever that was?), and your groups ole32pro.dll
I did NOT see a backup of my original HOST file, so I wonder how MXpie_Uninstaller willl put it back?
-----------------------
As I said, I have been able to use WinMX, even though I had not  understood that I had managed to install two competing methods.

Thanks for all your help.

I followed the PIE 2.9 install advice
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version