gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 02:31:24 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New Trouble
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Trouble  (Read 2103 times)

GodSmacked

New Trouble
« on: November 09, 2005, 11:32:52 am »
I have a slightly unusual problem and was wondering if anyone could help. All along, i was on dial up - when i recently found out winmx closed, i installed the patch and it worked fine. Yesterday I installed DSL - when i first tried using winmx, it still worked. But my connection was still set for dialup. When i finally got it changed to DSL, it quit working. I downloaded the 1.9 patch and still nothing. I set firewall so that it did not block anything winmx related. I am using XP - any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Anonymous

New Trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:36:35 am »
Also, i forgot to mention, after I installed 1.9 patch, it will no longer allow me to connect with a primary connection, only with seconday again.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
New Trouble
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 09:22:48 pm »
This sounds like you have a port problem, its not uncommon for DSL modems to have what we call NAT or Network Translation Address capabilities.  This just means that it can also act as a router to allow more then one computer to access the internet from the single connection.

The symptoms sound like a typical set up issue.  What is needed to get this resolved is for you to open or 'forward' ports to allow WInMX a connection for TCP and UDP through the DSL modem.

This page should help you get started by guiding you through getting the information that is needed, then sending you on to Port Forward to actually do the forwarding.

Please read this carefully as some of the information here is not given to you at the Portforward.com site.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/routers_info.html

Once you have read through this let me know if you have any questions about this or if you need further help here.

Anonymous

New Trouble
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 09:23:33 pm »
Well thank you so much for trying to help, after 2 days of working on it, i find that a static ip is another 15.00 PER MONTH from my isp, so i dont think i will be getting it. Now i can sign in to winmx with seconday connection, as if i still had dial up, but the transfer rate is the same as it was for dial up. I thought it didnt matter if u picked primary or secondary with dsl, I thought your transfer rate would depend on your connection. anyway, i guess if i want something bad enough, i will spend an hour downloading it. Thank you anyway

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
New Trouble
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 09:35:06 pm »
Ummm - where did you get the stuff about the static ip from?
If it is from the router page - you need a static internal ip for portforwarding.
It doesn't mean you have to have a static external ip assigned by your isp.
Here is a guide for how to set up a static ip in windows xp for instance plus some info about how all this works.
It's not that hard to do and certainly doesn't cost any money, just some time and effort maybe :)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
New Trouble
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:32:28 am »
Also its not necessary to have a static Internal IP, in fact I hope I made that clear in the link I gave you to read.

A static IP is NOT necessary to forward your ports.  I do realize that for some reason Portforward.com seems to think the world will end if you dont set a static Internal IP.  This is the reason I try to tell folks prior to going to Portforward.com.

If you read the link I gave you in my previous post I explained the reasoning behind having a static Internal IP set up, and that I dont think for the average house users its a requirement.

Quote From Router Help
One of the last things that we need to talk about are Static IPs.  This is the ability to set a IP for your specific computer in the router so that it will never change.  
Its been my experience that on a home network of two computers this is NOT necessary and I usually tell folks to SKIP this step, we can always set one later on if you find its a problem.

As for the Secondary connection speeds there are settings you may need to alter, but your correct the speeds depend on the connection type more so then whether you choose primary or secondary to WinMX.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
New Trouble
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 01:38:15 am »
Also its not necessary to have a static Internal IP, in fact I hope I made that clear in the link I gave you to read.

You're absolutely correct in MOST cases, but there are an odd few routers that won't do DHCP for your internal LAN if you have one, Was involved only day before yesterday in setting up port forwarding in just such a case..

It depends SOLEY on the exact model if this is required or not
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Anonymous

New Trouble
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 10:53:16 am »
nylly444
I followed the directions on that page you sent me, and went to mx and cicked on set up, and i still get the message "Winmx is unable to receive incoming TCP connections....." I am an idiot about this stuff. Did I miss something? Sorry to bother you again, and thank you for all your help.
Jodi

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New Trouble

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx