gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 11:29:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  PC reboots on its own ????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PC reboots on its own ????  (Read 1744 times)

Movie Girl

PC reboots on its own ????
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:02:14 am »
here is my system info :
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 build=2600 «» CPUs 1 Speed 1466 MHz «» x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
I have 384 MB RAM

I host a room on winmx, using the fx server 1.32 .. I use metis 2.60 .. I use sharegaurd 2.1.1 ....

now with that said, my pc just bam out of the blue reboots, no warning no nothing, doesnt ask just does it. I have ran several virus and spyware scans, neither is found in my system .  Any suggestions would be helpful.
Why does my pc do this ?????????
Never had this problem before, I have been on winmx for about 2 1/2 years. I hosted about 1 month with no problems, now all the sudden this is happening. can anyone help me please???    ty MG

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 09:17:40 am »
Hi Movie Girl

A bit of a odd one this,but i would start with seeing if windows had done any recent updates ?
If so i would look in my control panel and the select power options and check that your pc is not set to turn off/reboot when idle.
If this fails then a system restore would be my next point off call to the last know good point where your pc worked.
These are just 2 easy things you can try but i will also add that it may even be something else of which i do know about but i am sure someone else might.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 10:52:31 am »
I have often seen this on two types of machine, worm infested or corrupt system files machines and then the other type hardware problems like an intermittent fan on the processor causing overheat and thermal shutdown, you will need to take a look inside to confirm its not this problem but it is important you check for this as processors cost hard cash if it dies  :?  

You can check the system files by running the system file checker,

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command/Msdos prompt,  and enter 'sfc/scannow'.

If there are damaged files it may require you to have your operating system disk handy to make the repairs.

/¥\âx

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:34:34 pm »
i have known this once before, there was a pop-up saying 'your registry needs repair, goto www.... & the system will now restart' but this is not a microsoft site, that time it was a trojen in the registry making the pc re-boot untill their product was downloaded. all that was needed was to restore to a point before this happened and contact microsoft for a security update.  that solved it on that pc.
it might be a good idea to contact microsoft technical help.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 02:45:01 pm »
I would definiatly spend a little extra time double checking the virus scan, it does as Ghost points out sound like a worm, there was a specific one doing the rounds not so long ago (the name escapes me) the worm in question did reboot the pc, we got this worm on one of the work stations at my office, Norton didnt find it.

Not sure what AV you use, but a double check wont take long and is always worth a try:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

Movie Girl

thx everyone
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:13:48 pm »
I did find out what my problem was. the pc was overheating and causing it to reboot. I cleaned my pc, and put an extra fan on it, , since then all as been back to better than normal :} thanks again mg

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 09:57:26 pm »
Cool, a nice ending to the story is always good news cheers for letting us know MG 8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  PC reboots on its own ????

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx