gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 01, 2024, 05:00:46 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  2.2 Patch Installer Settings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2.2 Patch Installer Settings  (Read 2345 times)

i share if u share

2.2 Patch Installer Settings
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:52:20 pm »
Installed the 2.2 Patch successfully and everything is working great but without sounding in anyway critical would it be possible for the installer settings to be made easier or clearer especially for new users. Take my circumstances for example, I am a Windows XP user and use version 3.53 of WinMX ( purely because that is the last official release and I do not wish to use a beta one even if it works). I download the nowinmx 2.2 installer and if I hadn't been told the difference by Me Here common sense would tell me to tick the 3.53 option for 98 ME XP etc but this would have installed the olepro fix. After posting it was then pointed out to me to have the correct fix i.e. the ws32.dll I should tick the 3.54 beta for XP etc setting. Obviously I now know the different patches and settings but isn't this confusing for new users. I am sure there must be 3.53 XP users out there that don't realise they are using the olepro and therefore should be using Peer Guardian as their MX will still be working. I also, like other posters, do not like the idea of the Host File being modified even though the change is minimal and safe, can't we avoid this? As I previously stated these are not meant as criticisms only suggestions that I am sure most rejoiners to MX would agree with. I personally am gratefull for all your help and expertise in getting us back up and running and appreciate how much time and effort you all at WinMXWorld put in to your work for us. Thanks.

KM

2.2 Patch Installer Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:45:26 pm »
it doesn't actually matter any more, that's why it is being cautious and recomending 3.53 in cases where it can't be completely sure that 3.54 will work (the 3.53 version will work in nearly all cases whereas the 3.54 one has issues with several things, most notably windows 9x, or IE7 on XP) - but patch versions 2.0 and above it doesn't really matter which version you use, the only difference is that the "new version avaliable" message doesn't work for 3.53 as it isn't able to modify the URL that winmx requests to add a version number to it to check that :-)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  2.2 Patch Installer Settings

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx