gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 03, 2024, 04:37:12 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  install 2.0-noMX
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: install 2.0-noMX  (Read 2405 times)

so_

install 2.0-noMX
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:21:17 am »
Holy crap, I just did this update, and within minutes of connecting to a primary, I had close to 100 hits in my peer guardian. Most of them were from,

MVSN-sympatico
globix
Performance Systems International-ed2k/ap2p
Macrovision Corp.
Macrovision -IGS
Macrovision-Globix

All the source ip's were different, all were TCP protocol and action taken against all of them were blocked.

Even after disconnecting from winmx I continued to get these hits.
Before I did this 2.0 update, I had 1.9 v of the patch, and never got this many hits. On my last shutdown of winmx, I was running a secondary connection, with 0 hits in peer guardian.

What gives?

so_

Anonymous

install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:23:50 am »
BTW, Im running 3.5.4.0 beta. on winxp pro, sp2. cable connection.

Anonymous

install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 12:58:53 am »
I continued to get hits in PG for 20 or so minutes after disconnecting from winmx, so I went in and closed the ports I was using for winmx, and no more hits. I was using 26699 TCP, and 26257 UDP. This has never happened before with winmx, until I did the 2.0 upgrade. Can anyone explain this to me?

ps> sorry for all the replys, no edit.

so_

Anonymous

install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:45:49 am »
Well, I uninstalled everything and started over. Used 1.9 this time and everything seems to be ok for now.

I did the 2.0 upgrade by clicking on the "update available" from the winmx window. I just went back and looked at it again and it's from "winmx group". I never payed any attention to that earlier. WTF is this winmx group? Bogus?

so_

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:44:09 am »
HI So_
Yes we are being hit hard by the Macrovision flooding the network and trying their best to attach themselves to primaries and use their bandwidth to carry out DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks on us.

What your seeing on Peer Guardian is nothing new to most, its quite normal for them to stay trying to attach to you for hours after turning off WinMX even.

This is why we are preaching the need for every primary to use something to block them as you are now using pg2 with our block list to ensure its up to date for WinMX.. Good job!!

The 2.0 upgrade is just that, its a fixed dll patch for your WinMx, the main differences are that this one does block the riaa for 98/ME users!!
WinMxGroup has been developing this patch and its been in use since nearly the beginning of our new caches.  That patch was made by KM, who is also running one of the main caches we all use to connect.  You can most certainly trust that this is a upgrade patch to the Install 1.9 and should see better performance from this upgrade as well.  

With the 1.9 patch, when running pg2 along with it, you may have seen those hits on pg2 as it receives the request for a connection before the dll, this means that although the ws2_32.dll patch for XP also blocked the dangerous connection you still would have seen them first on Pg2.  Its not a problem to run the pg2 and use the 2.0 patch.  Obviously the patch helps you to connect to WinMx with the added bonus of blocking IPs from the RIAA, and PG2 also blocks these same IPs if you have our block list added.

Hope this helps to clear some of this up for you, if there is anything i didnt clear up or didnt make clear let me know..

Anonymous

install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 03:03:28 pm »
Thanks Me Here, yes this does clear up alot of questions I had. Never really paid any attention before, that the updates were from winmx group, just always assumed they were from here.

I will go ahead with the 2.0 upgrade again, and yes PG is updated regularly with your blocklist.

You are so right about being hit hard by the flooding. I ran a secondary all night with roughly 20 hits in PG, then switched to primary this morning, and had hundreds of hits within a couple of minutes. So your saying as long as I keep my PG blocklist up to date, patches up to date, I will be safe?

Thanks again Me Here for your help.

so_

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 03:06:39 pm »
Yes, that should keep you fine, and your doing your part to protect other users as well..

If you have anyother questions about it all just hollar at us here.. :wink:

Offline itsbry

• Forum Member
install 2.0-noMX
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 04:56:14 pm »
I always wondered if PG2 was doing it right... the list just continuously flows with 5or 6 per second blocked... cool.
Primary User
Win XP Pro SP2
Comcast Cable Modem
WinMX v3.54 beta
MX Monitor

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  install 2.0-noMX

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx