gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76778 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1650 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever June 26, 2024, 04:13:47 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Huge % of cpu usage by 3.54 beta normal?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Huge % of cpu usage by 3.54 beta normal?  (Read 1173 times)

lovewinmx2222

Huge % of cpu usage by 3.54 beta normal?
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:32:13 pm »
I recently had some problems connecting to the network using 3.53, the pie patch and both prim and sec connections.  I went back to the vladd44 site and found out how to do the unistall/reinstall without the .dll file lurking in my system.  Did all of that and reinstalled 3.54 beta instead of the 3.53 that I was using.  I am able to connect using a prim connection, dl/ul and searching seems to be fine, but I cannot run any other program at the same time as Winmx takes up so much of my cpu usage and slows down every task!

Is this normal?  I didn't have this problem before with the 3.53 ver.  Should I just uninstall 3.54 and reinstall another ver? If so, which one?

I run a system with Pent 4 1.7 GHZ, winXP, and 768 MB RAM.

lovewinmx2222

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 03:39:37 pm »
Hmmmm.  Just poking around the forum a bit more and came across a post about not having to run PG2 if I was running 3.54.  I am on a prim connection, should I still be running PG, or can I close it and will that affect my cpu usage %?  I should have all the correct patches in places.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:40:04 pm »
If your still using a pie patch and primary then yes you need to use pg2, the site is talking about users on the patch from www.winmxgroup.com/ which by the way now works to block the riaa on 3.53 also.

There are a few things you can do to lessen the cpu usage, which can be caused by the larger hosts files like pie being used.  And to be fair can also be caused by your Allocated Bandwidth settings in the WinMx 3.54.

I would suggest this:

Try the patch from the www.winmxgroup.com/
Get the one without MX in it, and run this for a bit, see if it helps your cpu usage.
Once this is done you can shut down pg2 and just run the patch.
Look at your Settings > WinMX Peer Network > Allocated Bandwidth.. set this at 7 KB/s Out and 10 KB/s In...
Set the Thread Duty Cycle down to 40% here also.  Try running like this for a few hours and see if it helps.

lovewinmx2222

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:47:11 pm »
Thanks, Me!

I did what you suggested.  My bandwidth was already set to the limits that you suggested, but the other stuff needed to be changed to meet your specs.  Seems to be running at a much lower usage right now.  I am also running another program simultaneously and it still seems to be ok.  hopefully, if you don't hear from me again tomorrow, all should remain well!!

you have made me a happy winmx user once again!!

Long live winmx!  Woohoo!

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
Re: Huge % of cpu usage by 3.54 beta normal?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:44:06 am »
Quote from: lovewinmx2222
I recently had some problems connecting to the network using 3.53, the pie patch and both prim and sec connections.  I went back to the vladd44 site and found out how to do the unistall/reinstall without the .dll file lurking in my system.  Did all of that and reinstalled 3.54 beta instead of the 3.53 that I was using.  I am able to connect using a prim connection, dl/ul and searching seems to be fine, but I cannot run any other program at the same time as WinMx takes up so much of my cpu usage and slows down every task!

Is this normal?  I didn't have this problem before with the 3.53 ver.  Should I just uninstall 3.54 and reinstall another ver? If so, which one?

I run a system with Pent 4 1.7 GHZ, winXP, and 768 MB RAM.

I suggest installing Taskinfo to really monitor this.  It has options to graph CPUsage  for both the system and each process [and over a dozen other system functions including TCP in/out bandwidth usage].

On my 333mHX AMD-K6, sharing over 2500 files, winmx v 3.54 beta 4 averages under 11% CPUsage over a 24 hour period

On my AMD Athlon 2500+, also over 2500 files shared, CPUsage was only 3.68% averaged over 24 hours.

Taskinfo will show this for each process.  So you can see what CPU load MxMonitor is causing as well as PG2 separately.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Huge % of cpu usage by 3.54 beta normal?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx