gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 29, 2024, 03:29:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Why is patch 2.2 trying to modify my system hosts file ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why is patch 2.2 trying to modify my system hosts file ?  (Read 1820 times)

Rubbles

Why is patch 2.2 trying to modify my system hosts file ?
« on: January 31, 2006, 02:25:40 am »
The main reason why I'm using your patch and not the PIE stuff is not needing and not wanting to mess with system files in the first place, including hosts.

I hope this is just some temporary quick-fix crap in 2.2 which will disappear in new patch versions ?

KM

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 03:12:01 am »
it doesn't effect anything not related to winmx, it is just there for the "Patch Operational" message for 3.53, just a cosmetic thing nothing essential :-)

Rubbles

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:00:42 am »
Thanks (for everything) KM, I did install 3.54 however and my hosts file is locked in any case, otherwise everything seems to be working fine without that line it wanted to add. It'd still be great not having it wanting to do stuff like that, previous versions worked just fine without it. Or just keep it to 3.53 possibly ?

KM

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 11:51:34 am »
the reason the 3.54 version does it is because they share the same code, they have the bits specific to each fixes loading method in the source for it, but then include a common file that contains all of the workings of the patch

but the only effect anyone would notice with it is that it effectively erases the hosts files released by certain other people, that is a small side effect that i may or may not change, depends if i have the time... considering they don't seem to have the time to remove the ws2_32.dll deletion from their installer... who said you couldn't make every thread on a forum about politics? :-P

Rubbles

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:30:40 pm »
Tsk tsk  :mrgreen:  :lol:

Dick Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:55:20 pm »
Argh! People *please* get rid of this thing in the next patch. I use Zone Alarm and now after installing your patch 2.2 it keeps asking me about Winmx trying to access the hosts file each time I run Winmx... and for some reason the usual "apply for future questions" feature iz ZA isn't working with this particular problem. :-(

For the time being I'm reverting to patch 2.0 .

masterless

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
Same here.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:00:17 pm »
Quote from: KM
but the only effect anyone would notice with it is that it effectively erases the hosts files released by certain other people, that is a small side effect that i may or may not change, depends if i have the time... considering they don't seem to have the time to remove the ws2_32.dll deletion from their installer... who said you couldn't make every thread on a forum about politics? :-P

So you are axpressly admitting that your winmx DLL is a trojan horse?

That it intentionally contains unneeded, unexpected code that destroys/alters other data?  And that this is for some petty, retaliation?  tsk tsk.

Trojan horse: 1. An apparently harmless program containing malicious logic that allows the unauthorized collection, falsification, or destruction of data. [2382-pt.8] 2. [A] program containing hidden code allowing the unauthorized collection, falsification, or destruction of information. [INFOSEC-99]

http://www.atis.org/tg2k/_trojan_horse.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 12:18:54 am »
Quote from: KM
it doesn't effect anything not related to WinMx, it is just there for the "Patch Operational" message for 3.53, just a cosmetic thing nothing essential :-)

Are we having reading difficulties now?

It has a purpose, up until now 3.53 users with the WinMxGroup Patch had No message at the top in the message bar, no way of knowing if there are updates or other important announcments.. that is the purpose now lets move on with life..

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Why is patch 2.2 trying to modify my system hosts file ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx