gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 29, 2024, 10:31:31 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Viewing my "Whois"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Viewing my "Whois"  (Read 1785 times)

Joseph

Viewing my "Whois"
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:46 pm »
Not sure if this is a indicator of a problem or not. After I open winmx,  I check myself by going into any chatroom, I can see my nic in the chatter's column w/ files shared but vary rarely can I view my [whois] or send myself a message....I usually receive "no response from remote host". I read about checking one's self here from a tutorial on viewing your own full file path folder name. I have the current pie patch [please be patient!!!] and use winmx 3.53.        Tks for any input

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: Viewing my "Whois"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:06 pm »
This is usually an indication of a port not being set up right.. usually when its browses and pms etc.. its due to a udp port.

Do you have a router or DSL modem?
Are you on secondary or primary connection to WinMx?
Are you able to browse others?

If your on a primary and you have numbers for both at the top
ie:  P=7 S=13  for example then there is another problem you may have.

Many times color codes infront of the user name seem to interfere with getting a report back.  Try removing them if you have them.

Joseph

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:06:45 pm »
Tks for replying
An example of my up top is <online P=6 S=12 spm=14229
I am a primary connection
I am able to view other's stats, browse, message, search, DL, and share
I'm behind a D-link Di 604 router with TCP 8888 and UDP 9999 set in my router and in winMX, as per D-Link F & A section for the recommended (I guess) port numbers and portforward.com, the only difference between the 2 sites is D-Link also defined them as TCP and UDP, where portforward showed my port protocol as [both]
and no bells 'n' whistles in front of my screen name
                                                                            Tks agin 4 ur time, Joe

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 12:17:21 am »
Well that tells me that your primary is working almost completely correctly.  Messing with ports wont help us on this, obviously the important bits are working so messing with those could get us worse off then we are now.

I am curious can others browse you at all?
o you have any color codes or strange characters such as acsii art in your nickname?

Not to hound you about it, but there are a few characters that give Winmx fits.. and this problem, the few times I have seen it (myself included), was a nickname issue.. strangness... Let me know..

I might also add.. although I dont think its related.. but eh.. its worth mentioning.. that the protocol should be set to one TCP port 8888 and one UDP port 9999, instead of both.  WinMx works better and you dont get UDP interuptions with you use seperate rules.

KM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:38:23 am »
erm, are you behind a router? as most home routers will block loopback data (ie. if you try to send things to yourself, it won't work) - in which case trying to do a whois or browse on yourself will make winmx send a request to itself - which the router won't allow

Joseph

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:51:03 pm »
Tks again and sorry 4 the delayed reply
   After I posted my second message, I also thought about re-defining my TCP and UDP for in and out respectively, so I did and sure enough I was able 2 see my stats and message myself.....but instead of reporting  back here w/ my findings, I gave it a day trial...Following day opened winMX to the same issues, so I rebooted my machine and it worked right out the gate, so it looks like a reboot for the day allows me 2 view my stats.    I'm not a pc guru, so is this a simple "tip on working w/ computers" or did this give u'all a better window of a problem I have?
    To recap...prior to any pc reboot, I was always to browse others, view their stats, message them, DL from them, share w/ them and search 4 files etc.....LOL, if I found myself from a search , I can up/dwn load me too.
    It wasn't until I rebooted after I changed my router setting and agian the next day, I realized it seems I regain my ability 2 view my stats and message myself by rebooting
   Another Q,....In the winMX wizard setup for UDP it refers to Tx & Rx, so should I set my router protocol for UDP to [both]  or leave it as [out] ?
   Once again, Tks 2 both of you 4 spending time w/ this issue...I guess its really no biggy

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 12:32:12 am »
Joseph,

Often if rebooting your computer fixes that sort of problem then it might be that you need to set a static ip in the router or modem.  When some routers/modems reboot they give a number to a computer different because of the boot up sequence of the computers on your network.  Setting a static Internal IP is easy to do, and could solve that problem for me possibly.  Normally you wont see normal numbers for P= and S= unless that internal ip is correct so that didnt sound like your problem.. but it does now..

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Your router protocol is better left with TCP set for a port and UDP set for a port.  Setting to both may also be causing your interuptions to your browses...

Joseph

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:27 am »
 this machine is using a static IP...... use the following IP 192.168.1.249
                                                                   subnet  255.255.255.0
                                                                 gateway  192.168.1.2
                                                         preferred DNS  192.168.1.2
                                                          alternate DNS  4.2.2.2

It was set 2 static IP so I can play around w/ disabling DCHP servers in wireless routers 2 take advantage of the wireless access point features

Damn, can't win 
                                                                                       Tks, Joe

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:23:21 am »
I really think Joseph that if you get the UDP set to a UDP protocol and not a BOTH this will help your problem..

*hopes*

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Viewing my "Whois"

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx