gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 05:30:20 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  PeerGuardian dead?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PeerGuardian dead?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Larigot

• Forum Member
PeerGuardian dead?
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:09:49 am »
I've just installed Peer Guardian and tried several times to check updates.  The result is always "Error contacting URL: failed connect to www.bluetack.co.uk:80; No error."  The Task in the column to the left reads "http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/lists/p2p.php".  I've tried to access the http://peerguardian URL with web browser and it can't find this page, either.  Peerguardian is blocking 0 IPs, so I assume that there is no point in running it until this problem is corrected.

Does anyone know what's happening?

Other questions: I THINK that I have set my Symantec firewall and  router so that WinMX gets through o.k. with ports TCP 6699 and UDP 6257.  At least WinMX is happy; but not knowing either the firewall or the router very well, I wonder whether there is a better way.  If anyone is familiar with these (router-DSL modem = Trendnet TW100-BRM504) I'd be glad to run what I did past you so you could advise me on whether I did the right things.  (No, I didn't just unlock a whole range of ports).

Finally-- When setting up WinMX we have the opportunity to use the SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 proxy.  Can someone explain what using these involves and what the advantages would be?

Thanks!  After reading of the various problems others have had, I guess I've been lucky thus far all told.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
Re: PeerGuardian dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:49:38 am »
Hi Larigot,

Peerguardian seems to be migrating their lists atm, so they will probably be down for another while yet.
If you're using the patch from www.winmxgroup.com however you don't need PG anymore - unless you're using other p2p software as well of course ;)

If you still prefer running PG2 try using it with our Blocklist, Instructions on how to add it are here.

If you can connect and your uploads/downloads are fine I'd say the port forwarding for winmx works and wouldn't touch it - why fix something that's not broken?

A proxy server is a server you would connect to that would then connect to winmx for you. Unless you can afford to pay for a good one that would be quite slow though, so not much use for the normal user. Socks4 and socks 5 are just different protocols here afaik.
The advantage would be that your connections wouldn't go directly, i.e. your IP would be hidden. But like I said the performance sucks :)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline Larigot

• Forum Member
Re: PeerGuardian dead?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:52:16 pm »
Thanks, nylly.  Actually I got it working after reviewing the tutorial and putting in the list addresses given there.  As they say, when all else fails, read the instructions :-)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  PeerGuardian dead?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx