gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 20, 2024, 02:27:36 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Legal Defense - Kazaa Paid My Tab
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Legal Defense - Kazaa Paid My Tab  (Read 632 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
New Legal Defense - Kazaa Paid My Tab
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:37 am »
This defense is a bit tongue in cheek but is actually based on good legal ground, you cannot sue for the same damages multiple times  :D

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061117-8246.html

A novel defense comes courtesy of Arista v. Greubel, filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas. David Greubel argues that even if is found liable for copyright infringement, Arista and the other record labels are barred from recovering any damages because the of the Kazaa settlement.

In his first affirmative defense to Arista's complaint, Greubel says that the RIAA has been "fully satisfied for any liability and damages" due to his alleged conduct because of its settlement with Sharman Networks. Since the RIAA held Kazaa's parent company liable for the infringement of Kazaa users, Greubel argues, the cartel has been fully compensated for whatever harm Greubel may have done.

Greubel also plays the excessive damages card. Following the argument made by Marie Lindor in UMG v. Lindor, Greubel says that the statutory damages of $750 per song sought by the record labels are unconstitutionally excessive. Noting that the labels would have received 70¢ in revenues from the legal download of each track listed in the original complaint, Greubel argues that actual damages should be capped at four times that figure, or $2.80 per song.

Did the RIAA shoot itself in the foot with respect to file-sharing when it settled with Sharman Networks? The plaintiffs will no doubt argue that despite Kazaa having settled the case, which compensates the record labels for damages allegedly inflicted upon them by Kazaa's users, individual defendants should still be held liable for infringement. Still, the notion that file-sharing defendants are off the hook for damages now that Kazaa has settled is bound to be a popular one with defendants.

This should be an interesting legal approach as 100 Million in damages should indeed cover a multitude of sins, Lets hope that this case is allowed to move forward along with others and end up with some sensible legal precedents.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: New Legal Defense - Kazaa Paid My Tab
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:05:23 pm »
Did they win a lottery?
750$ per song?????  :shock:

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Legal Defense - Kazaa Paid My Tab

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx