gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 11, 2024, 11:25:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  winmx at university
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: winmx at university  (Read 1330 times)

Offline zigg

• Forum Member
winmx at university
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:43:01 pm »
Hi guys,
           I have just installed winmx on my daughter's pc at her university, but can't get it to connect. The connection is wireless, and she has to log in to a 'guest net'....no one here at the moment seems to know much about it at all, so, don't know if it uses socks 4 or 5, or if it can or can't recieve tcp etc, etc.......sorry I can't be more specific at the moment, but it's early evening, and there's no one to ask.
   Is it possible that the university has set things so as not to allow p2p software?..........or does anyone have any sort of clue what I can do?
       I'll be leaving for home shortly, so will get back here on my pc later............thanks guys....   :-)

p.s. She can get on the internet ok.....

KM

Re: winmx at university
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:49:00 pm »
if it's through a HTTP proxy then winmx won't work (aka no internet access, just access to web pages), if however data can be routed out (either directly routable or via NAT) then winmx will work, or alternatively if they provide a SOCKS proxy you can use that (you'd have to find it first... aka ask them)

the simplest test is if you go to start > run > type cmd, then type "ping www.google.com", if you get a couple of replies then winmx should work fine - if there is no reply it means that there is probably no actual internet access only a HTTP proxy for web pages, in which case you'd have to ask for a SOCKS proxy server to use (or they could just be blocking pings, but that isn't too likely)

Offline zigg

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:36:59 am »
Thanks KM, will try that and report back.............. :)

Offline zigg

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:08:57 pm »
Ok, I've got my daughter to run that test.........and she gets a reply.........so that's good news, yeah?.. But still can't get winmx to connect.......I tried fiddling when I was there, but to no avail, so I'm stumped atm. All help very welcome guys.... :) :) :)

Offline zigg

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 07:12:42 pm »
Just to add to that.........she can get all the usual internet stuff, and use MSN chat, emails , surf etc,etc....winmx is theonly thing she can't get to work......oh, and I can't connect to her with my webcam over MSN either.....but can with my other daughter, who is at her home, just remembered that... :wink:

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:48:24 am »
She must probably must be on a proxy server

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  winmx at university

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx