gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76785 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 24, 2024, 09:20:52 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters  (Read 700 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:20:59 am »
In the usual fanfare of publicity Billy and co are out on another mission to monopolise any and all site names that sound like their own.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6449363.stm

Microsoft is pursuing five alleged UK-based cybersquatters in its battle against firms and individuals who have registered variations or misspellings of its key brands, such as Xbox.
It is already pursuing hundreds of lawsuits in the US and is now keen to extend its reach in Europe.
It marks a toughening in the way the software giant deals with the issue of cybersquatting.
It is also calling for a tightening in the way domain names are registered.

Whilst there is some benefit to be had in removing some of the more dangerous spy ware laden sites that use name variants, the worrying trend of litigating against those who Microsoft deem are stepping on their toes is tantamount to a claim of ownership that in reality does not exist.

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
Re: Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:14:49 am »
I agree 100%.

I hate to see the spyware filled sites that lie in wait for anyone not giving perfect spelling, but you are very right in stating that M$ cannot be claiming ownership of something that they do not own.

I can understand from a business sense that it would be practical to have every variation point to them, but they should have to purchase the domain names from the owners, not sue for them!

(I appologizre if I have not made much sense...I am writing this under the influence of a LOT of tequila :) )

Best Regards, and Be Good!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:33:04 am »
Well, why must they purchase the domain names (although, yes, they can more than well afford to do so). They mislabel their products with full intention to fool users, who mistake them for original ones.

Atleast they are taking notice and preventing a people from falling prey.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Take On Alleged Squatters

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx