gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 21, 2024, 08:28:56 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Downloading concern - are "they" sending us viruses?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downloading concern - are "they" sending us viruses?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Melody

• Forum Member
Downloading concern - are "they" sending us viruses?
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:15:35 pm »
I browsed a user's files that I was in que to download from & 2 of their files had a message "This is an .exe file & can contain a virus. Do you wish to proceed?"
My computer is continually crashing, so I'm wondering if this is the new weapon of those "scum".
Is anyone else having troubles with their computers crashing?
I'm using an anti-virus.
I use -c: in my search.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: Downloading concern - are "they" sending us viruses?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:32:21 pm »
Hi Melody,

That is a standard message that has been there for as long as I can remember.  If you have not normally seen it before there is a setting you can change on WinMX to 'surpress' those warnings and maybe you have ticked or unticked it.  Its in Settings > File Transfers > Look on the right at the last two choices on the box. 

Computer crashes can be caused by many things.  The most common im aware of for your entire PC to crash and shut down is a processor that is over heating.  Im sure there are others on the site that can offer you more advice about that and how to check it.  If you suspect this you may want to remove the side of the PC and make sure your fans are all running while the PC is on.  Esp the one on the actual processor.  If they are running ok, try leaving the side off for a while and see if it continures.

You mention the -c and that is no longer working.  The only way to filter fakes files out of yoru searches that can cause WinMX to crash is by using the WinMX Group Patch.  If your update bar doesnt say Patch Operational in the top above Networks then be sure to reinstall from here:

www.winmxgroup.com

If your WinMX is the only thing crashing and your not sure what patch you have then reinstall from that site.  Remove any incomplete files you have setting in transfers especially ones with 0% and then refind sources.

Offline Melody

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:50 pm »
Thanks Me Here. I've just never seen that "standard message" before.
Yes - I am using "Patch Operational"
No  - My computer crashes in any program so I can't blame WinMx. (My computer has been to the doctors more times than I have!!!!) :lol:
Could a date be added to future Tutorials so I have an idea if they still may be relevant.
Thanks again.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:14:32 am »
There are dates on the bottom of all pages.. something i hated until recently when KM made it in the 'center' for me to look nice and neat..Most tutorials that are completely irrelevant are removed from the index and although we do try to keep up I must admit the Chat Server ones do need a face lift however, the material is still relevant just missing some new features.  If there is anything in particular your concerned about let me know.. like if you still see the -c somewhere.. and I'll be sure to fix it.  We have tried and tried to get volunteers to go through the site and check things like this and links and such but with all the material we have on site most folks give up.. :S

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:38:10 am »
Usually computers crash dueto viruses, etc else corrupt drivers or something. In these cases, the shut down is a bit predictable eg: it happens when i open *that* program, or it crashes when I open that file, etc

If it is absolutely un predictible, it will be like our computer... it crashed thrice without warning when running three absolutely unrelated programs and never came back when it crashed the fourth time...

* SamSeeSam hopes that those technicians will come and take the motherboard roday, else he'll be stuck on the other one for ever
:(
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:28:34 pm »
**Applauses Me Here's Great Helping Techniques**

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Downloading concern - are "they" sending us viruses?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx