gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 08, 2024, 01:21:23 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  SoundCards? Audigy-SoundBlaster Who knows 'bout them?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SoundCards? Audigy-SoundBlaster Who knows 'bout them?  (Read 5113 times)

Offline HighIncident808

• Forum Member
SoundCards? Audigy-SoundBlaster Who knows 'bout them?
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:57:17 am »
recently purchased Dell system, Dimension E520, asked for upgraded Audigy "soundblaster" soundcard option.
it arrived Friday.
The souncard Software model is as shown "advanced MB" "HD", all I really know. Sound is incredibly faint, if anything lower softer than on standard computer with no card. My old computer had a "Soundblaster 16" card,apparently that is same parent company Creative-Audigy, that's an old outdated soundcard they dont even sell anymore I dont think, it was twice this volume, I wouldnt call it anything special still, but acceptable/good.
but this..
I have rerun the software, makes no difference, i have checked all volume settings,including "wave" , including on the realplayer slide, are all showing full volume. Looking at online help pages about souncards, checked the hardware showing in "device manager",
In order, These are the items showing in the device manager menu:
"[b]Audio codecs"
"Legacy audio Drivers"
"Legacy Video Capture devices"
"Media Control devices"
"SigmaTel high definition audio Codec"
"Unimodem Half-duplex audio device"
"Video codecs"[/b]

then it goes to the "system devices" heading.

I do wonder why the word "Audigy" or "soundblaster" or "blaster", isn't mentioned on that devices list, I'm reluctant to open the machine up as it is brand-new under Warranty dell, a sound-card was on the option list, and the software had been run or seemed to have, Audigy CD was in unopened packet with the bits and pieces but I imagine they have their own copies and run them at Dell on various installations.

then it goes to the "system device" heading.

At my wits end as to how a system with any soundcard could be this soft a sound, with a DVD movie in it, have to have silence around me in the house to hear speech.
There is no point playing an MP3 on the computer as it is too soft to even be worth playing music, on old computer, was at least audible throughout most of house.

The speakers are plugged into the hole shown, there are 5 or 6 similiar holes around it, but none of the others produce any sound with speakers plugged in.

I am wondering to some extent if the card has even been installed, shouldn't it show in that "Device manager" hardware list?
Would it be physically obvious if the thing was there if I lifted the lid, are they typically marked what they are, and it obvious they are connected?
They are bascially a bit of green circuit board which should have the name of what it is written somewhere, right?
they just plug into motherboard, should stand out, right?

Offline HighIncident808

• Forum Member
Re: SoundCards? Audigy-SoundBlaster Who knows 'bout them?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:14 am »

Re:Q Have you looked in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices? What's it say in there?

A:Which tab?

if the hardware Tab, it has the items ive listed in the OP under device manager,

with the addition of

TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-H653A
Sigma TelHigh definition audio CODEC
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio device.
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media control devices
Legacy video Capture Devices
VideoCodecs.

in "sound playback" tab, has "SigmaTelAudio" as default device

Micromecca

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:26:39 am »
is this Windows Vista O/S as it has a habbit of reporting the devices chipset 'type' rather than the actual chipset 'model'

:D

Myth!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:27:18 pm »
i presume your speakers are powered (plugged into the mains) as all the sockets on an audigy are line-level out and not for passive speakers to be plugged in

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  SoundCards? Audigy-SoundBlaster Who knows 'bout them?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx