gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 06:29:57 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  98 & ME Users & New Patch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 98 & ME Users & New Patch  (Read 3839 times)

98 & ME Users & New Patch
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:31:48 am »
Is there a new patch that works for the 98/ME O/S?  I have still been using the older hosts file workaround.  I can still connect to the WPN but it's hard to stay connected for extended periods. For the most part, I still have to rely on the small opennaps.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:37:13 am »
Guest KM is working on resolving that matter, for now I suggest you hold tight to what ya got...

Hes really good, but damn busy lately.. lol

As soon as he has it available it will be announced on the front page..  :wink:

KM

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:24:49 pm »
it is almost certainly something small and simple preventing the patch working on 9x, but i cant see the damn problem to fix it, lol

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 11:42:45 pm »
I guess I'll have to keep using the old patch.  I'm certainly not reformatting and reinstalling O/S just to run WinMx.  The host file seems to work OK for now.  IN 98/Me most .dll files appear in the C:\Windows and C:Windows\System directories not C:\Windows\System32 , so maybe the problem lies in that.  Good luck.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:09:07 am »
I agree, that would be just silly to reformat.. lol when your working it sounds like quite well..

KM

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 04:36:57 am »
reformatting wouldn't help anyway... :-P

MMCMkiran

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 06:10:11 am »
heyya guyz,
kinda new to this forum, but been a WinMX junkie for ages... so when winmx went down started looking for other dl sources... got more into torrents and stuf but most of the other P2P apps SUCK!!!!  mwahaha  :cry:  I WANT MY WINMX..

I held of putting the hosts file in my drivers folder waiting for this patch, bUT I'm using Windows 98 so patch isn't working (just wondering what does the ME stand for in 98/ME ?)

N e way so now looks like I have to go with the hosts file changes, need some help there.. from what I remember: Need to put the downloaded "hosts" folder into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers .. and rename the other hosts file to "oldhosts"..

This is where I'm confused... WHAT do I rename to "Oldhosts"... There are no folders in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers .. only system files.

Some help please!!

kiran

MMCMkiran

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 06:25:51 am »
I just went to this https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=430 website.. which says the same thing I read before.. BUT here's the thing.. site says that once I've downloaded and unzipped the hosts file it should go in the folders:
1.  c:\windows\hosts   OR:
2.  c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

NEITHER of these folders exist in my comp... so where on earth would I put it???

I remember reading sumthing about how there's an old host file that needs to b renamed and that this one replaces that.. I did I file search and found a system file called "host" in c:\windows
Is this the one I'm looking to replace?? Can some1 please confirm, becoz I dun wanna mess with system file unless I know exactly what I'm doin.
thanx

MMCMkiran

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:27:55 am »
oh btw ~ that file in C:\window is "SAM" file (?) not a .sys file (?)

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 12:26:59 pm »
Quote from: MMCMkiran
I just went to this https://forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=430 website.. which says the same thing I read before.. BUT here's the thing.. site says that once I've downloaded and unzipped the hosts file it should go in the folders:
1.  c:\windows\hosts   OR:
2.  c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

NEITHER of these folders exist in my comp... so where on earth would I put it???

thanx

You've misinterpreted.

hosts is not a folder---its a FILE. In 9x it's located in c:windows, in XP it's located in the etc folder.

The instructions are correct. The reason to rename your existing holsts FILE to oldhosts is so that you can go back if there are problems.

NYcram

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 09:53:38 am »
Quote from: MMCMkiran
oh btw ~ that file in C:\window is "SAM" file (?) not a .sys file (?)

Ignore the files names hosts.sam and lhosts.sam

sam = sample..

the real file is just 5 letters with no extension  = "hosts"

Pingu

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 03:20:29 pm »
Hi All
I have a home LAN with 2 PCs, one's running Xp and the other Win 98.
WinMx is installed on the Xp side and the whole folder is shared with the 98 side, i.e. the application could be run at the same time on both PC.

With the new patch, the 98 PC can't run WinMX any more. My question is would installing ONLY the host file on the win 98 PC solve the problem or should I install the whole app. with the host file?

Thanks in Advance

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 03:52:05 pm »
Installing just the hosts file should be sufficient to get you back on..

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 08:14:41 am »
Quote from: Pingu
Hi All
I have a home LAN with 2 PCs, one's running Xp and the other Win 98.
WinMx is installed on the Xp side and the whole folder is shared with the 98 side, i.e. the application could be run at the same time on both PC.

With the new patch, the 98 PC can't run WinMX any more. My question is would installing ONLY the host file on the win 98 PC solve the problem or should I install the whole app. with the host file?

Thanks in Advance

The DLL 'patch' fix does not work on win98 systems yet.  remove it.

This up-to-date hosts file solution works for win98-me-2k-XP

http://www.vladd44.com/mx/piepatch.php

Expert recommendations here:

http://www.vladd44.com/mx/peercaches.php

KM

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 10:14:39 am »
...if you want to call vladd as an expert, personally i'd rather call him... well, many things :-P

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 04:46:49 pm »
There really is not much difference with any of the host file fixes they all work the same and call the same peer caches.  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  98 & ME Users & New Patch

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx