gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 02, 2024, 08:30:18 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Networked and not connecting
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Networked and not connecting  (Read 2410 times)

kdbrooks

Networked and not connecting
« on: May 18, 2006, 09:55:39 pm »
I have two machines on a network, neither can connect.  System 1 is running XP Pro (latest & greatest software updates) via wireless port w/DSL service behind a Linksys router (WRT54G), I've downloaded the beta version w/patch from this site and installed.  Followed tutorials concerning routers and firewalls (have turned off Windows firewall, router firewall, running McAfee firewall).  WinMX flashes yellow lights only.

System 2 is more antiquated running Win 98 and connected via ethernet to above mentioned router.  Again, the router tutorial was followed, but to no avail (system not protected by firewall, but I would like to utilize the routers firewall abilities to protect both systems if possible).  WinMX v3.53 w/patch installed from this site.

Any ideas?

KM

Re: Networked and not connecting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:02:17 am »
do you run any antivirus software? if so check it hasn't picked up the patch (unfortunately the method the patch uses to get in to winmx is one that in theory shouldn't be needed by anything except viruses... in practice it's the only realistic way to do it)

I have not yet heard of any antivirus software deciding to mess with the patch, however it is a possibility

also check in the winmx directory (c:\program files\winmx unless you changed it) that for the 3.54 version there is a ws3_32.dll and for the 3.53 version there is a olepro32.dll

however the fact neither computer is working could hint at other problems - so also try running "telnet 82.195.155.5 7952", it should come back with a load of random junk then disconnect if it's working properly

let me know...

kdbrooks

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:56:56 am »
ran the telnet command and got the gibberish now.  Then it states "connection to host lost"

After posting, I looked at the dsl modem settings and turned off the firewall...this allowed the beta winmx to connect, but now I get no results from the searches.  I went through the process of setting up a primary (installing peer guardian & updating the block/allow lists)...with further thought, I forwarded the required ports for the dsl modem as well...but still no luck...the other machine still doesn't make a connection

Feeling like the man to St Ive's...wireless router, dsl router, McAfee Firewall (which is allowing the patch to work correctly I assume says Patch Operational), Windows firewall, router firewalls.....systematically I think I'll retrace my steps with the set-ups for each item...any suggestions?

KM

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:06 am »
the patch operational means that the patch loaded (as you've noticed it doesn't mean everything is working, merely that the patch has loaded and that bit is working)

If you had no search results (assuming on primary) with a direct connection then that means your modem is probably one of those with built in NAT so that needs sorting as well for inbound - however winmx will work without any inbound in secondary mode, to find the reason it wasn't connecting before though i would agree that doing 1 thing at a time until it stops working is the best way to find what was blocking it

Zepposircarressith

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:00:43 pm »
i have noticed that secondary not so stable on me it reconnections alot but when im on primary it works fine i have seen alot of they issues in my room but helped them I agree with km its most likey a nat issue or a port forwarding issue that many people dont do or dont relize they have to go threw the process of port forwarding and firewalls etc etc.... just make sure you port forward figure out nat issues and check with ur isp if they allow ports etc etc lol  :shock:

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 06:09:47 pm »
Also please make sure to use different ports on the 2nd machine, otherwise it won't work.
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Networked and not connecting

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx