gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 05, 2024, 03:27:04 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Problem with DLs in primary
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Problem with DLs in primary  (Read 1499 times)

LiQuId RoOm

Problem with DLs in primary
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:47:59 pm »
Hi guys,

this is the very first post for me, and my question is a bit complicated to explain, so forgive me for length and mistakes...  

I installed WinMX (3.54b patch 2.0) 2 days ago.

During the first day my DLs were at a quite good rate and the connections with other users were stable.

On the second day (saturday), they fell to a ridiculous speed (< 1 k/s) and became completely unstable.

Today I decided to switch from primary to secondary (at least until I can solve the problem): the speed increased and the stability came back to a quite good level.

Note that:

-The ULs are good in speed but they have a stability issue in primary too (but not always and not at the same level than my DLs)
-I have a broadband internet connection (5Mb dsl)
-I installed PeerGuardian 2 (even if I installed your list of blocked and allowed ips only on the second day - my fault, i didn't read accurately the pages about blocking the RIAA)
-I have 2 firewalls: nvidia activearmor (hardware) and norton internet security 2005 (software): it seems that they are setted with the right rules for winmx (WinXp FW disabled)
-SO: Win Xp SP2
-Modem alcatel speedtouch 330 usb (no router)

But, the strange thing is that the DLing speed from the same user changes from 1 k/s in primary during the day to many k/s (e.g. 50-60 k/s) in the late night, or to 4-7 k/s if switching to secondary (day and night).

When I connect in primary I have about 4-7 primary and 5 secondary in the title bar.

Since I switched to secondary, the peerguardian is full of blocked ips and their number decreases when coming back to primary.

I searched this forum and the net for infos: I don't know what to think... is it a port issue? a firewall issue? a bad service from my isp? Maybe the answer is the simplest: a bad weather (= snow storm), but it seems too semplistic, because if I try to reconnect in primary, speed decreases and DLs falls !

I hope that someone could help me to come back in primary connection....

Thanks in advance

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:40:01 am »
I see you mention norton 2005 please also make sure that winmx is allowed in internet worm protection (in the anti virus) in addition to allowing it in the firewall.

Speeds starting qickly & ramping down to very slow or nothing is typical of ISP interference (traffic shaping) changing to different ports may help.  It can also in some cases happen downloading certain fake files.

Don't totally dismiss bad weather as a possible cause on dsl particularly if yout phone line runs above ground, certain weather conditions can affect the signal:noise ratio on the line which is critical to dsl functioning correctly, though if this were the cause I would expect all your internet activity to be affected (web browsing, http & ftp transfers etc.)
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

LiQuId RoOm

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:43:03 pm »
Thanks for the answer Bearded Blunder.

I'm going to change ports; I think that aren't fake files the problem 'cause the downloads are real and good.

Only an issue remains: where can I find the worm setting in NIS 2005 ? Maybe the norton AV into the NIS 2005 suite is a bit different from the same in stand-alone version (I'm looking for solving that).

Good sharing !

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:51:57 pm »
Heres the instructions on adding WinMX as a Permit All Program in the worm protection...

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/norton_2005.html

Let us know if we can do anything else for ya..

LiQuId RoOm

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:42:32 pm »
Hi Me Here,

The AV embedded in the Norton Internet Security 2005 suite seems to be different from the stand-alone Norton AV. there's nothing for worm protection like the link you posted. I think that the setting (in the NIS 2005) is automatically loaded the first time WinMX connects to the net: NIS asks what to do with the application; if you select "permit all" when the dialog box appears maybe NIS configure also the worm rules for that app. (i.e. WinMX).

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Good Sharing !

Offline QUEEN

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 12:19:35 am »
HI, liquid i recommend you to follow the tutorials we have told you above :
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/norton_2005.html
If you dont allow winmx in there you gonna get always the same message , this message tells you to allow the program you want to use.Each time you gonna use a program that ask you to allow you have to doit ,like winmx, msn,server ...etc and you gonna get the message till you dont doit .(LiQuId RoOm: I think that the setting (in the NIS 2005) is automatically loaded the first time WinMx connects to the net: NIS asks what to do with the application; if you select "permit all" when the dialog box appears maybe NIS configure also the worm rules for that app. (i.e. WinMx <--- thats only a message just to inform you .
.Im sure afther you doit your winmx gonna work much better .

LiQuId RoOm

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:19:54 pm »
Hi Queen

I solved my problems installing the new 2.1 patch and changing the ports: now I'm in primary again !

I'd like to do what explained, but the procedure doesn't fit the structure of NIS 2005: there isn't any worm setting in my AV.

I allowed WinMx (= permit the net access on all ports) only the very first time and the dialog box doesn't appears anymore.

Possibly, there's no need to set anything else after the (first) "permit all". The firewall of NIS 2005 configures also the worm settings for the AV (embedded in the same suite): in NIS 2005, AV, FW and antispam works togheter as a system.

Even the icon shown in your link is not the one I have in the bar.

I'm sorry for being repetitive, but using a language different from mine makes me difficult to clearly explain what I mean.

Good sharing !

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:57:40 pm »
Awesome LiQuId,

I think we just wanted you to have that option badly to get ya fixed up, and runnning.. lol.

As long as all is working we are happy.. :wink:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Problem with DLs in primary

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx