gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 04:45:55 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Should I download 1.9.exe patch?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Should I download 1.9.exe patch?  (Read 2151 times)

Big Bob

Should I download 1.9.exe patch?
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:19:35 pm »
Hi!

Throughout the recent period of WinMX tumult, turmoil, and confusion I have continued to download via the Open Nap servers with no apparent adverse effects. Other than the yellow blinking connection status light failing to turn green I have had no indication of anything negative happening to WinMX.

Information and numerous postings on this web site indicate that I should download a patch named 1.9.exe in order to be able to connect to the WinMX Peer Network. My question is this: If I download the 1.9.exe patch will it have any adverse effects on my ability to download via the Open Nap servers? I don’t want to solve a problem that ends up creating another problem. For your information I have an uncomplicated setup using Windows XP with PS2, DSL service via SBC, no routers or networks, no add-ons or goodies for WinMX, Norton Anti-virus 2003 Pro Edition, free version of Zone Alarm firewall, free anti-spyware programs Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy. I use WinMX v.3.53 and make a primary connection to the network.

If it sounds like I am being extra-cautious you are right! I am not a computer whiz kid, and therefore like to avoid computer complications wherever possible.

One of the best things about this current mess is the fact that I have found WinMX World! I have been using WinMX for a long time, but until the current controversy arose I did not know that you guys existed. Fortunately, I found WinMX World referred to on another web site when I started researching for a solution to the current WinMX situation. I find WinMX World to be the most informative of the WinMX web sites that I have come across to date. I expect to return to the WinMX World scene often from now on—hopefully for reasons other than to extract myself from some computer system snafu!

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:38:31 pm »
Well thanks for the kind words Big Bob  :D  

I use open nap myself and it works fine with the 1.9 release  :)

The patchs come in two flavours the "host" file type of fix and the winsock dll replacement, both will allow you to connect and both are virtually trouble free, although you will have noticed we recommend the 1.9 fix and I,ll explain why that is.

1) In some cases the host file has already been updated by anti spyware and this then will slow down your machine but not in most cases.

2) The dll fix has a built in blocker to stop the recording industry uploading fake file lists to our primarys to flood the network.

3) If a peer cache changes or goes down then the list in the host file is static and would require having to update the file, the dll avoids this by using a gateway address that redirects to any of the available caches currently operational.
Some people have sensibly enough questioned the merits of using a gateway address as they are worried that if this address is "taken out" the whole plan fails. this is not as drastic as is being made out as it would take less than 15 minutes to redirect the gateway address to a sister site winmxgroup operate and is standing by for this purpose.

We think this is a reliable and forward looking solution as it allows for caches to be operated by anyone and in any location, ensuring continuity of service.
I will be here to answer any questions you may have regarding any aspect of it, that said the choice is yours of which solution you choose to install, I,ll give you the links to both and you can decide which one is suitable for your needs.

https://www.winmxgroup.com/

http://www.vladd44.com/mx/piepatch.php

I look forward to seeing you on the network again  :D

Big Bob

1.9.exe patch/Open Nap servers
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 08:32:06 pm »
Hello, GhostShip,

Thanks very much for your detailed and informative response to my inquiry. I trust that others reading your post will also find it to be of interest.

The decision as to which of the two fixes to use looks like a no-brainer. Based upon your input I have decided that I will opt for the 1.9.exe patch. I’m glad to know that you are and your colleagues are available to respond to calls for help if we run into problems as we sail down the WinMX highway.

You say that you also are a user of the Open Nap servers. I imported my servers into the WinMX program by going to gotnap.com. I note that your tutorial advocates a different procedure involving the Find.WSX box. I tried an approach along that line awhile back and was not successful in importing Open Nap servers into WinMX. Thus I ended up going to gotnap.com, which resulted in my importing 41 Open Nap servers into WinMX. I am usually successful in connecting to a dozen or so of these servers when I conduct my searches. I am wondering if it would be worth my while to once again attempt the Find.WSX approach that WinMX World advocates or whether I should stand pat with the Open Nap servers I already have. I would appreciate your comments.

I like the Open Nap servers, because a lot of older music is available there. Much of the music I like was performed prior to 1950, and there appears to be an abundance of it on the Open Nap servers—more than I have been able to locate elsewhere.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 10:53:32 pm »
I agree with you Big Bob the open naps are a great resource that many overlook and often thats a good thing, 41 sounds plenty to me, I usually run about 10 good ones myself and that brings me many great results :D

The main problem you and I have noticed is the availability of wsx files on winmx and during the emergency I rounded up as many old ones as I could find and placed them here

httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WSX%20Files/

Those can be imported also as many are active still and then you can delete the dead wood from the  list.

I delete the numbers (date) in the "find wsx" box when searching using winmx, but I know you can always find a better selection of wsx files on opennap itself.  :)

Big Bob

Empty library issue concerning 1.9.exe patch
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 05:05:59 am »
I have just downloaded and installed the 1.9.exe patch. WinMX has opened up as v. 3.54 beta 4. It formerly was v.3.53. In the upper left hand corner of the WinMX window I see the words “Patch Operational.” All right so far, I assume. However, a message box titled "Empty Library" is appearing in the WinMX window. The message is “Your Library is currently empty.” This is followed by two options for selection, those being either a) Auto-scan your local hard-drive(s) for folders containing media files or b) Manually add folders. What the heck is this all about? I didn’t notice any mention of this issue when I was reviewing the instructions or forum posts regarding the downloading and installation of the 1.9.exe patch. Please advise ASAP what this is all about and recommended action to date. Does this have anything to do with designating the files I wish to share?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 05:26:00 am »
Yes that is the option for sharing.
In the upgraded 3.54 version Frontcode changed the Shared Files to Library and added more functionality to it also.  That option is easy enough to bypass during installation and you can select your folders you wish to share and even choose to share a folder but to exclude a file.  The Option to scan for media is always been a bad Idea and I dont know why they kept it in the later versions..

Hope this helps you to understand that a bit more.

Big Bob

Thanks, me here!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 06:19:31 am »
me here,

Thanks much for the prompt feedback. It seems like it would have made more sense to keep the Shared Files designation rather to change it to Library which is a much less definite term. In any event, I have now chosen my files to share and am proceeding with v.3.54 beta 4 which seems to be working better than the former version. I even notice that I am connecting to more Open Nap servers than was formerly the case. I have already found some songs that I have been chasing for some time without success until now. Thanks for the good work of you and your colleagues in keeping WinMX, the big train that could, chugging on down the track!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Should I download 1.9.exe patch?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx