gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 01, 2024, 11:23:37 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New 2.1 Patch Won't Work For Me
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New 2.1 Patch Won't Work For Me  (Read 2110 times)

i share if u share

New 2.1 Patch Won't Work For Me
« on: January 30, 2006, 01:19:07 pm »
OS Windows XP SP2 WinMX version 3.53.
Tried the new patch ( both the olepro and the ws32.dll) but get the usual error messages and crashes. One difference is that this time I received the need to close error message straight after running the installer when MX was not even running. Luckily kept the 2.0 ws32.dll safe and put that back in my MX file folder and will carry on running smoothly on that till bugs rectified.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:17:38 pm »
Okay I Share,

I encountered the same problem, and although I have contacted KM to let him know, the fix was easy enough for now..

Open your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder and right click your hosts file and choose 'Properties' .. then untick the 'Read-Only' option.

Then reinstall the patch.

i share if u share

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:54:45 pm »
OK thanks for the reply Me Here. I haven't done what you suggested yet due to current downloads but had a quick browse in system 32 drivers etc and noticed that the new installer has placed a new host file(2) there as well as the original one being there. Could that be the problem 2 hosts files and if so which one do i keep and do i still need to untick read only and on which one?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
well more then likely you only need the one that says Hosts   the Hosts(2) is more then likely a duplicate.. now without seeing them for sure its hard to know.. but if you have the hosts file to read only and something tries to replace it.. well for your protection its not going to allow that.. the duplicate will be named file(2) and then you dont get the correct hosts file being used with the patch.. so..

Best to make sure by looking at the two in notepad and make sure that Hosts  file is only got your 127.0.0.1 local host entry.

This is the one that needs to be NOT read only for the installer to work correctly as it is...

i share if u share

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 05:48:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice, deleted hosts(2), unticked read only in original hosts file and re-run 2.1 installer and up and running smoothly.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 06:30:57 pm »
Yay me too..  :wink:

Gowrie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »
What!

The Hosts file is being replaced with 2.1?

I would die and my system would die if I lost my hosts file, what's happening?

Warn me please before you change the whole concept - it could be dangerous for many.  I really appreciate the good work in keeping this running but PLEASE be careful - we trust you!

I will now back up my settings.dat and my Hosts file and see what happens - fingers crossed that I can merge my old hosts file back in and it still works?

Gowrie

Hosts file
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 10:23:33 pm »

I renamed my Hosts file as HostsBKP and ran the 2.1 patch - the installation failed with a "WinMx has crashed message".   :?  Obviously the installation will fail if there is NO hosts file or a READ-ONLY Hosts file, these are valid conditions in many systems and could be confusing to the novice.

It would probably fail if the option to protect the Hosts file is SPYBOT (and similar) is invoked

I then restored my Hosts file (after backing up of course) and all worked - thanks.  :D

:!: The patch did not replace my Hosts file however it appended one entry
212.227.64.159   www.winmx.com

:!: What is the Hosts file? http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Gowrie

Hosts file
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 10:32:57 pm »
REPORT CORRECTION :oops:

"I then restored my Hosts file (after backing up of course) and all worked - thanks."

Should read

I then restored my Hosts file (after backing up of course) and ran the installer again and all worked - thanks.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 10:53:42 pm »
i think ill stay with 2.0 :)
- Josh

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 10:55:51 pm »
Cheers for clearing the matter up Gowrie.  :)

For those interested in why this change has been made we have for a while been unable to communicate any new updates to win9x/ME users and as this new patch is for them also it was decided to rectify this situation with this latest release.

Big Thanx to KM (as usual ) for all his hard work on improving the patch  8)

KM

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 12:42:49 am »
interersting, any error and it should simply give up on the hosts file changes (it modifies it simply to direct the update bar to the winmxgroup server for the "Patch Operational" message for the 3.53 version)

not sure why your hosts file is read only, but in theory the patch shouldn't crash because of it, i just set my hosts file to read only and it had the same effect of crashing it so hopefuly it should be a simple one to solve (it's when you can't reproduce crashes at will that they are normally hard to fix)

btw the second hosts file is simply where it uses a temporary file while processing the hosts file, the only reason you noticed it was because winmx crashed when trying to copy the hosts file back before it had a chance to delete it

KM

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:59:30 am »
there, should be fixed... try 2.2....

and just for the record...

I encountered the same problem, and although I have contacted KM to let him know, the fix was easy enough for now..

no you didn't or i would have fixed it straight away as it was only a 2 minute fix :-P

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 01:21:52 am »
Dont make me post msn logs and time stamps of my installations.. lol that would be so.... well you know who like.. ewww

KM

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 01:32:21 am »
everyone knows you would just jump at the chance to be like vladd...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  New 2.1 Patch Won't Work For Me

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx