gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 03, 2024, 11:28:46 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Thomson 580 router porting for WinMX
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thomson 580 router porting for WinMX  (Read 2417 times)

PeterPiper

Thomson 580 router porting for WinMX
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:41:45 pm »
The tutorial for this router is excellent but it refers to the old version.  The new firmware upgrade changes everything!

Is there any chance of updating it?

The thing I reelly don't understand is abpout assigning a "game or application" to a device.  Do I have to do this?

Please help

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:40:50 pm »
HI PeterPiper,

I will try to address your port concerns here from other posts also.

I am not aware that BullDog is doing any traffic shaping, now that is not to say they are or arent, your symptoms do sound a lot like they may be.

I suggest you use these ports for now 1720 TCP, and 3339 UDP for your WinMx right now just to be on the safe side, these are normally assigned to applications that would not be a good idea to block or filter, and many Cable users are finding them to work.

Now about that Thompson, why o why did they have to go changing it so much.. lol. Ok I have an updated pdf file for that firmware upgrade in my possession and am reading through it now.. give me a few hours to digest that.. and I will either get a page with the updates or add them to my previous tutorial.

Basically yes, we will be assigning a game or application (WinMx) to a device (one of your computers).  The main differences I see are the Gateway address, and also the Internal Addresses of the computers.. will get back to you soon.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:55:51 pm »
Ok, from what I have read the two main differences in the upgrade are just as I mentioned earlier.

The Gateway Address has been changed from 10.0.0.138 to 192.168.1.254

Your Internal IP(the one designated to each machine) will also have changed.  In order to find that do this:

Start > Run type 'cmd' then hit OK
Now in the black DOS Box type ipconfig then enter...

Your Internal IP will be similar to the 192.168.1.xxx.. .

I have added these additional changes to the tutorial, and if there are other differences to the pictures or options please let me know

PeterPiper

TCP and UDP are both "Stealth"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:12:19 pm »
Well wouldn't you know it?  Both these ports when tested with the grc.com service prove to be "stealth".

Why?  I set them up myself.  How does this happen?

I am going to re-setup everything on the ports you suggest and I'll be back to you as soon as I see what's happening.

I must have done something wrong thou when configuring my firewall and router.  Any ideas?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 03:15:20 pm »
Well first suspect is still the Internal IP on this one.. let me know if you find anything in the configs..

PeterPiper

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:53:21 pm »
Hi ,

I've reconfigured my router, WinMX and Norton firewall to TCP 17209 and UDP 3339.  I've checked and my ip address (192.168.1.64) is correctly entered.

REunni8ng the www.grc.com test again, both these new ports are set to stealth!!

What can I do?  How can I change this?

PeterPiper

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:29:48 pm »
I'm sick to death of Norton.  I had to reinstall it again this pm and afterwards it is still coming back with "script errors on page".

So I've installed ZoneAlarm which seems to be everybody's favourite.  I'm trying to work out how to open 1720 and 3339 because at the monent thery are still showiung as "stealth".

Can anybody help please?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 01:23:02 pm »
Some people have reported problems running WinMX with Zone Alarm, it's possible you may continue to have problems using this, you aren't however required to specify ports as such in this program, just to make sure winmx is set to allowed both access & server.

Sometimes if you reconfigure, you have to set winmx back to ask, for zone alarm to update it's settings.

Note, ports will appear stealth using this, unless winmx is actually running.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

PeterPiper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 01:55:35 pm »
Thx for your reply.  In fact, I didn't like ZoneAlarm either.  I've gone back to Norton.  I have with the help of Speedtouch's £1.00 per minute support line had some success but, as I read everywhere, setting up the 580 is  dreadful.  In fact, even the support guy I was talking to agreed.  He wasn't familiar (they never are) with the latest firmware upgrade qand said himself how dreadful it is.  

Anyway, I've now got 1720 open and I've got 6 u/ls the minute I connect.  But 3339 is still at stealth (I don't know why, I did exactly the same thing with boith ports) and I can't get any d/ls!!!!

I'll keep you all updated!

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 07:24:29 pm »
That'll be because GRC tests TCP & not UDP.. it's probably open, but not showing on that test

PeterPiper

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 07:50:31 pm »
Thx for reply.  Ok to confuse you, I've now ditched Norton for good and I've installed ZoneAlarm Security suite.  I've set up all the rules for WinMX. Now 1720 is showing as closed.  3339 as stealth!!!!!

????

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 08:50:05 am »
I refer you to the answer i gave some posts ago, particularly the bit that says "Many users report difficulties running WinMX with Zone Alarm"  

As a test try breifly with ZA disabled (unloaded not running) if this works & WinMX has trouble still with it loaded, recheck it's allowed (trusted) for both access & server rights.

If you still have trouble THEN you may be one of the users for whom the WinMX/ZA combination won't work, in this instance your only real option is to look at using a different firewall.. I always used to recommend Sygate (free & very good) though i'm not sure it's available since Sygate bought them out.  Kerio do a viable alternative that i'm given to understand works well with WinMX.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 09:20:16 am »
Sygate is still available and a trusted link is on the tutorial for it in the firewall sections.

Works great, loves MX, is no longer having updates but that is more of a concern with antivirus then a firewall.  For now I still highly recommend it as a choice.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewalls-sygate.html

PeterPiper

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 01:19:43 pm »
Thx guys!   Everything is now hunky dory!  3 d/ls and 6 u/ls all running smoothly.  ZA firewall (pro edition so you can open ports) was a bit tricky to configure but I've done it.  I'll put detailed instructions down and post them.
Today I'm sorting out my wireless network to stream from my PC to LCD panel display with HDD DVD attached.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:24:02 pm »
Glad it's working for you.. back when i ran ZA Pro i had a memory leak, would erode available RAM to zero over about a 24 hour period if winmx was running, but with updates & whatnot i hope you're OK

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 05:34:53 pm »
Great PeterPiper,

I'll put detailed instructions down and post them.

Even Greater!!  If you include this with some screen shots, and put your text on a notepad document then pm, so that I can get you my email address.  We will make this into a page for the tutorials section if you would like!

http://www.progency.com/download/srip32.zip
Screen Capture program.

Let us know if you would like to do this.

PeterPiper

Remarkable utility for WinMX users
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
Well, I really think this little utility is an answer to my prayers.  It monitors, in rel time, which ports are being used.  Evento the extent of resolving the ultimnate domain name of an IP address!!!!

This clarifies everything so much.  Download it now free from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html.
Thinking about it IU shoudl have had it all along!!

I've also discovered a neat little feature in ZoneAlarm Pro which is very helpful.

If you choose Aerts and Logs (you have to make sure you enable logging first).  You will see a list of ll ports accessed and when.  If you can identify them (see above) you can enable or block access with one (OK then it's two or three) keystrokes.

IN WHICH CASE......

Why is someone/something connected in some way or another with WinMX trying to access my PC on ports on 3968, 2178, 2174, 2439????

See file below.  Maybe someone can explain to me?????

LOL

svchost.exe:960   UDP   1155B3B26FA:ntp   *:*      
svchost.exe:960   UDP   1155b3b26fa.lan:ntp   *:*      
System:4   TCP   1155B3B26FA:microsoft-ds   1155B3B26FA:0   LISTENING   
System:4   TCP   1155b3b26fa.lan:netbios-ssn   1155B3B26FA:0   LISTENING   
System:4   UDP   1155B3B26FA:microsoft-ds   *:*      
System:4   UDP   1155b3b26fa.lan:netbios-dgm   *:*      
System:4   UDP   1155b3b26fa.lan:netbios-ns   *:*      
vsmon.exe:1440   TCP   1155B3B26FA:1027   1155B3B26FA:0   LISTENING   
vsmon.exe:1440   TCP   1155B3B26FA:1031   localhost:1029   ESTABLISHED   
vsmon.exe:1440   TCP   1155B3B26FA:1032   localhost:1028   ESTABLISHED   
vsmon.exe:1440   TCP   1155b3b26fa.lan:1266   84.53.143.14:http   CLOSE_WAIT   
WinMX.exe:3968   TCP   1155b3b26fa.lan:2178   pc31009.ict.ne.jp:6698   ESTABLISHED   
WinMX.exe:3968   UDP   1155B3B26FA:3339   *:*      
WinMX.exe:3968   UDP   1155B3B26FA:2174   *:*      
WinMX.exe:3968   TCP   1155b3b26fa.lan:2439   acd84eaa.ipt.aol.com:6699   ESTABLISHED

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Thomson 580 router porting for WinMX

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx