gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 07:24:59 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File names too long
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File names too long  (Read 2094 times)

mark mather

File names too long
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:14:07 pm »
Hi can someone please advise me on the following:  On occassions when I try to download something the computer makes a horrible noise and tells me the file name is too long.  Anyone else had this problem if so how can I get around this..????? :x

KM

Re: File names too long
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:23:10 pm »
right click the file and select download manually, then manually browse for file to resume from, and type in a (shorter) filename :-)

or of course change your download path that it saves to to somewhere else shorter

Let It Be

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:23:24 pm »
But  There Must Be More To It Then That, If I Got A Long mp3 File Name, Many Can dl It Np, But Some Cant, Same File, Same Length, So There Must Be Somthing That Reciver Can Do To His pc/Winmx To Recive Abouth Same Lengeth As Most Others, (My Full Phat Is Wery Short, on Shear Folder),
I Dont Know This But Can It Be The Place Of The Incoming Folder Of The One That Cant Recive Long Names, Many Folders In Front Of It?, Just An Idea, Any Know?

KM

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:06 pm »
the full length of the filename is the limitation (including path) that many find a problem rather than just the filename part of it

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:05:49 pm »
What are the max no of charactera a file can hold. I too get long files names. Also, there are many funny letters and symbols eg like this file :

000000000000000000000000000000000484934300800000ac4400001281

I have got this error few times too. My download path is
D:\My Downloads\Winmx
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:30:28 pm »
the extra numbers at the end of the filename contain the file hash+size, so when winmx restarts it knows the file details and is able to resume the file, the incomplete filename being longer like that can also cause a problem (in your case that could be the problem) but in many cases it's because people have a long path like "c:\documents and settings\some username\my documents\my music"

btw the limit is commonly 256 characters, however it varies depending on the specific operating system and filesystem

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:05:03 pm »
Mine is Windows Xp service Pack 2, NTFS file system on all drives
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

.·:*LisaDee566

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:13:46 pm »
I had the problem with dl files, got message that file is to long to dl. I corrected the problem by changing my incoming file folder. I now have my incoming file folder C:/MyMusic, and I no longer have a problem dl files.  Thanks for the help, Let It Be.

KM

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 04:55:59 pm »
if a filename is too long and you already use a short path then just use manually download and select a different filename to save it to, works just fine :-) (except for the fact that winmx can't automatically find it to import incompletes... a minor problem)

Offline Let It Be

• Forum Member
  • Welcome To The BOB DYLAN ROOM
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:44:48 am »
But  There Must Be More To It Then That, If I Got A Long mp3 File Name, Many Can dl It Np, But Some Cant, Same File, Same Length, So There Must Be Somthing That Reciver Can Do To His pc/Winmx To Recive Abouth Same Lengeth As Most Others, (My Full Phat Is Wery Short, on Shear Folder),
I Dont Know This But Can It Be The Place Of The Incoming Folder Of The One That Cant Recive Long Names, Many Folders In Front Of It?, Just An Idea, Any Know?

I Have Test It Out Now And It Work Great, Wery Good,

I had the problem with dl files, got message that file is to long to dl. I corrected the problem by changing my incoming file folder. I now have my incoming file folder C:/MyMusic, and I no longer have a problem dl files.  Thanks for the help, Let It Be.

___/'/'/^o,,o^\'\'\___

freddysdead

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 01:16:30 pm »
I go apopleptic at these idiots who have to include a book-length description in the filename.  Then there's the opposite ones who tell you almost nothing so the AVI you're looking at might be one of 6 different movies.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File names too long

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx