gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 30, 2024, 04:32:36 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  It's here! Winmx & Monitor's Idiots Guide to Trading!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: It's here! Winmx & Monitor's Idiots Guide to Trading!  (Read 8377 times)

Bubba

It's here! Winmx & Monitor's Idiots Guide to Trading!
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:58 pm »
I got this from a guy in WinMx and I thought it might be of use. Naturally each person's own needs dictate the way they use WinMx and how they prefer to set it up, anyway I did find these tips valuable. Enjoy.

INTRODUCTION:

WinMX is a powerful P2P tool, one that allows its users a degree of options rarely seen in other P2P applications, something that becomes all the more true with the use of its excellent companion, MX Monitor. The good side of this is that people can set WinMX up to do things pretty much the way they need and want; the bad is that inexperienced or foolhardy users will quickly be overflooded by settings and options they don't understand, leading to much confusion and misunderstandings in the WinMX network between users.

This is a simple, basic configuration guide based on my own experiences over the years with using WinMX and its companion tool MX Monitor for the purpose of file trading, which hopefully will help you to sort out your difficulties and make your WinMX experience a better one (it may also get you off people's ban lists for a change :P ).

WINMX SETTINGS -> QUEUING:

-Before anything else, turn the "When there are (...) change reported speed" option OFF. This is a vital step. Why ? Because if you let WinMX change your reported speed like this, your client will be considered by such tools as MXMonitor as a different user, and you will lose any trades in process with other people, likely ending up on their ignore lists as well.

-"Max Downloads per user": set it to 1 or 2 at most, depending on your specific needs. I would recommend 1 nevertheless. Why ? Because a) there's only so much bandwidth you can get from a user, and multiple transfers will only divide that bandwidth up and increase the overhead, as well as the chances of time outs and disconnections. And b) some people will ignore your username by default if you try to queue more than a few files simultaneously, others if the reported speed is "unknown". Finally, c) MXMonitor works on a file by file basis - more on that below.

MXMONITOR SETTINGS:

-"General" -> "Clear old ULs": set it to a number lower than 100. Why ? Because only if your queue is smaller than 100, will regular WinMX clients be able to enter it automatically, i.e. without the need for the user to be there and do it manually. This is crucial if, say, trading a series of smaller files via MXMonitor.

-Auto-UL: ENABLE "Auto-UL for trade", "while DL and RQ" (people whose queue you're on or who started you, will be started automatically) and "Unlimited UL 1 by 1 while DL". The latter is arguably the strong point of using MXMonitor. It will effectively enable you to trade any number of files sequentially with a user, each new files starting automatically after the previous one completed and dispensing with the need for you and the user on the other side to be there watching all the time. It also has the advantage of allowing a second chance for transfers which timed out. That's how P2P is supposed to work in the first place; the software does its job while the user is allowed to carry on with his life and come back by the end of the day to collect his files with a minimum hassle. If trust is an issue, keep reading.

-"Cancel UL unless DL gets started": I advise something between 30s up to 1-2 minutes, just enough time to allow the client on the other side to start you (automatically or manually) after you started him. If it doesn't, the transfer will be automatically stopped to avoid leeching.

- ..."And Ignore": DON'T use this. Why ? Because shit happens, transfers time out, people fuck up accidentally, and using ignore here will only cut off the chance of a successful trade after the first failure. Don't worry, if someone is trying to leech they'll give up after being automatically stopped 1 or 2 times by the previous option.

-"Auto-disconnect UL when DL is disconnected in trading": another useful security measure to avoid someone trying to rip you off. Anyone stopping your download after a trade has started will also be stopped automatically. One disadvantage is that a transfer which is interrupted simply because the file isn't complete at its source also triggers this option if enabled. Your call, coming down to circumstance and your specific needs.

-"Auto-disconnect by downloading/uploading speed": DON'T use this - it sucks. It may sound promising, but in the real world there are just too many factors making transfer speeds fluctuate, even if occasionally, which tends to ruin too many good trades simply because the speed became irregular for a brief moment.

GENERAL TIPS:

- DON'T use QuickMX. Not only this tool conflicts with MXMonitor and other tools, it also has a tremendously negative impact on the WinMX network as a whole due to the high amounts of stress it puts on primary servers with the bandwidth it steals on overhead and needless packet acknowledgement sends and receives with all those searches. The more than relative benefits of using this tool, if any, certainly don't even begin to make up for the trouble it causes. DON'T use it.

- Sometimes transfers time out when trying to start in WinMX, and get "stuck" when you retry the same file. One way around this that has often proven successful is to simply pick a different file and start it, wait for it to complete or cancel it, after which the original file should now start normally.

- Some people have experienced MXMonitor failing to do its thing on occasion, usually after long uninterrupted periods (days) of active usage and lots of settings fiddling. It often works simply to open the MXMonitor window (from the tray icon), click on the bolt button in the upper left corner to disable it and then click on it a second time to re-enable. This should effectively restart MXMonitor functions without having to restart the program itself.

FINAL NOTES:

Remember, WinMX is arguably the best P2P system out there, and packed together with MX Monitor it can truly deliver some impressive results. Like all versatile and complex systems, however, it wouldn't be of any use without a user inclined to use his intelligence and common sense to do things the logical way. I humbly hope this small text will be of help to achieve that goal. Welcome to the vast world of WinMX :D

Gergovy

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
Thanks for posting man, actually some of that stuff answered a few doubts I had about the way mxmonitor works and which I couldn't find anywhere else. Living and learning.

pretorianguard

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 02:49:13 pm »
Cool tips, thanks.

Sharecat5000

Re: It's here! Winmx & Monitor's Idiots Guide to Trading!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:09:08 am »
ok, then theres the obvious schmutzes who set up their monitors with incredibly tight settings that ruin the experience for plain-brown wrapper users or newbies.

I use LeechHammer at times, but have noticed that i do seem to fall victim to what to me seems like automated selfishness...

If a timeout occurs, can never restart a d/l...

cant get certain users to start at all, and message says i am being ignored..

tried to q from a user 2 files or more, got kicked and never to connect again to that user

but check my stats, over 9000 files shared, long connections, no limitations, no 0 files hacks...

sometimes i even wonder if the shaping at monthly d/l limit that my dsl provider uses slows my d/l enuf that some of those automated selfishers see it as poor connect. sometimes the shaping makes file tranfers stall if im trying for more than 1 at a time

Ahhhh, the joys of P2P... :shock: :lol:

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 02:23:16 am »
Agreed Sharecat5000

I myself dont condone trading but it can be of benefit to some and there are many folks out there that upload freely and save extra slots for trading files so a guide seemed in order.. we here actually encourage free sharing of files, teaching new users to share, and patience and understanding for your fellow Microshaft software.. computers and p2p can be a night mare to get right..lol

Lets all share the love ... :wink:

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 05:16:53 am »
Is it a good idea to use mx moniter and mxmoniter togather?

Mx moniter does not have a solution to the 0 files hack....
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WOMBAT

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 06:46:04 am »
Nice To See Ya Wink "Me Here"

CHIN UP

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 07:00:31 am »
Is it a good idea to use mx moniter and mxmoniter togather?

Prolly just a typo.. you mean Leechammer and MxMoni together..no its not.  And no Moni will not pick up the 0 hack either but frankly although I wish it would i still prefer it.

Wombat.. ty ..xxx

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:04:29 am »
Yes that was leech hammer and mx moniter  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Sharecat5000

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 07:45:25 am »
Maybe we should consider a shame list... :x

List all the selfishers that behave in such way :P

Not that the &$^*(&%$@ would ever read it and see their names and modify their attitudes 8) :lol:

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 08:14:39 am »
I wouldn't support that, too many accidental glitches happen, files get unshared accidently, network issues cause whois to fail & people get ignored by mistake.. & anyhow usernames & IP addresses are way too volatile to make it effective.

& that's ignoring the fact that the vast majority of users never even look at this forum...
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

MxMonMyth!227

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:04:32 pm »
Even though this help file ACTUALLY mentions the proper use of the 'clear older UL requests in order' it doesn't go into the full depth.  When writing my help file in 2003 I investigated this setting at length and found that after a queued user slips off the #1 position (because someone requests a queue place at #98 or whatever you set it at) it takes around 5 minutes for that user to pop back in the queue at #98. MxMonitor can only parse the usernames actually in the queue and this has an impact on the 'Cancel UL unless DL gets started' setting if both users are using this DizzyQ (TM ;-)) technology.
Say userA is queued with you at #98...and you get more than 98 queue requests in 5 minutes..... userA's MxMonitor will always  see a queue position of #98.  If userB then enters UserA's queue, UserA's MxMonitor will see a possible trade and start UserB's DL.  However, if UserA has just slipped out of UserB's queue...it may take 4 minutes before UserB's MxMonitor will see UserA's name, and UserA's MxMonitor might well cancel the trade before this happens.

If this setting proliferates....it may be useful to suggest a 'Cancel UL unless DL gets started' setting of 240 seconds.

Please ask me in Winmxworld.com room for any extra info

MxMonMyth!227  :-)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  It's here! Winmx & Monitor's Idiots Guide to Trading!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx