gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 04, 2024, 09:25:08 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  is my ISP blocking winmx?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: is my ISP blocking winmx?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline stickyb

• Forum Member
is my ISP blocking winmx?
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:09:53 am »
i haven't used winmx for a month or so as i have been away, and now i find i can't connect (Traffic light stays yellow on either primary or secondary connections.

I used to have a patched hosts file, but after reading some threads here i have downloaded and installed version 3.54 beta4, and deleted entries from the hosts file.

looking at a previous thread which said to try telnet germany.winmxgroup.com 7950 i did that but got unable to connect to port 7950

I was using non standard tcp and udp ports, which were allowed through my router, but have changed to the standard ports, also allowed through the router, but no difference. I am using windows 2000 sp4, no software firewall.

Any advice? Could my isp be blocking winmx. i am in Thailand, and they do block things from time to time

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: is my ISP blocking winmx?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
I dont think your ISP is to blame.. although I do enjoy razzing ISPs when i can this time i just suggest getting a different connection method.. one that doesnt use the hosts file

www.winmxgroup.com/

grab the full version for 3.54 and patch there and give it a try..let me know

KM

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:43:32 pm »
btw, the reason an attempt to telnet germany.winmxgroup.com 7950 failed is because that cache has now changed IP Address

Offline stickyb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:34:24 pm »
i am not using the hosts file connection method, as i stated in my first post. After a few hours i did get a connection to the network, but am still having actually connecting to any one to upload or download files

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 12:48:44 pm »
Check Settings in WinMX for your Outgoing TCP.. make sure this is set to 'Dont use a proxy to connect'..

also are you trying to make a primary or secondary connection?
Make sure you have the file name: DLEDLG.dll in with your WinMX.exe file and others..

Offline stickyb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 02:03:06 am »
ok, have checked the settings. Can connect as a secondary , but it takes a long time (sometimes 30 minsutes plus) and then cannot d/l or u/l files. everything times out waiting for connection. Not using proxy, as per above post. Don't have file dledlg.dll in winmx folder. but do have oledlg.dll Is this OK?

Have got too sets of udp/tcp ports defined as pass through for my router, the default ones and another set. Neither make any difference.

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:38:24 am »
yes oledlg.dll is correct. are you using windows xp? please check that the ports you have defined in router are actually open by running netstat -an in a command window. the tcp and udp ports you have set in your router should show up there

Offline stickyb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:02:20 am »
no, i am using windows2000 sp4 as i said in the first post. the ports are open.

shouold i see a message abou patch active? i don't

Offline Valor

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:05:46 am »
yes it should say Patch Operational. do a netstat -a in a command window or check the TCP port at canyouseeme.org

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 08:26:05 am »
Just a passing thought, have you tried ipconfig /flushdns, rebooting the pc, or opening SAVING & then closing your hosts file..
windows 2000 is sometimes funny about reading changes to hosts file, it's uncommon but it does happen
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline stickyb

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 04:30:54 am »
BB, yes have tried all those. My hosts file is empty, but i don't see the patch operational message. where should it be?
I can sometimes connect as secondary, but not as primary.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 06:05:27 am »
There should be two entries in your hosts file
127.0.0.1       localhost      <---<<< This one is part of TCP/IP networking & is needed in all hosts files
212.227.104.169     www.winmx.com     <---<<<  This one is for the "Patch operational" message

If you are behind any sort of proxy you won't see the message (I know, my ISP uses a transparent proxy which breaks it for me) the message being missing in no way affects the function of winmx however.

As a temporary measure I suggest setting WinMX as unable on both TCP & UDP ports with it set not to use proxy, & connecting as a secondary, in that configuration downloads & uploads should work with any user not set the same way.

It may be worth you entering winmx chat & visiting
WinMxWorld.com Help_E3D7EFD50D3D
& talking to the people there, many are more knowlegable than me.  Pasting the roomname into the filter bar & hitting the join button should get you there even if winmx hasn't connected, if you happen to arrive at the right time you may even catch KM in there & if HE can't figure the problem out nobody can.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  is my ISP blocking winmx?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx