gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 12:20:42 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  how come winmx is breaking my dsl connection?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: how come winmx is breaking my dsl connection?  (Read 2069 times)

wanttogobacktooldversion

how come winmx is breaking my dsl connection?
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:59:24 am »
ok, i finally hooked up my computer to a network router so my housemate and i both have internet. it had been over a year since i used winmx and i thought it wasnt working anymore. then i found out about a patch and installed it. bingo! it worked. while i was able to download i found there were a lot of fake files. so then i found out about another patch that filtered those out. i tried that and im pretty sure it worked for a short while (less than an hour). then the modem seemed to drop out! seemed to be a coincidence but through experiment ive found that if i try to connect to wnmx the whole lot drops out. so not only no winmx, but no internet at all!. i got smart and thought, well i can live with just typing -seinfield, -jamie foxx into the search box so i decided to do a system restore to before the patch. no go. still the same version. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling just the old winmx exe but its obviously been permanently changed by the patch. where from here? i experimented with bit torrents, but i dont need to download huge files that are the 'in thing' this minute. winmx is perfect for individual songs etc...

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: how come winmx is breaking my dsl connection?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:19:46 am »
The winmxgroup patch makes no alterations to winmx.exe, however, the version on the front page at www.winmxgroup.com & the various versions one on the downloads page will usually (always in the fist case) upgrade the program to the 3.54 version if an older version is installed.  Many firewalls then react by blocking the program because the exe changed, usually the simple solution is to delete & re-make the rules for WinMX.

I note you also mention hooking up a router, did you forward ports in it? Did you also check that your modem was not NAT capable/enabled before doing so? Using a router & NAT capable modem together often causes many strange issues, as you in effect have 2 routers.

Finally if that isn't sufficient to point you in the right direction, then please drop into the help chatroom
WinMxWorld.com Help_9F40E3D40D3D
where somone will help investigate furthur

*Edit (sam) Put the current room name
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

wanttogobacktooldversion

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:53:32 am »

i dont know about the technical aspects of the router etc. all i know is that it worked with the first patch i tried (sorry, i cant remember what it was called) and then when i put the super duper patch in all the probs occurred...if only i could just go back to how it was set up 4 days ago. that would do me...

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:21:26 pm »
Various WinMX Versions + Patch will allow you to pick whichever winmx version you want during install, if you wish to change versions, simply re-run it & choose a different version.

Alternatively this one (new beta test for next version) will also do that & may arrange for your router to auto-configure also it may be worth giving a shot.

Let me repeat, anytime you change versions, most firewalls will subsequently block the program, better ones ask you, with windows firewall you generally have to remove & re-add the rules manually, if it's firewall blocking, changing versions back won't fix it (it'll see another exe change & still block because it just saw that) you HAVE to configure your firewall to overcome it.

Instructions for setting firewalls for winmx can be found here if you're using the windows xp built in one, there are 2 links, according to if you have service pack 2 installed or not.

*edit direct link to patch installer revised to downloads page, post edited to retain sense, link to no longer available beta installer removed  BB
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

wanttogobacktooldversion

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:37:02 pm »
ok, when i get a chance ill check out all that. thanks for the quick reply (",)

wanttogobacktooldversion

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:58:29 am »

ok. ive just had another look. the firewall configuring page is for firewalls on your pc. im not using one. from what you are saying, its the router i need to play with. im at a loss now. limewire hooks straight up. i have been using that as it is better than the bit torrents but still not as versatile as winmx. why is it that at this very moment, limewire can connect and winmx cant?

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:03:11 pm »
Best bet, swing by the help room and one of the guys there can run you through it: WinMxWorld.com Help_9F40E3D40D3D

*Edit* replaced with current Help Room Name. MH

wanttogobacktooldversion

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09:42 am »

ok, ive figured it out! at least, iim back to the stage where i was before i tried the super duper patch!. what i did was uninstall everything, and then get win3.31 from oldversion.com and then installed the mxpie patch from vladd44.com. more or less what was suggested on this thread:

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=997.0.html

hehe. so im back to typing in -sienfield, -foxx but between winmx and the other p2p im using im covered!

thanks guys!

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 11:18:42 am »
Why not try the winmx group patch with 3.31? One last try :|

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:34:54 am »
wanttogobacktooldversion,

Just be sure if you ever run a primary (even for a few minutes) that you also have installed and are running peer guardian as per the instructions here:

Step 1.)> https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/peerguardian.html
Step 2.)> https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/block_the_riaa.html

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  how come winmx is breaking my dsl connection?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx