gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 20, 2024, 07:22:25 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  File Type Additions in Search, suggestions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File Type Additions in Search, suggestions  (Read 1539 times)

Easy_MxMoney

File Type Additions in Search, suggestions
« on: August 26, 2006, 05:15:50 am »
Well ive been using winmx since i wanna say 98 but not too sure its been so long, but i would like to thank winmxworld for all the help, and winmxgorup for keeping winmx alive, my thought, suggestion would to be adding .wma file extension in the search along with mp3's, since alot of people use windows and windows media player rips cd's to .wma's, and they are compatible with a majority of mp3 palyers, i just htought it would be a good addition, and would expand the music venue of WinMX

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: File Type Additions in Search, suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:05:48 am »
It was left out by frontcode for a good reson, wma files have identifiable information about the pc that ripped them embedded inside them, I would strongly advise anyone not to share these, there are plenty of free programs that will rip to .mp3 which also has the advantage of playing in many modern cd walkmans & car stereos directly, allowing you to make huge compilations of your own music & save cd changing whilst driving (a dangerous practice).
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Neutron

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:46:33 am »
Correct. And also because we don't have the sourcecode of WinMX, adding .wmv files to searches couldn't be done even if KM wanted to. Only a new client could. So I'm sorry to say wmv files won't be added to WinMX. not unless anyone creates a new client anyway.

KM

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:43:36 pm »
wma searching could also not be done within the protocol (there is no wma file type for searches that are sent out like there are with other file types) so any client that wanted to do a wma search would have to do an any file search then filter out the other file extensions from the results (wasting bandwidth, there's a reason it sends out the search type to limit results to only that type)

plus of course the reasons for not including wma still hold true... privacy concerns, the only way to do it would be if the client stripped all personal information from the file before sharing it, requiring all users to be using that other client, plus there are probably patent issues with trying to have a program deal with wma files...

Easy_MxMoney

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 01:48:47 pm »
well thanks for all the thoughts, i thought it would be a good idea, but i guess not, i under stand the taking up bandwith, and didnt really thnk about the privacy issues, but about what bearded said about mp3 advatages, wma's will play on burned cd's in walkmans and in almost every mp3 player like it was a mp3, so i really dont see the advantage

KM

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »
every mp3 player plays mp3s (hence the name) while it's true some do also play wma files, many will not (like my 3 for example), so mp3 files do have an advantage there, as well as the obvious privacy stuff etc etc

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
the advantage is, most new car or home cd players will play mp3 directly (not burned as audio) so you can get a huge number on a single cd, while that is also tru (space saving) of wma, wma won't play in those devices
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  File Type Additions in Search, suggestions

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx