gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 01, 2024, 05:29:43 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  White out?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: White out?  (Read 4295 times)

Offline tonyd19565

• Forum Member
White out?
« on: February 10, 2007, 10:18:28 am »
When running WMIX monitor after 72 hours I get what I call a white out
If I press any button on the panel,say search. The surroundig screen outside the panel goes white (The windows screenshot disappears).
Then all the names queing vanish. They come back as soon as I scroll up or down. The only thing that stays visible is the green box registering download progress. Yet if I tirn off the monitor everything becomes normal and I can read the information on screen. Any ideas? All other programes function normally during this and system or graphics card is not overheating
I run windows XP with a 3ghz pentium 4 and 2gig of ram

KM

Re: White out?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:17:13 pm »
and you're also running mxmonitor i bet?

it's a known bug with windows XP that isn only clearly visible under several extreme conditions - such as opening a few hundred thousand whois windows in winmx

microsoft have released this patch for the issue, although it requires SP2 to install - alternatively you can disable the theme stuff but installing the patch is probably simpler

Offline tonyd19565

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:07:30 pm »
Thanks I have to restart my machine to find out if it worked. I will net you know

Offline tonyd19565

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:55:52 pm »
seems to be running ok but what I would like to ask is  "only clearly visible under several extreme conditions " As I said in my question this happened after 72 hours. No matter what I am D/Loading, one or ten files this happens.
So what are the extreme conditions? I know I don`t open a few hundred thousand who is windows in winmx and I use the monitor for helping the people who help me as I don`t want to join any clans or rooms.
I do of course thank you for your help but an explanation of the term used would be appreciated . Am I using the monitor in the wrong way? Or is it just a glich with the XP programe

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 12:27:29 am »
Hi Tonyd,
if it only seems to do it after a prolonged period like 70+ hours, its highly possible than as well as the patch fix that KM supplied, WinMX does use a fair amount of ram & virtual memory, and this will affect your pc's performance over long system up-times, i have noticed this myself, if you look in the device manager (ctrl+alt+delete) it pops up, click processes, click view & select columns, and tick CPU Usage and Memory Usage and Virtual Memory Size, then it will show you what every process is using, the longer the up-time the more virtual memory is used, and you available ram will slowly get smaller as well.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

KM

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 06:51:28 am »
it's a small resource leak where it doesn't quite free everything when a window is closed, in most cases a program doesn't open many windows so you'd never notice it, however with how mxmonitor does the whois in winmx, every single person to enter your queue it opens a whois window then closes it again, after a few days that can add up to quite a lot of windows opening, allocating resources, then never freeing it - eventually it runs out of resources and when it tries to do basic things like redrawing a window when it's updated/activated/whatever there is nothing free, so it simply fails to draw properly

a program opening thousands of windows is a very rare and very extreme situation and that's why microsoft didn't include the fix on auto update (although it's meant to be in the upcoming service pack 3), of course the way mxmonitor works with winmx is one of those very rare cases where the extreme is actually normal behaviour

Offline tonyd19565

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:49:10 am »
thanks helps me understand the workings a little more

Offline tonyd19565

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:04:23 pm »
This has sorted the fault. thanks for your help. It has  now been running over 100 hours and system is steady

Offline KittyBass

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 03:01:29 pm »
I found this happened with LeecHammer as well. I had to reboot my computer and lose my place in the queue after being not restarting MX for a few days :(

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:34:15 pm »
Down load this patch then

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/WindowsXP-KB319740-v5-x86-ENU.exe

As posted in KM's reply
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline KittyBass

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:23:18 pm »
Thx a bunch!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Upload/Download managers  |  White out?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx