gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 13, 2024, 10:19:08 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Being a Primary Problems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Being a Primary Problems  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Majic_ShareAll

• Forum Member
    • Technical Advisor for Mutimedia & Computers
Being a Primary Problems
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:28:17 am »
I posted this question on a WinMX newsgroup, and also just read secondary vs primary connection.  So I am posting the question here, even though it has been answered somewhat.
==================================

I thought if I logged in as a primary, that it would help the winmx network,
but whenever I do, all my upload resources are maxed out to the full, so I
have no bandwidth left for my own DLs & ULs.
I am usually on days at a time, so don't mind sharing some resources to the
group.

I set the primary bandwith setting to the lowest (I think 7/12), but not
matter what the setting it still streams out to my DSL network upload
capacity.

I have DSL 1.5 mbits, and my limits are about 33 upload and 167 download.
Even though it does not show my Primary use bandwidth, within the program
console (winmx 3.54 beta 4), another net usage prg shows my upload to be
over 30, and DL about 25, as a constant stream.  As a secondary, I limit my
UL to about 24, and rarely does that interfere with other programs using my
home network.

Any ULs or DLs qued are at speeds like .04 to 2-4 when I switch to primary,
but as a secondary my DLs have gone up to 200.
So is there a way to adjust this or is being a primary only useful if you
have a T1 line or better?
and is being a secondary really good enough, as I do upload many files?
Majic_ShareAll_

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: Being a Primary Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:34:11 am »
Hi Majic_ShareAll

Welcome!

Here is my typical spew about running primary:

Quote from: Me Here's Spew
Many users seem to believe that if they have Broadband they MUST run as a primary, this is simply not true and in some cases running a primary without the proper resources and settings can cause more damage then good.  A well configured Secondary connection can operate faster and better then a primary on many occasions even if you do have a Broadband Internet type.
If you find that the results of running a primary are not what you had hoped, freezing up, lagging, using a lot of CPU and resources, its recommended that you seek advice on configuring it better or that you use a secondary connection.

I think that if running a primary causes you enough aggro that your not able to use WinMX as it should be then your not gaining anything by trying to continue doing so.  I have the exact same issues and everything works fine but slow as..and I have a line you could almost consider a T1, its not my line in my case its my Computer.   Running as a secondary Im still contributing to the network. 

I see no reason for you to try to, after all you can share as many files as you like on primary or secondary    :)

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:59:32 pm »
Secondaries, also happen to have more capacity to upload rather than primary, which uses a part of it for the network connection...
There is no reason why a secondary user is either bad, or unhealthy to winmx.
I myself host secondary as I have download caps :( . But even if I didn't have them I'd still be secondary as it allows me to have more ul's :)

As me here said, choose what works best for you.
No one can in the first place see if you are primary or secondary, so as to discriminate between them and it matters more that you share rather that the connection type you have.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Majic_ShareAll

• Forum Member
    • Technical Advisor for Mutimedia & Computers
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:11:05 am »
Thanks for the responses.  It looks like I don't have the resources to run as a primary.

The reason I even considered it was that I thought it would help the network, by having another primary node out there (I don't really care about the polictical viewpoints).  But as I can't get any files myself and all my uploads are so slow, it really doesn't make sense to be one.

I am curious though. is there a way to limit the 'Primary upload bandwidth' besides the choice in settings, as that did not work or limit my UL bandwidth at all?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:14:46 am »
Primary has two different Bandwidth settings that will effect it.

1. Bandwidth Throttle - Limiting Uploads aka 'OutGoing Bandwidth' will do just that limit the amount of bandwidth for your total uploads, 'if' its set to a limit that is reasonable for your Line speeds.  You could find out more about the recommended limits for you by visiting this script Page KM built to test and help guide you.. even if your just curious..

https://www.winmxworld.com/scripts/bandwidth/

2. WinMX Peer Network > Allocated Bandwidth - These are the settings for the 'Network Traffic' that will be used.  Keep in mind tho in context of your issues this should be set to the lowest setting (7KB/s Out and 10.5 KB/s In) however even at those settings I have the same issues you do with running a primary and its just not feasible for me.

I still believe that running a secondary for you sounds best and enjoying WinMX being able to share, is helping the network

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Being a Primary Problems

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx