gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 14, 2024, 08:28:02 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Winmx Disconnecting and Uploaders Speed falling to 0 in minutes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Winmx Disconnecting and Uploaders Speed falling to 0 in minutes  (Read 2473 times)

Oldguy

Hi

Im a long term user of Winmx.  I uninstalled the oldversion about 3 weeks ago and installed the Beta 4 version a couple of days ago.  Since then I have had problems with the programme disconnecting from 5 minutes to 15 minute intervals.  In addition I can download at normal speed but my uploaders start at about 5,000bps and decrease to 0 in about 2 minutes.  Oddly a few people, very few get high speed from me if they connect in between the constant disconnections.  When it disconnects I lose all my queues and queuers but if Im uploading it continues to upload.  I have Winmx home edition SP2, I have tried changing ports, I have checked my Nortons Firewall and its allowing Winmx everything, I have Windows Firewall disabled.  Im on NTL Cable Broadband in Ireland and because I can Dload and upload abeit infrequently I dont think its an ISP issue.  I tried reloading the old version of  WINmx and applying the patch but Im getting the same problems with it now.  I have a feeling there is a problem with the new patch - can anyone help make an old man happy again.  Im not too technical so be gentle.  If I cant get Winmx operational again is there any other P2P application that compares to my beloved Winmx?  Thanks in advance

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: Winmx Disconnecting and Uploaders Speed falling to 0 in minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
hi Oldguy,

Welcome to the site..

I would like you to clear out your incomplete files, for the time being, and not re add those until we are sure whats going on.  Id like you to remove WinMX from the rules in Norton and then restart it.  Allow it to ask you agian for permissions or manually re add the rules.  Let me know how you get along with this ...
Id also like to make sure that your using the WinMX Group Patch.. you got it from www.winmxgroup.com/  or it says Patch Operational in the update bar?

Oldguy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:43:45 pm »
Thanks for that, Im in work at the moment so I will try when I get home.  I did dowload Winmx from winmxgroup.com and it say patch operational, not sure if its important but the text is grayed out.  I will try your fix and get back to you.

Oldguy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:34:12 pm »
Hi 'Me Here' I did as you said, cleared incomplete files, removed Winmx from Nortons, Restarted Winmx, reinstalled it in fact, put in new rules for Norton for Winmx Frontcode Technologies, still did not work.  It disconnected every couple of mins, I had one Uploader who got good speed from me and stayed on during disconnects, I cancelled him to see how it would perform with others and they got bad speed and fade down to 0 after a minute or two, this happens to the majority. As for me if Im lucky and catch a download between disconnects, my speed is normal and stays on, but usually I just lose my place in all queues before I get on.  Its a real puzzle!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:47:48 am »
Ok Oldguy,

I have to tell you and you may already be aware of this fact.. this sounds very typical of ISP throttling, and with Canadian and American companies its standard practice to either 'play dumb' or 'blame lines and routers'.. anything but to tell the truth.. However, I know a few people on NTL and if they 'are' throttling you this will be the first Ive heard of it.

I can think of one or two ways for you to test this.. the main one would involve testing Dial Up connection with WinMX and see if speeds for uploads are consistant and if the majority of uploads connect ok.   I looked around for a free or pay as you go dial up but looking for one in your own area would be best.. you wont need to run it long to know if it works..

This way we would know for sure if NTL is throttling which they do admit and say they will do in some areas during peak times.

Oldguy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 09:41:56 am »
Thanks for trying MeHere.  If it is throttling how come I can upload to some people at high speed and they stay on even when Winmx disconnects and also if Im lucky enough to start downloading between disconnections I can get high speed and stay on also?  I don't know much about this but it still seems to me that there is something else causing the problem.  Thanks again.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
Through the times that we have seen throttling on WinMx there are have been different approaches.. For example at one time almost all companies that did this had software that detected WinMX activity via port. hence port changes were effective in getting around this.  Almost all have since moved to software that detects traffic by headers in packes sent.

Several companies in the USA, Cablevision comes to mind because I had a close friend in your exact situation.  He would get the odd upload to come through, and when it did it was fantastic.. makes this even more frustraiting for folks.. as you are thinking ,, and I thought.. and he thought.. ok there is a way around this. 

Why do they occationaly get through the throttling.. I cant answer this for sure, only give you theories about it,  What I can tell you from close experience is that occationally transfers do get through on some types of throttling software.

To my knowledge there is nothing I can think of that would cause the problems your describing to us except ISP issues.  Firewalls, Antivirus, routers, modems, all are suspects for problems but those problems are 0 connections.  Basically its either going to connect and work or its not, instead of this symptoms your describing.  I honestly wish there was something better to say, trust me I'd 100 times rather tell you that I think its something on your system there fore, fixable.  I just dont think that at this time.

If you can find a free or pay as you go Dial Up service there are no monthly fees, no set up fees, you just register and get the local numbers and test out the dial up .. You wouldnt even need to run it more than an hour i suspect to find out if it works.

If your Uploads connect more often and at consistant speeds, and your WinMX seems a bit more stable.. then I think that would help us all eliminate 'something on your system'.  If the same effects are seen then we can move on to your system.. modem, wires.. etc..

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Winmx Disconnecting and Uploaders Speed falling to 0 in minutes

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx