gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 04, 2024, 01:31:02 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Secondary disconnects from Primary node exactly every hour
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Secondary disconnects from Primary node exactly every hour  (Read 5308 times)

Mr_Blobby

I have a strange problem - I am using a secondary connection, and every hour I get automatically disconnected from the primary node I am using, and reconnected to a new one.

This happens not just roughly every hour, but exactly (i.e after connected for 59:59). I get some timeouts from the queue during the reconnect period, although some files stayed queued as well, so it's not a disaster, just a bit annoying. After reconnect, if i manually retry the timed-out files, they re-queue no problem (but at the back of the queue if I'm not quick enough!)

I have Pie Patch 2.9 and WinMx v3.53. I have tried all versions of Pie patch and Winmx, all with the same problem.

I am wondering if it something to do with the localhost (127.0.0.1) loopback ? My router is a Sitecom DC-202v5, and (like other cheap routers) I think it does not allow loopback connections (i.e for my local machine to access "myself" from outside the LAN). I have TCP port 16698 and UDP port 16256 forwarded through the router, and can upload and download no problem.

Do the WinMx peer caches need users to have loopback enabled ? If not, is there any communication required between my machine and the peer cache servers on ports other than the two specified ?

What about end-point mapping (epmap port 135) - anything to do with it ? Or port 445 ?

My other thought - is this reconnect every hour a feature of the WinMx peer cache servers ? I have tried searching on google and here to find if any other users are having the same problems, but cannot find anyone, so I'm very puzzled!

I also have Norton Protection Centre, but have allowed Winmx and loopback full access.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Mr_Blobby.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: Secondary disconnects from Primary node exactly every hour
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:51:04 pm »
Hello Mr blobby

No w3inmx does not have a loopback feature by default. But you can whois and download from yourself when you are in a chatroom.

No winmx peer caches do not need loopback enabled as far as i know.

Try the winmxgroup dll patch. See if that sorts things out

Try www.winmxgroup.com for the dll patch. Before that, uninstall winmx completly and then try the dll patch.

I don't know the answers to any more of your doubts. Please wait for some of the other more knowledgeable people to come and answer yor question.

I suspect it could be a problem in your computer itself. Does this occur with all applications or only with winmx? It could be that your computer is refreshing your connection every hour
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:59:17 pm »
Connection method is irrelvant, most likely cause is your ISP.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:01:59 pm »
Make sure you dont have any system resource management enabled in the Control Panel, this can sometimes cause mx to loose the communication it needs between you and your primary.  IE: shut down after so many minutes of idle activity.  This would be in the Power Management section.

Your Router can disable loopback however, that is not going to cause this problem.  The caches do not require you to have it enabled and do not reconnect you every hour.  Once your on the Network connected to a primary its yours' and the primaries job to keep you that way.. no peer cache involvement.

Do not change that setting in your hosts file, its standard MS Issue to have that, and its not causing this either.
Unstable primaries could be the cause as could an ISP issue, or even router if you loose other connectivity also.. however I also suggest you download the dll patch from here:

www.winmxgroup.com/  however I dont see a need to reinstall, simply install the new patch.  2.2 No-MX.exe should do.

Honestly the timing would suggest its a computer or router/dsl modem issue so hardware would be my suspect.. give the new patch a try and contact us.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:14:21 pm »
also check the windows task scheduler for anything set to run hourly on the hour.. just a passing thought, but if there is such a task, it may be causing this when it runs, something is interfering with your networking/internet connection hourly, but the cause isn't winmx, the reconnect is merely a symptom..

other possibilities include hardware, power management settings & isp interference, as mentioned above
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Mr_Blobby

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:12:45 pm »
Thanks for all your replies and advice  :)

I've been investigating, and I think the problem lies with the DHCP protocol in Windows 2000 (and possibly other versions).  I used to have DHCP enabled on the router, which meant that my IP address was automatically assigned, and "leased" to my PC.  I've had a look in the Registry, and guess what, the "Lease" time is equivalent to 3600 seconds i.e. 1 hour.  Unfortunately there are no settings on the router configuration page which can alter this.

I've disabled DHCP on the router, and assigned a static IP to the PC network card's MAC address.  I've also disabled DNS dynamic update on the PC by unchecking the TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced -> DNS -> "Register this connection's address in DNS" box.

After rebooting and running WinMx, I still get reconnected every hour.  I then tried increasing the Lease time in the Registry (after saving it of course!) and rebooting, but still no luck.  There is a "T1 and T2" setting which relate to the lease time, I'm going to try and change those too.

I think the lease keeps getting renewed because my PC can't communicate properly with the router to negotiate correct use of the IP address.  At the renew time, the PC must temporarily lose the connection with the router and then regain it, hence the momentary drop-out which causes the primary to lose connection.  The router firewall may be blocking this communication, but I can't see anything in the router log.  I'm going to try and fiddle with the firewall exceptions to see if that works too.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers  :D

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:04:26 pm »
if you set set a static ip on your computer, the lease time becomes irrelevent, (control panel > network & Dial up Connectons, click your internet connection & pick properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), & hit properties, make sure the radio button for "use the following IP Address is selected, put in your internal IP here, the subnet mask should fill itself in, & the default gateway you can get from /ipconfig at a command prompt, but is likeliest the address of your router... if you need clearer instructions visit portforward.com instructions there for setting a static ip with screenshots
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Mr_Blobby

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:10:57 pm »
if you set set a static ip on your computer, the lease time becomes irrelevent, (control panel > network & Dial up Connectons, click your internet connection & pick properties, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), & hit properties, make sure the radio button for "use the following IP Address is selected, put in your internal IP here, the subnet mask should fill itself in, & the default gateway you can get from /ipconfig at a command prompt, but is likeliest the address of your router... if you need clearer instructions visit portforward.com instructions there for setting a static ip with screenshots

I agree, but I had indeed selected a static IP in the Control Panel -> network & dial up connections as per above, and the lease time should become inactive, but that's not what I'm seeing!

meowtrox

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SECONDARY AND PRIMARY CONNECTIONS
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 11:09:19 pm »
I WANT to know what's the difference, when it comes to having a secondary network, with a primary network? it's very hard to download files, i mean i have to leave my computer for almost 48 hours, that's suicidal!!!! >:x

please help me, because i don't know what's the difference, and if there's any tips that you can give me..

repost a reply or better email me at

ryoko_shimazaki_187@yahoo.com

thank you very much and i'm looking forward for it  :shock:

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 12:25:44 am »
Here is the difference between the two in an explanation:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/wpn.html

That said you have to have Cable, DSL or other broadband to hold a primary connection to the WinMX Peer Network, you may also have to configure your firewalls, antivirus and DSL Modem/router in order for it to work properly.

Give us a few more details and we can help you do that, its likely that you would have a more stable connection if your using the WinMX Group Patch and running as Primary.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 11:23:52 am »
Check te power options in control properties>display>screensaver>power. except moniter, all others must be set to 'never'. The harddisk truning off could be one cause.
Patch link :

meowtrox

TCP AND UDP
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 09:42:03 am »
what's TCP and UDP? i have a dsl connection and i cant connect to PRIMARY network, anybody can help me? it says it cannot search for a udp / TCP it's impossible ? i dont know, please help me  :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 11:11:51 am »
An TCP port basicially enables you to receive connections from the internet. Download and serch requests are routed through the TCP port.

A UDP port enables you to receive incoming connections. Upload requests are routed through  the UDP port.

Yes your problem CAN BE FIXED. i had the same problem once. You need to open one TCP port and one UDP port. Please go to www.portforward.com to see your router mode;. There you can learn how to configure your router to open the necessary ports. Also make sure to change the settings in winmx at

Settings>Incoming TCP connections, Put the number of the TCP port you have opened.
Settings>In/out UDP, enter your newly opened port number for UDP here.

Please remember to enable winmx to have full access in any firewalls that you may have, If you have XP Service Pack 2, then please enable winmx on the windows firewall.

Tell us how you are faring

Cheers
Patch link :

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 04:57:10 pm »
As for as WinMX is concerned: the UDP is used for Any data going directly to a specific user (for example a whois, a request for a file, a PM, search results, etc...) is sent directly to the destination primary using UDP

TCP is used for the connections between primaries that data is broadcasted to, and also for file transfers (and the connection from secondary to primary)

meowtrox

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 01:16:33 pm »
I STILL CANNOT GET TO RETRIEVE TCP AND UDP IT SUCKS REALLY, I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG< ANY HELP I CAN GET?

thanks for the tip samseesam

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 02:54:38 pm »
Meowtrox, pleaase check that you have tcp and udp enabled and set a port for them.

Go to

1.) settings > internet connection > incoming tcp connections and make sure you have enabled the option to Listen on port 6699 (default, you can chose another one) for incoming connections

2.) settings > internet connection > in/out udp packets and again make sure you've got it enabled to send and receive udp datagrams on port 6257(again that is the default setting, choose any port you like)

Now all you need to make sure is that these two ports you chose are enabled in any firewall, virus protection or any blocking app AND that they are forwarded correctly in your router and/or modem.

If all is set up correctly you should be able to connect as a primary and uploads/downloads should work as well.
Please check everything step by step and let us know if you need further help.

Good luck :D
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Secondary disconnects from Primary node exactly every hour

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx