gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 08, 2024, 02:15:51 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Trying to help a long distance friend get connected
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Trying to help a long distance friend get connected  (Read 1474 times)

noir911

Trying to help a long distance friend get connected
« on: November 10, 2005, 01:43:29 am »
I've been bragging about how wonderful WinMX is and how much I love it and my friend asked me about how he could start using it too.   He's never had it on his machine before.  I told him to install the 1.9 patch and program.  He installed it on his computer but it will not connect.  He says he just gets a yellow light.  He has windows XP home edition on a fairly new Dell computer and he has a cable modem and highspeed internet.  He followed the instructions about what to do with a firewall on WinXP and it didnt make any difference.  He got fed up and uninstalled WinMX but he still wants to try to make it work.  I want to help him get this to working what should I tell him to do?  Please give me steps on this so I can explain it to him .  Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

God bless all the people who got WinMx up and running again.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Trying to help a long distance friend get connected
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 08:09:23 pm »
Hi Noir911,
Welcome.. Its great your getting folks to get connected!

Ok.. where to start..

If he has never had WinMX on his system or its uninstalled at this time the best course of action is to get the Install Version 1.9 from here:

https://www.winmxgroup.com/

Make sure that the file is 1.3MB in size when the download is complete.  Very important as we have had several folks not get the entire file the first few download attempts.

Next have him/her run this file and allow it to install for the XP operating system.

When the Installation gets to the point of testing the TCP and UDP connections, it will often fail.  Its best to tell them to choose the configure manually option at this time.

This is the test procedure, stop this and choose to configure manually.

They will see this screen next, you need to leave these settings as they are here.

Here set the port to Listen on port 6699 by ticking the top option.

Here set the port to Send and Receive on port 6257 by choosing the top option.

Once this is completed they should be able to just sit back and let it connect.

As you know they should see the yellow flashing on the Networks page turn to Green at this point.

If they do not then have them reboot the computer at this time, and restart WinMX after this.  Its best to allow it to connect as a secondary the first time they use it to be sure the connection itself works.  If they use a primary this can fail to connect due to primary requirements

Let me know if they or anyone has any further questions..

Remember that they will need to allow those ports in any firewalls, and routers for WinMX to work properly.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Trying to help a long distance friend get connected

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx