gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 12:40:09 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  winmx constantly uploading(sending) data each time I download a file
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: winmx constantly uploading(sending) data each time I download a file  (Read 3957 times)

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
hi. I just moved from dialup to comcast internet about a week ago. everything is going fine, except I just noticed that each time I download a file, I am also sending data. By dbl-clicking my network icon in the sys.tray, I can see that I am sending about 5kb/sec (about 600MB in 35hrs). This didn't happen with dialup. I don't believe I have any viruses/spyware (I ran scans), and am running zonealarm. There is no data being sent while I am NOT downloading a file. Very concerned, won't use winmx until I find out what's going on. Normal? or problem?  Thanks!

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
When you say sending data what do you actually mean?

Also can you tell me if you are primary or secondary user?
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
double-clicking the network icon, there is a bytes/sent, and bytes/received numbers under 'activity'.I am referring to the sent number. using secondary connection. thanks.

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
also, the speed of the upload (bytes/sent) seems to be proportion to the speed of the download. I was downloading 2 files. 1 at 50kb/s, the 2nd at 4kb/s. when both were downloading, I was sending data at about 5kb/sec. the 1st file finished, then when it was only the 2nd file downloading at 4kb/s, I was sending data much slower at barely, 1/2 kb/sec.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
Okies cool.

Here is a few tutorials that should help you understanding how winmx works:

This one is the basics:

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/winmx_basics.html

This one has lost of information in regards to winmx:

https://www.winmxworld.com/help/winmx.html

Please have a read and post back if this doesnt answer the question.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
thanks-just read them. Unfortunately, I didn't see any info regarding the uploading/sending of data. One thing I really should make more clear; looking in the winmx bandwidth window, there was nothing showing under uploads (no files were being uploaded). on the bottom of that screen though, it does show that there were about 45 bytes/sec outgoing-I think that's normal? So winmx is telling me nothing is being uploaded, but the network connection is showing something very different. When I exit winmx, the network connection sent bytes drops to about zero (I know windows and some browsers will send data).

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
To understand this you need to know how filetransfer works by tcp/ip protocol.
In short, the data you "upload" is no more and no less then the handshaking to maintain the download.
Winmx requests a file to download and gets the first block
then the proper reception is acknoleged
the next block is requested and acknoleged and so on.

On a good connection with no resend requests for improper received blocks the upload will be less then 1k per download

one thing you might be able to do is to tweak the size of your RWIN settings.
This is the size of the receive window for windows. If the data you are receiving is too big, the data stream will need to be fragmented and you'll get more resend requests.

anyway there is a great site called dslreports.
it has a java based tweak test, you run the test and it will make recommendations on what you might be able to change and why.
It also has a small app you can download to help make the changes.

I have always felt running this test and applying the recommended changes has shown an improvement on web responsiveness.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
thanks very much. I guess I've got some reading to do. My first concern, was whether this is legit, or not. From what you say, it is. I really have no problem with the amount of the send data, as long as I know where the data is being sent, and I know I'm not being hacked or some such problem. I will also check out the app on dslreports to find out more. If 1k send is good, what is 5k? And I guess this was going on all these years I was on dial-up, but the connection was too slow to notice!  Thanks!

Offline tig

• Forum Member
Re: winmx constantly uploading(sending) data each time I download a file
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:02 am »
Your Welcome Dapperwin

Please post back with any questions or problems.

I am sure that one of us will be able to assist you around the place. And yes it is different from been on dial up to adsl.

Happy winmxing!

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 12:38:30 pm »
what is 5k?

depending if you are talking about 1 download it just means you are downloading the file about 5 times to get it complete, not a splendid connection.
if you are talking about 5 downloads at the same time, it is 1k per file and that is ok

Offline dapperwin

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
wonderer; 5k=5kb--when  I 1st noticed this, I had 2 downloads going. 1st at 50kb/sec, the 2nd at 4kb/sec. The data sent activity told me that I was sending data at around 5kb/sec during both downloads. when the 1st d/l finished, the data sent activity dropped to around 400-450bytes/sec. The 5k references, in part, your previous answer mentioning 1k of data-sent per each download ("On a good connection with no resend requests for improper received blocks the upload will be less then 1k per download") seems, with 2 downloads, the send-data s/b no more than 2kb/sec., but I'm sure tha's an estimate?  I will keep looking to see if it's consistent. thanks.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »
No exact figures can be given, two downloads can differ widely if one is coming from a fast connection and the other from a slow, weak connection. On a slow connection the number of requests can be about 0.5k as it takes longer to transfer a block of data thus making the number of requests lower. These figures are just to give you a hint what happens.

If you are down and uploading at the same time you may have to throttle your download speed to get some proper uploadspeed left.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 10:44:01 pm »
You have to tell the person you're downloading from what they need to send you... and it's overhead from the tcp/ip protocol.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  winmx constantly uploading(sending) data each time I download a file

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx