gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 01, 2024, 02:34:30 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Clients  |  3.31 protocol supporting client
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3.31 protocol supporting client  (Read 18296 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: 3.31 protocol supporting client
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »
Amen Stripes  8)

Its the sharing of code and ideas that have firstly enabled us to stay here as a community and to keep that community alive.

In response to the idea you put forward Ritchy yes we did look into plugins, daemons and other methods of controlling the primary integrity but none where found to be as secure and acceptable to all of the folks in the core section who operate as a technical pool for ideas and discussions, I,m always going to be disappointed you refused to say sorry as you should have done and denied yourself the chance to put good ideas and discuss many of the ideas others have as you do have one thing I commend you for and thats an interest in winmx even if its just the chats, but put yourelf in my position would you let some guy who cant tell the difference between right and wrong have access to information that could allow them to act in an even worse manner ? Of course you wouldnt.

A lot of discussion has been undertaken and information shared so all those who do have access to the core section are able to state their case with confidence and empowered in discussions, thats what this is all about for me, sharing knowledge, empowering others and knowing I have done what I could to ensure the community can remain even if folks like me get run over by a steam roller, can you not see sharing is the way ahead and I,m not talking about rswcs thats your fun and games and I,m happy to leave you to it but when it comes to doing whats best for the community take a deep breath do some discussing and then see what you can do to put something back, even if its just advice as to do otherwise is to leave yourself looking like the only guy who refused to help the community and worse attacked those who are working hard to recover it from a terminal course, it can be done but not while any single interest is pushed forward at the expense of the rest of the community, just do some thinking Ritchy theres no shame in that.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 11:44:20 pm »
I find it offensive that you can even state we have deleted posts as we have never deleted a single one, can you confirm that no admin has ever deleted one on here?

I don't mean to butt in. But a long long long time ago I posted a thread on your forum to share some code with the community. The code was the Installer Code that I was distributing privately to some friends. It allowed script writers to use shell functions for creating folders that the script writer could then use to store data. It was only ever for developers since it had no function by itself. I use the same foundations of that code in all my current scripts. Anyway after I posted you or sean replied saying that the script was interesting or that you liked that someone was doing something unique with Metis. So a few months went by and I thought I'd check back on the topic to see if there were any more comments. But I couldn't find it anymore. I couldn't find it anywhere on the forum maybe it was moved to another section but I couldn't find it. I don't know if it was deleted as I cant remember how hard I looked for it but anyway worth noting.

I thought the script was important to share if a little late for the obviously dwindling Metis scripters out there.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:04 am »
I'm sorry Pri we had a database issue and lost quite a bit of the forum.  Your post I assume was likely part of this loss, as we have attempted to put the site back together since.

Reef: Actually my script was made by myself from scratch for a particular person, I have no interest in WWE and don't even know the rules etc.  That person provided me with the output text they wanted used and what they wanted the script to do and I custom wrote it, if the text outputs were from reef's script then congrats but it was a complete, from scratch script write.

As for the plugin (as you haven't provided sources for the quote)
http://therebelion.myfreeforum.org/about945.html
It was a non working plugin Raven made.  I changed it fixed it, compiled it, tested it and released it.  Same as many people do with metis scripts which don't work.  The coding is different and therefore that is why I released it as my version of the OnTimer.  Therefore the quote, taken out of context shows the plugin in a very different light, pity you didn't also quote the rest of the story...

I have offered several times in private and public to assist community projects Quicks, however each time I am rebutted.  The problem with that is, and both of us know it, that I do have knowledge of developing and in depth knowledge of the chat protocol.  I have a basic understanding of the primary and secondary protocol which if I applied myself and bothered to surf the net and read sourcecodes of current clients, I could put a secondary client together to replicate WinMX.  The issue will always be the primary protocol.  But since you are omitting this from your project, it seems there never will be a replacement for the real WinMX client.  By adding it to a seperate "program" (call it what you like, i.e. dll, plugin or whatever) you would be able to control access to the primary calls (by adding custom encryption, or even using the current Winmx encryption methods) thus enabling the client full usage.  Not many people can reverse engineer corporate programs so using a similar method to obscure the primary protocol file could be done...
Security issues could be cleared up with more discussions but to point blank say no to primary support is a wasted opportunity IMO, single only with full WinMX replacement will there really be a step forwards otherwise your client will always be relying on primary WinMX clients on the network to actually allow it to fully work...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:23 am »
the plan is to have primary just that portion wont be open source... doesnt mean the binary doesnt have working primary...

and your 'fix and re-release' still doesnt cover not crediting the original author...

..whose to say you wont swipe code of a full winmx clone... rebrand it RSMX..  add a handfull of hacks... say you 'rewrote' it so its 'yours and yours alone' and not release any changes you make...

...am i too far off the mark there richy? cos it seems thats your course of action everywhere else...

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »
Unfortunately you are way off the mark...

What "hacks" have I added?  I think your terminology should be a kludge?  Pick your words carefully :)

None of my metis scripts use any kind of kludge as they work exactly as they should.  My plugins again work just as they should, and RSWCS may well contain kludges, but they work well even if they aren't "beautiful" code.

A kludged program is still better than a broken/damaged/buggy one no matter what you try and pretend.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »
that pride of yours is like screaming at a brick wall...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »
Well, there ya go Stripes, it would be fair to take his Kludged program, fix it n make it all sweet, then call it your own, built from scratch, all yours
but you wouldnt do that would you? or would you?
I suppose what's good for the cat is good for the canary...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »
What programs has Ritchy written ? I hope he is not going to claim he wrote KM's work.

I was going to write up here just why creating a secondary client first was more efficient that creating a primary one first but to be honest I dont believe he cant figure that out I really feel he is pretending to be be stupid to waste my time.

I will be contacting KM this week to see if something can be done about Ritchys unlicenced WCS releases, I really dont have time to waste on this unruly child. 

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 05:20:22 pm »
I wrote a script awhile back called alias where a command is executed and a fake user "appears" to have entered the chat room.It was just for a bit of fun and a few laughs.Richy commented...

silly question but... i presume the user who "entered" will not appear on the userlist?
nice idea but not sure how "useful" it wld be :P

Now hes planning on making it into a plugin for the wcs version hes modifying. No doubt the whole concept will have been all his idea as well   ;)

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 06:37:19 pm »
I don't believe I've made, started, or released anything of this nature even.

But yes someone did suggest it and I claimed it pointless as it is a pointless script and I was more interested in creating a proper bot feature.  You will see soon enough. :)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 06:48:09 pm »
I'm sorry Pri we had a database issue and lost quite a bit of the forum.  Your post I assume was likely part of this loss, as we have attempted to put the site back together since.

Fair enough, stuff like that happens.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »
Fair enough, stuff like that happens.
Hi Pri,
you are right, things do happen, sometimes its by another hand,
i found out a few years ago, 1 free hosing co. offered a pay for service as well,
when they decided to stop offering help to free forums, only willing to help pay for forums, i took up helping the free forums all i could,
they realised more people was seeking my help than paying to go pro, they deleted my forum for me, i stared again from scratch to where i am now.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »
Quote from: reef
I wrote a script awhile back called alias where a command is executed and a fake user "appears" to have entered the chat room.It was just for a bit of fun and a few laughs.

perfect for some hallows eve lols :P

"Bad Ronald000_00000 has entered the room" ... ofc this is even better if the name doesnt show in the userlist...

Quote from: skank
yes someone did suggest it and I claimed it pointless as it is a pointless script

dont have a funny bone in your entire body do you....

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 01:38:25 am »
Your wasting your breath Stripes, the self styled chat room "string editing king"  knows better than any of us lol
 Better shut up myself of or he may develop the CHAT to a new plateau and make us all redundant  :lol: :lol:

When you get bored of editing strings and permissions ritchy what about making a program or something useful from scratch however firstly can I suggest fixing the new problem you have created with your "Kludged" (broken) WCS ?  Having had at least three complaints from folks its obviously something you need to address.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 04:15:00 am »
perfect for some hallows eve lols :P

"Bad Ronald000_00000 has entered the room" ... ofc this is even better if the name doesnt show in the userlist...

Well not sure how many use it, but i know our room has had some good fun with it lol

@richy

Quote from: richy
However i'm gonna make this into a rswcs plugin

source here: http://therebelion.myfreeforum.org/alias_unlimited_about1145.html

Pointless  But all of a sudden you want to make it into a plugin.  :crazy:

And just a side note: the script originally posted on the rebelion is a stripped down mod done by reactor

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 04:38:26 am »
must be easier to make a plugin than fix the server ;)

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 04:15:49 pm »
As you said on another thread Quicks
Quote from: GhostShip
either show some proof or stop saying it as its really not fair to make statements that are not supported with any proof
What parts need fixing?  With a top uptime of 159 days it seems to me to be stable and works >.>

And it's definately easier to make a plugin than a server... does it really take that much to figure that out... however as stated there is no Alias plugin since I didnt go on and make it.  The post about making it into a plugin is because it would actually work much better if you could call the actual entry/exit functions and make it show in the userlist (all very simply done in a plugin but impossible in metis).  However I soon decided that the "feature" was not one I personally wanted to develop to go go with RSWCS.

Quicks?  How do you "string edit" a sourcecode to add in a rich text gui?  Or plugin support in a server that never had it?  Or a whole host of other features and changes made that you put down to "string editing".  If it was done by just "string editing" then I really would be king since that pretty amazing.  Try asking Piney how little knowledge I have of programming when he has seen first hand sections of code and even my spontaneous assistance/fixing of portions of code.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »
You claim to have added all of these things ritchy but we only have your word on that as you refuse to act with honour and show your sources to anyone even though you offered to do so on this very forum, I suggested a few programmers who are respected and you havent done as you claimed you would, doesnt that make you a liar ?

Btw its pretty easy to add most things when there is so much open src about and you dont have to show where you stole it from, thats usually the reason ppl hide their srcs.
Adding a plugin interface is also not very hard to do when there is the same interface in WCB and RoboMx that you can use as a template to learn from , please dont make out like its hard to do when you and I know different.

As I told you already 3 folks have made complaints about the ram usage on your new plugin ridden releases of modified WCS so please address your comments to them and not myself as frankly I dont care if you fix it or not just talking plainly and unlike yourself I dont have to go around trying to bully folks into agreeing with me, just look at how many folks this week are not running WCS compared to last week, stop being so lazy and asking me to do all your work.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Clients  |  3.31 protocol supporting client

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx