gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 07:26:14 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs  (Read 835 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:36 am »
http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/08/browsers-turn-their-backs-on-old-macs/

As there must be one or two users still running old Macs so i've posted this article.

Word is out that Firefox 4, when it ships at the end of October or thereabouts, will probably not include support for older, non-Intel Macs.

Mozilla’s director of Firefox Mike Beltzner hinted at the change on a Mozilla developer mailing list last week: “I am gathering data on the number of PPC users we have, but the likely outcome is that we will not be supporting PPC for Firefox 4. More on that as I get the data.”

PowerPC Mac users have precious few options for modern web browsers these days. Firefox 3.6 will likely be the last Firefox option for PowerPC Macs, and Google Chrome only runs on Intel machines. Apple is still supporting PowerPC Macs with Safari releases, but the latest version, Safari 5, requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later — users still running 10.4 (Tiger) can only run Safari 4.1, which has many of the features found in Safari 5, but is likely the end of the line. Opera 10 runs on older PowerPC Macs, but it struggles. Opera 9 is more reliable, but has fewer features. Slim pickings, and getting slimmer.

Of course, the problem could be solved by upgrading. And we have — most of us already have second or third machines at this point.

Our aging computers, especially laptops, are often put into service as dedicated devices for streaming music, checking e-mail or browsing recipes in the kitchen. In today’s cloud-based world, you need a good web browser to do most of those tasks.

An old machine that still runs but doesn’t have a decent browser is basically worthless.

I have one such old Mac — a G3 iBook — and my personal savior has been Camino. It’s a fantastic browser built on Firefox code. It can handle all the necessary music streaming and Gmail duties, and it’s lightweight enough to do so without beachballing. I don’t need all my add-ons and doo-dads, just Flash Player and a reasonable level of stability. I’ve been using it for years.

Time marches on.  :gum:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:55 am »
stick AROS and an amiga sticker on em ;)

...or linux and call it a file/web/print server.... or jukebox...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »
I think the last PowerPC Mac that Apple was shipping was the PowerMac in 2006 (PowerMac which was replaced by the Mac Pro in June 2006).

From the data I've seen most of the web fairing Mac users are running Intel. Mac users are very fast to upgrade not only there operating systems but also to replace there old hardware.

Personally I've had 2 Intel Macs (MacBook Pros) already since 2005 when I had a PowerPC based PowerBook. So I'm not really that bothered about the news. If this helps Mozilla focus and improve the software it's all good by me as I do use Firefox on my Mac.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Browsers Turn Their Backs on Old Macs

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx