gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 04:31:48 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"  (Read 3816 times)

Offline vsovereign

• Forum Member
File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:53 am »
Could someone please help me?

Some of the files, when I tried to download them, give me this message
File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"
I don't know what is wrong with the files. As this thing happen only since last week. Also, if I tried to repeatedly repeat the download, sometimes they can get into the queue and can be downloaded.
It makes me crazy since some of the files were okay, and then somehow they have this :(

Thanks in advance!

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
Re: File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:04 am »
Hiya,
what operating system you use? Windows Vista or 7?
it is possible they are classed as read-only files now, i dont know why, im not a vista or 7 user.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline vsovereign

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
No I'm still using my old Windows XP. Do you have any idea what I should do?

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
    • Maxtech
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »
Ok lets see,
your G drive is that an external? it maybe windows don't see it correctly, (possible fix re-install its drivers)
if internal, its possible it has read-only access on it, like right click the shared folder on your G drive and click properties, see if it is read only ticked at bottom,
you can try untick it if it is, if it reverts back to read only, try same thing in safe mode but logged in as administrator,

Offline vsovereign

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:27:33 pm »
My G drive is external. But I never use any drivers. Just plug and play.

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
    • Maxtech
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:51 pm »
when you 1st plugged it in, windows would have found the external and used built in drivers to power it,
if you go to:
control panel > system > hardware tab > click device manager button > this opens a window, you locate your external (when its plugged in) and click properties > it will probably show you its working correctly, you can also update or roll back (restore previous) drivers within windows xp,

also did you notice if your shared/external is read only? you may have to change that in administrator (safe mode)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:19 pm »
exit winmx and any other applications that are writing to drive G: and do start > run > and in the run box type cmd then click ok or hit enter...

in the black box type 'chkdsk g: /f' (no quotes) ... if it says it has open handles and that it needs to force them closed check again to make sure that no apps are writing to the drive then type 'y' .... the disk will be checked for filesystem errors...

reboot... try winmx again...

note; always use the 'remove hardware' function of windows when removing mass storage devices such as card readers usb thumb drives and external harddrives even if ppl say its ok not to do so.... (this goes for everyone)

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »
Though I must admit I can't find the topic back, might be just overlooking it,
 I found this link https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=37.0

In case you can't find it either, file error (5) means the file cannot be found.
This might be due to a rename or a move of the file after being qued for download.
In some occasions it was even due to moving the complete incoming folder.
If the incompletes are shared from a networkdrive or an external drive, the drive might be offline at the moment WinMx tries to write to it.

hope this helps

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:05:47 am »
Generally speaking, it is preferable NOT to use external drives for incoming or Shared files locations, the USB connection is not fully stable, and there have been reports of head thrashing and premature death of drives...

Incoming files best received into a suitable folder in C:\ and then manually transferred
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:50 am »
not so much usb (it does have error correction... sorta...) as it is heat buildup... external hdds arent ment to be run for long periods of time unless you have an enclosure ment for it.... such enclosures are usually aluminum and have a built-in fan.... and tend to cost a pretty penny...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:15:06 am »
my external HDD is a bare drive sittin on benchtop connected by a multi-interface dongle tool, but thats Geek Life for ya...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:41:26 am »
mines not external anymore... ripped its cheap plastic case apart and bolted it to the inside of the case... its connected to the 'ghost port' of an add-on usb 2.0 card..... next step... get rid of the wall wart and run it off the computer psu... ;)

its a seagate freeagent btw (or was?) those drives are notorious for failure but its not the drive its the shitty plastic case causing them to soar to temps above 50C (mine almost died) ... it runs happily at around 28 to 34C now :]

also to note to the original poster ... usb drives that get their power from the usb port are really prone to failure due to the lack of power the port can provide to run the drive.... so make sure its got a wall wart...

Offline vsovereign

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:27:26 am »
exit winmx and any other applications that are writing to drive G: and do start > run > and in the run box type cmd then click ok or hit enter...

in the black box type 'chkdsk g: /f' (no quotes) ... if it says it has open handles and that it needs to force them closed check again to make sure that no apps are writing to the drive then type 'y' .... the disk will be checked for filesystem errors...

reboot... try winmx again...

I've checked the disk for error. But not using 'chkdsk g: /f' I used the windows properties and ordered disk check.
I checked it again using your instruction. It says 'Windows has checked the file system and found no problems''

But I still get the error.

The error is not general. It's on specific files. Yet even then, sometimes they can be found and downloaded.
Sometimes the files that can be downloaded now, can't be downloaded tomorrow.

Anymore ideas?

note; always use the 'remove hardware' function of windows when removing mass storage devices such as card readers usb thumb drives and external harddrives even if ppl say its ok not to do so.... (this goes for everyone)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:31 am »
right click those specific files and check if they are set 'read only' or not... if not check that the permissions have you set as being the owner or able to access that file...

er... right click ... select properties... 'general' tab should have the 'read only' and 'hidden' boxes... neither should be ticked...

on security tab... both the 'system' and 'administrators' accounts should have 'full control' ticked....

since you are using XP i assume you are using it as an admin?

Offline itsme

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »
My incoming files folder and share folder are both on a Samba share. Had it on a local hard drive first, but that drive is full. So moved all to my Linux server and created a Samba share for winmx to use. At first I had a lot of problems (error 5, Access to file...). After rebooting Win-XP and therefore re-starting winmx haven't seen the problem any more.
So it seems possible to use a network share for your files. Hopefully I have helped somebody with this info.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Error> (5)"Access to G:\%address of file%" was denied"

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx