gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 07:50:28 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Russian Hacker Builds 70 Terabyte Home Computer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Russian Hacker Builds 70 Terabyte Home Computer  (Read 898 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Russian Hacker Builds 70 Terabyte Home Computer
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/208655/russian_hacker_builds_70_terabyte_home_computer.html?tk=hp_new

Ever find yourself deleting some files to make room for your overgrown media collection? Thanks to a new hack from a Russian PC enthusiast you should have plenty of room for your MP3 collection, along with the collections of everybody else you know. The hack consists of an array of 60 hard drives and the whole thing holds a whopping 70 terabytes of data.

That translates to 70,000 DVD-quality movies or, if you’re more musically inclined, somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 million songs. Of course, that kind of storage space doesn’t come easy. Besides the 60 drives themselves the rig requires 40 cooling fans to keep the temperature under control.

The final package may not win any awards for case design but the whole thing has a certain kind of stark utilitarian beauty to it. Presumably the unnamed maker is keeping the case open so he can switch the set up out with even heftier drives as they come along to keep the project from looking like an absurd relic a decade or so from now thanks to the storage equivalent to Moore’s Law.

I'm wondering what he's using for a psu and how big the fans have to be to keep all that lot cool. It's alright, but you can probably fry eggs on the mother board as an added extra.   :lol:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Russian Hacker Builds 70 Terabyte Home Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »
t's alright, but you can probably fry eggs on the mother board as an added extra.

actually the motherboard wouldnt be any hotter than the one in any other machine.... the 40 fans are for the insane amount of heat the harddrives themselves are putting out....

oh and pri, if you come across this article, think you can beat this? ;)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:25 pm »
I got a 45TB server in my home that I built lol this is nothing. Friend of mine has a 100TB server and his just started working on a 200TB server to replace that one.

Story should be, Russian Guy makes really shitty storage box out of wood.

EDIT:// lol I just noticed Silvers post mentioning me. His seen my server before.

Offline sharing sarah

• Forum Member
  • A Music & Movie Spectrum_F135E44219F6
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:57:04 am »
Well I must admit Project Colossus is way nicer looking.

:)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Russian Hacker Builds 70 Terabyte Home Computer

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx