gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 06:01:09 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed  (Read 1248 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Yesterday, Mac antivirus firm SecureMac issued an alert regarding a new piece of malware capable of infecting systems running Mac OS X by using a trojan horse method of entry to deploy a Java-based payload enabling a wide variety of nefarious functions.

The trojan horse, trojan.osx.boonana.a, is spreading through social networking sites, including Facebook, disguised as a video. The trojan is currently appearing as a link in messages on social networking sites with the subject "Is this you in this video?"

When a user clicks the infected link, the trojan initially runs as a Java applet, which downloads other files to the computer, including an installer, which launches automatically. When run, the installer modifies system files to bypass the need for passwords, allowing outside access to all files on the system. Additionally, the trojan sets itself to run invisibly in the background at startup, and periodically checks in with command and control servers to report information on the infected system. While running, the trojan horse hijacks user accounts to spread itself further via spam messages. Users have reported the trojan is spreading through e-mail as well as social media sites.
macrumors

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:04 pm »
...but i thought macs didnt get viruses ;)

Offline thunderwinds

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:52:46 am »
i dobt even linux is 100% imune to viruses.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:56:40 am »
it was a joke.... ever since macs first came out its followers have been saying that it doesnt get viruses...

linux, and any other system, incl even industrial control systems (see 'stuxnet') can get viruses....

windows has tons of av produts available for it (dos before it did too)
linux users are a bunch of security tightwads because linux gets hacked/virused/rootkitted/younameit (lotsa linux running webservers out there)

...but mac users just hum along in denial or... i dunno what it is... there are even flamewars on forums between mac fans on the subject...

the commonly held idea for the reason of the small number of nasties for the mac is the amount of macs in use is small compared to say.. windows so taking the time to write a worm/virus/trojan for mac isnt really a priority due to the lack of a good return (read $$$).... but as more macs sell and more iOS (iOS is stripped down OSX) devices sell things will get nasty...

the ipad and iphone have already been exploited and patched (tho AT&T was blamed for the biggest problem rather than apple... odd...)

the funniest part about this is that both josh and pri (both apple product users/fans and forum regulars) caught that joke.... was honestly expecting something from josh on that one but he withheld (quite proud of him for that) .....

lol

Offline thunderwinds

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »
Sorry i'm good at not catching jokes.  i actualy run windows, leopard and open suse on different machines.  it's not so much the number of mac sales increasing as the popularity of hackintoshes along with ease of availibility of appropriat kext that  may eventualy cause a rise in the number of viruses and the like for mac's.  At last count i knew of 3 av apps for the mac.  As well as a couple of malware/spyware removel tools. it does seem that mac users are becoming aware of the potential for viruses if they wern't before.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Java-Based Malware Targets Mac OS X, But Threat Level Disputed

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx