gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 07:57:43 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Security firms blast Microsoft for free antivirus offer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Security firms blast Microsoft for free antivirus offer  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Security firms blast Microsoft for free antivirus offer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »
If it wasnt for those third parties finding the holes in the first place MS systems would be down more than up, as I said I see this as a loss leader if anything and its plain to me ms are misusing their monopoly position to drive out competition, this isnt the first time they have done this sort of thing recently, have we forgotten their refusal to co-operate with many of the larger anti virus companies and their licence scam that means developers have to pay them for a licence or win7 declares your program as "unknown" and potentially harmful ?

A scams a scam dont be fooled by the expensive suits behind it.

You still use IE6 though right. I mean you condemn the behavior but enjoy the fruits of their labor. Microsoft already have a monopoly over Computing that doesn't simply mean they should roll over and dissolve. This Anti-virus is good for consumers anyway you look at it.

If you think it isn't a good product then list a negative. And Active X always worked fine on the Mac browsers back in the day Stripes, they were 1:1 compatible with the Active X and Intranet system that Microsoft used with IE on Windows. So to say that it blocked competition and forced people to buy more Windows clients isn't true as their only real competitor was Apple and it ran fine on that system. And no one was forcing other browser makers not to conform to the standards of the day.

Every company comes up with their own proprietary standards the difference is Microsofts ones have become popular and used while others usually don't. Just look at Apple's Mini-Display Port, Firewire, Apple Display Connector (as hardware examples) or their Bonjour service, Airplay, Facetime as software examples. Sony did it too, UMD Discs, Sony Memory Sticks, Bluray.

There is a point where you just have to let the market decide what the market wants you can't just keep slapping companies on the wrist when they get popular. If anything blame the purchasing departments of these companies that enter in to huge buying contracts with companies that may end support for your software. Open standards in the work place are more important now than ever before. Open Documents, web standards on intranet and so on.

And also Silver you are talking about just one use scenario for IE. It was given for free to consumers who make up 80% of Windows users. Non-Business use, any way that you look at it Microsoft hasn't really made a dime off IE. Their original motivation for making it is they didn't want users spending money on a browser when they could be spending money on other software (like Microsoft made software, Office etc) and what is wrong with that? If you didn't want office in the first place you just got a free browser. yay competition!

This is fun ;)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »
activex running 1:1 on macos classic on a power pc with windows on intel? somehow i doubt that... two different cpus to begin with... i said i wasnt talking about now i was talking about then ....

btw, memory sticks are still used (tho SD is standard in anything not sony.. for the most part..) and bluray... i dunno... have to disagree with that one... DVD is still the medium of choice for digital video but bluray is the current HD carrier...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 02:19:16 pm »
I was also talking about then. It worked fine. 1:1 I'm telling you.

And again I never said that other companies had a monopoly over their custom standards. I said that all companies produce proprietary systems. Microsoft's are popular while other companies are not. That was the point that you didn't understand.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »
why do i have a funny feeling microsofts 'standards' are only popular due to its marketshare and not whats desired however...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 02:46:29 pm »
why do i have a funny feeling microsofts 'standards' are only popular due to its marketshare and not whats desired however...

Bit of both. The products drive standard adoption. If they make a standard and dont use it in a product it wont get used. Apple used AAC on the iPod (Something they didn't make, they license it) but without the product AAC wouldn't be popular today.

I don't like proprietary stuff. I like open standards that anyone can implement easily and hopefully for zero to little cost. I don't think any of this really compares to this Antivirus offering though. They bought a company that offered an antivirus, rebranded it and released it. I don't really see a problem with that considering there are many other free antiviruses available and personally I'm sick of paying for a decent antivirus, I don't want to have to.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »
it doesnt have anything to do with the AV product anymore.... there was even a dos based AV that shipped with dos 6.22 that was a licenced and rebranded product... it has to do with option.... as long as ms' av offering remains optional its fine by me....

its the grotesque move they made with IE, among other things, that has many hating microsoft... if IE were a completely uninstallable option i dont think the DOJ would have gotten involved with microsoft back when....

...as for paying for av products... with so many free available.... why did you buy one?

--edit; got cut off--

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 03:00:57 pm »
It'll stay optional don't worry. And I bought an Anti-Virus because all the free ones were shit, this is a few years ago now, I've been using the Microsoft offerings for a long time. Disclaimer I'm a Microsoft partner and I've had access to this Antivirus and their self made one (before they acquired the Antivirus they are pushing now) for the last 4 years or so.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Security firms blast Microsoft for free antivirus offer

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx