gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:42:27 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  hacker disconnecting WinMX?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: hacker disconnecting WinMX?  (Read 9450 times)

Offline MAN

• Forum Member
hacker disconnecting WinMX?
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »
My WinMX was working fine, and I could stay on for days.  Then some dude sent me a nasty message on WinMX and right after that my WinMX keeps disconnecting.  I have no idea what his problem with me is since I am sharing plenty of various files and using MXmonitor, etc, and observing the proper rules and etiquette.  I have to power down my cable modem and re-power it to get WinMX to re-connect.  Then, of course, I have to go try and get all those downloads re-started, AND try and get peep's uploads started back up and I bet they aren't happy, either.
Any help figuring out if this dude is hacking me and causing this problem or is it something else?  If it is hacking, how do I keep him out of my PC?  I have Norton 360 installed and Spybot, also.
Thanks for any help :D

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: hacker disconnecting WinMX?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »
From what your stating its a possibility this person is just using a simple off the shelf DOS attack tool, not any skill required to operate, calling such people "hackers" is not what I would call them, criminals is more the correct wording, if you want to gather some evidence and see this guy in trouble with the law and his ISP get yourself a TCP/UDP viewer and watch what IPs connect to you and when you spot one that is appearing all the times you have problems then you have the information you need to report this person  :S

If you cant see any repeat IPs its more likely other factors are to blame, can you confirm what version of WinMX your using and can you ensure you close both chat windows and search windows after you have finished using them as these act as homing beacons to the commercial WinMX attackers and closing them helps the network stay efficient.

Offline MAN

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:44:49 pm »
Hi, GhostShip. Thanks for replying.
Oops, should have mentioned WinMX 3.54b4 from here on WinMXWorld.com.
I close search windows and close chat when not in use.
I'm not the best at this, so could you please recommend a "TCP/UDP viewer" and where to get it?  I know it's asking a lot, but any pointers on how to operate it would be great, too.
If it is not this guy who is disconnecting my WinMX, could my next suspect be my ISP capping/throttling me?
Thanks for the help!  :D

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:07:50 pm »
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

TCP connection viewer..... dunno if a manual is included tho....

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:16 pm »
Hi Man :)
I would like to confirm you are using the latest connection, blocking & filtering patch.
Upper left of main winmx window should say Community Patch.
If not please consider updating
 https://patch.winmxconex.com
Any idea how this user is finding you ?
From files you are trying to download / files you share / a room you park in ?
Have you seen him in queue since, either in download or upload window or had a message since ?
If not, I would say problem is coincidence....
The picture of settings here will show 'all users' in download window that you have queued on even if they now ignore you or have gone offline
Until you click 'Purge Users'
To see users in upload queue search moni logs (if enabled) and see if he shows that way...
If not parking in chatrooms, then upload/download queue is only way he 'finds' you, so must show there somewhere..
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:45:36 pm »
I have no idea what his problem with me is since I am sharing plenty of various files and using MXmonitor

His problem with you could be the MxM lol
Ive seen people do worse over it if the application that stripes suggested doesnt work for you theres an easy program called open ports http://www.download3000.com/download_21511.html
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
MxM can hang your WinMx if wrongly used, but hanging a modem ....

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:41 pm »
hmm have used MxM since 1.21 never had a problem with it, would agree moni could be upsetting him though,
especially if you use ignore by speed and multi queue ignore (something I never use, someone whom multi q's could be the perfect trading source ;)
by default moni has some dumb ignores
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline MAN

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
Hi, folks. Not ignoring your posts. I'm trying to incorporate the use of the TCP/UDP proggy while using WinMX. It's taking some time waiting for something to happen.

In the meantime, I'd like to address your concerns as best I can:

I got my WinMX 3.54b4 from here:  https://patch.winmxconex.com/ and the upper left box reads: WinMx Community Patch 1.0 - Thanks EagleE !!! <FSR=0 BC=0>
As far as I know that is the latest patch, and I've noticed that my WinMX checks for updates.

I have seen the suspect user in my Download queue screen (me in his upload queue). I assume WinMX puts me in his upload queue when WinMX's "finding sources" operation sees a file I'm wanting in his shares and that's how I get there. I suppose when he sees me in his upload queue, he starts his maliciousness.

There's only one room I go to, and it's rigorously monitored by the admins, and I've never seen the perp in there. He wouldn't have any interest in that room considering what's in his shares.

My WinMX disconnect has happened a couple of times without me seeing him in my download queue, but I'm assuming he has changed his name, has my IP address noted, or knows my shares, or some other way to find me. I have changed my WinMX name on the Networks screen and in Settings, but the problem happened those couple of more times.

On a side-note: it's my understanding (obviously I could be wrong here since I'm no expert) that it's not supposed to be a big deal how many files one user has queued in your Upload queue since your own WinMX upload queue settings determine how many files one user can get at a time, while others get their turn at your files. True, apparently there are proggys that enable "queue jumping," but minus that, WinMX's own queue settings should "turn-stile" peeps in your upload queue. So if I have my upload queue settings at 6 total uploads with one upload per user, WinMX should make everyone wait their turn for one file each. So if I have 30 files queued in my upload queue from 20 users, I know that the one user with 10 files queued will have to wait for his current file to finish before his next file starts and the other users will get their uploads started even though they may have queued up their files hours after the user who queued up 10 files.
Geez, hope all that made some sense.

The only part of MXmonitor I use to cancel and ignore is monitoring of how many files a user has shared. Keeping the above explanation in mind, I don't freak when I see a bazillion files queued in my upload queue. As long as no one is using a queue jumper, and MXmonitor is preventing leeches, I assume WinMX is taking care of my upload queue on it's own. I agree with Savage Blades, I don't ignore by speed or multi-queue.

Thanks for all the help! :D

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 03:09:39 pm »
i just block moni users cos of the one-slot 'trader' mentality and the norm of not paying attention to monis bad defaults.... but i can see why someone would get ticked off and DoS a moni trader if the that person was a sharer and got severly leeched off of by a moni one-slot.... not that two wrongs make a right....

was there a specific file being transferred when this nasty message was recived? may need to unshare it for a while.... (much as i hate saying that) since they could just be using 'auto find sources' to find you....

a change of WPN username couldnt hurt... it would throw them off if they are using the above method and the file is (hopefully) shared by more than you....

if they are going farther than those methods to find you then they are a bit more than just ticked off...

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
HEllo,

since you know the suspect why not block his ip to see if that makes the problem stop?

greetings, ..Joshua
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:50 pm »
To do that MAN may need some help on how to figure out the IP of the suspect

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 10:31:26 am »
yeah he may or even he might know .... i dunnow yet :canadian:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:38:37 pm »
The  thing that concerns me here is that the modem has to be powered down then back up to reconnect mx. That says that it's being set back to default settings right? Can the upnp just be buggering his settings in the patch? We all know hacking/cracking a user without some sort of trojan server installed on the victim is not easy for experienced hacks so I think that's a wrong turn here. I think the issue is just a technical one that can be figured out with enough brain power. *edit by me* Wanted to add also that if the router is reset while mx is running using the upnped settings then mx won't try the defaults till it's restarted while the router is returned to defaults and says ok this connection is ok now. Could that be what's going on here?
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »
Is it possible the modem is just over heating? Are their any errors in your event log? does modem have any sort of gui interface where you can check logs? id be looking for things like kernal restarts etc.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline mammatee

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 04:20:47 pm »
Could this be what is happening to me??  My winmx was working just fine.  I remember getting a message while I was away from computer.  The person wasn't in my q when I eturned but i opened the blinking message and there was no message.  Now I can connect but within 5 minutes I am shut down and out  I get a message from windows saying there was a problem but no solution.  Anybody think its connected?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »
o.O

this thread just gets weirder and weirder.......

new tactic by mediadefender? (they arent the most intelligent bunch but dont underestimate someone whos backed into a corner)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:49:34 am »
Could this be what is happening to me??  My winmx was working just fine.  I remember getting a message while I was away from computer.  The person wasn't in my q when I eturned but i opened the blinking message and there was no message.  Now I can connect but within 5 minutes I am shut down and out  I get a message from windows saying there was a problem but no solution.  Anybody think its connected?

No I do not think they're connected mammatee. I hope I gave you an idea for a fix in the other post you made concerning this. https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=22.msg50999#new
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline swaggie

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 01:46:30 am »
hiya guys , who the hell is responsible for the current winmx problem, its getting harder to get into rooms 

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  hacker disconnecting WinMX?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx