gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 07:07:05 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The Sole BitTorrent Client Financed by European Funds – Tribler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Sole BitTorrent Client Financed by European Funds – Tribler  (Read 776 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
http://www.p2pon.com/

Here comes Tribler – currently the only tax-funded BitTorrent client around – a special project of the researchers at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.

So what’s the deal with Tribler? Well, first of all, it seems to be the first really decentralized BitTorrent client ever – check out the ‘Search’ bar at the top of the app and you’ll see it actually lets you search the swarm for torrents instead of needing to use an external torrent indexer like The Pirate Bay.

Apart from being fully decentralized, this p2p client does pack in some cool features. It offers a functional ‘spam control’ feature which means users are able to up- and down-vote ‘channels’ of torrents and .

In a previous post we reported uTorrent’s latest additions which include the VLC player (a favorite among BitTorrent users). Well, the versatile media player is not missing from Tribler either (so you can watch or listen to torrent files while downloading).

Tribler is open source, compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux and can be downloaded free of charge.

A free download doesn't mean a free program.  :gum:

Offline RebelMX

• Core
Re: The Sole BitTorrent Client Financed by European Funds – Tribler
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
Sure it does if its open source.  And if its not then the fact that its opensource means someone will compile it removing all the pay to use crap.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: The Sole BitTorrent Client Financed by European Funds – Tribler
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »
I get the idea that this has not been thought through properly, whereas folks like decentralisation this comes at the cost of a larger and more fault tolerant network overhead , the problem I,m seeing with some of these new features is that they can be exploited and leveraged against file sharers by the cartel, its for this same reason many features we would all like are not present in many p2p network clients, new features have to be traded off against abuse of the network and I,m not really seeing any such public information as regards any such trade off decisions in evidence, lets hope I,m wrong but I envisage a "mess" about to happen.

On a historical note, putting media players in clients is sort of "old hat", many of the p2p clients of 2001 and later vintage offer just the same facilities and in some cases have eclipsed the other functions such clients offer, most folks dont mind this tie in but it does mean in some cases that a new client is required each time there is a change in file compression algorithms and thus codecs etc, thus the stand alone media player should remain the preffered method of playback, thus future proofing the client from an otherwise earlier demise.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  The Sole BitTorrent Client Financed by European Funds – Tribler

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx