gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 06:40:24 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Skype slowly recovers from global blackout
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skype slowly recovers from global blackout  (Read 596 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Skype slowly recovers from global blackout
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:17:54 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12064394

The free internet phone service Skype is slowly coming back online after an outage that affected millions of people around the globe. The firm's engineers are still working to fix the problem, which first started at around 2030 GMT on 22 December.

Skype said the fault had been caused by a "software issue" on critical parts of its network. At 1800GMT on 23 December, the firm said it was handling 16.5 million phone calls, 80% of its normal traffic.

"We take outages like this really seriously and apologise for the inconvenience," Skype chief Tony Bates told BBC News. In a blog post, the company said that it was hoping to offer compensation credit vouchers to its paying customers. It earlier said its Skype Connect product, which is aimed at businesses, was "working normally".

Business failure

In an earlier post, the firm said that the problem had been caused by a series of "supernode" failures. These "act a bit like phone directories", the firm said, routing traffic between users. "If you want to talk to someone, and your Skype app can't find them immediately (for example, because they're connecting from a different location or from a different device) your computer or phone will first try to find a supernode to figure out how to reach them," it read. "Under normal circumstances, there are a large number of supernodes available. Unfortunately, today, many of them were taken offline by a problem affecting some versions of Skype." The firm said its engineers were now trying to create "mega-supernodes" to get around the problem.

BBC reader Igor Hnatko, who runs an outsourcing company in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia, said his firm had been "severely affected" by the outage. "It had made me realise to what extent my business is dependent on VOIP technology and Skype as a solution to keeping in touch with clients, and employees," he said. "Usually, Skype service is of a very high standard, but today, it has been non-existent." He said his employees had been "unable to log into Skype at all". "We do accounting and tax for Australian accounting firms here in Kuala Lumpur and during this crucial period in the run-up to the holidays, when our capacity is 100% taken up, we have experienced Skype collapse, which is disappointing to say the least. "We have started looking at some alternatives, but Skype product has been a part of our business for the last five years, and having to switch to an alternative provider would be hard, but we will have to have that as a back-up plan following this incident."

Om Malik, an industry commentator and editor of the Gigaom.com website, echoed his statements. "Skype is one of the key applications of the modern web," he wrote. "It is already a hit with consumers, and over the past few years it has become part of the economic fabric for startups and small businesses around the world. I am not sure we can comprehend the productivity cost of this outage.

"The outage comes at a time when Skype is starting to ask larger corporations for their business. If I am a big business, I would be extremely cautious about adopting Skype for business, especially in light of this current outage," added Mr Malik.

A big failure for anyone relying on Skype.  :gum:

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: Skype slowly recovers from global blackout
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:09:10 am »
our phone lines went off here for two days a few months back, brought us to our knee's. I didnt see on the internet everyone saying you shouldnt use BT for Business.

Stuff will break, their is nothing you can do about it. All this seems like propergander being blasted about to damage a service that is provided for FREE.

More like sour grapes to me. And as for the fool with no other VOIP access, sack you IT Manger.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Skype slowly recovers from global blackout

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx