gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:51:01 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  Links to helpfull pc software anyone?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Links to helpfull pc software anyone?  (Read 22780 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Links to helpfull pc software anyone?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 05:32:26 pm »
http://majorgeeks.com/Process_Tamer_d4651.html

switches the priority of a app using abnormal cpu time (user adjustable to what you consider abnormal but the default works great for me) to a lower priority so your boxen doesnt end up with a jittery mouse cursor or task manager cant be opened (im sure everyone here has had such happen at least once) and switches it back to what it was when the app calms down...

in the config box i recommend ticking 'run high priority' so the tamer app itself doesnt get stuck behind a cpu sucking app and cant do its job.... ....the tray balloon messages can be disabled too as they are quite annoying but usefull if you want to know what app(s) are getting throttled... and rulesets can be configed for apps that you dont want the priority changed of or ones that you want the priority set higher or lower by default...

this thing is a lifesaver IMO... even makes the desktop useable quicker than normal on startup (trust me... you want 'start with windows' checkbox ticked) if you have an app that starts with the system thats sluggish or hoggish... its not open source but is 'donationware' (freeware basically.. it gives more info in the docs... you dont need to donate just that they really really would like you to...)...

those who have used linux will really like this thing...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 08:27:26 am »
http://www.sandboxie.com/

run arbitrary programs in a sandbox... (you limit what they can and cant do to your system)

its shareware that turns nagware in 30days but anymore .. it might just be a good idea to make use of it for apps that are... a bit untrustworthy... like winmx 3.31 with its known holes... or other apps with known or unknown holes, bugs, quirks or are just plain old....

Offline app103

• Forum Member
    • App's Apps
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 03:03:19 pm »
http://majorgeeks.com/Process_Tamer_d4651.html

switches the priority of a app using abnormal cpu time (user adjustable to what you consider abnormal but the default works great for me) to a lower priority so your boxen doesnt end up with a jittery mouse cursor or task manager cant be opened (im sure everyone here has had such happen at least once) and switches it back to what it was when the app calms down...

in the config box i recommend ticking 'run high priority' so the tamer app itself doesnt get stuck behind a cpu sucking app and cant do its job.... ....the tray balloon messages can be disabled too as they are quite annoying but usefull if you want to know what app(s) are getting throttled... and rulesets can be configed for apps that you dont want the priority changed of or ones that you want the priority set higher or lower by default...

this thing is a lifesaver IMO... even makes the desktop useable quicker than normal on startup (trust me... you want 'start with windows' checkbox ticked) if you have an app that starts with the system thats sluggish or hoggish... its not open source but is 'donationware' (freeware basically.. it gives more info in the docs... you dont need to donate just that they really really would like you to...)...

those who have used linux will really like this thing...

If you like Process Tamer, you should give some of the developer's other apps a try. Two I would highly recommend are Screenshot Captor (better than Snagit) and Find and Run Robot (FARR).  FARR is especially impressive, with all the plugins and stuff. There is not too much this app can't do.

Both are available on DonationCoder.com, a site I mentioned earlier in this thread. (mouser, the developer of Process Tamer, is the founder of that site and community, and a good friend of mine)

There is going to be a whole slew of new freeware apps (~25) released there on Jan 1, for the site's yearly NANY event (New Apps for the New Year).

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  Links to helpfull pc software anyone?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx