gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 11:38:06 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  OpenNap Protocol Networks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OpenNap Protocol Networks  (Read 3821 times)

Offline ImMaria

• Forum Member
OpenNap Protocol Networks
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:58 pm »
Hi,
I lost the hard drive in this computer, which means I have to start over with just about everything. My question is: I used to be able to to into the OpenNap Protocol Networks and download some of the networks. I can't figure out how to do that now. It's been a long time since I've had to do that. Is it still available and if so, how do I download now?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: OpenNap Protocol Networks
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:28 pm »
Click on this link and follow the instructions you should be fine ImMaria  :)

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/opennap.html

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:08:49 am »
Is there any advantage in using the OpenNap Protocol?  What's different from it and the regular WinMx network?
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:32:01 am »
What's different from it and the regular WinMx network?

opennap is the same as the original napster... central server holding the list of files a user has, and also routing the searches...
transfers are one to one (no multisource) and hashless... relying on the username & filename to 'resume' should the transfer break...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:42:36 am »
What's different from it and the regular WinMx network?

opennap is the same as the original napster... central server holding the list of files a user has, and also routing the searches...
transfers are one to one (no multisource) and hashless... relying on the username & filename to 'resume' should the transfer break...

Ok, I don't want that. That sounds very unreliable. I remember using Napster, but I knew nothing about protocols then. If my download is totally at the mercy of one user then I will avoid that unless I can't find the file on the WinMx network.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:21 am »
Oh.. yeah.. One more question. When I'm connected to the OpenNap network am I also connected to the WinMx network at the same time or can I only connect to one at a time?

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:47 am »
Now that i have connected to the OpenNap network it appears that indeed one can connect to both networks at the same time. So i'm assuming that when i query a search that it is searching both networks. Is that correct?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:11:54 am »
Theres a drop down menu where you can select which network you choose to utilise Achilles, by default you do indeed search them all.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:34:58 am »
Thanks, GhostShip! I did not realize what that was for because I had never connected to the opennap network  until now.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  OpenNap Protocol Networks

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx