gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:14:33 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  Western Digital 1tb external harddrive
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Western Digital 1tb external harddrive  (Read 3613 times)

Offline camarojohn

• Forum Member
Western Digital 1tb external harddrive
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:24:03 am »
My external harddrive went bonkers a few days ago . I contacted western digital and was told they should get it running again or since it was still under warranty they would replace it free of charge. My problem is if they do fix it and see my 450 movies and 1500 hundred songs and the winmx program that I have on it, will they turn me in and have the man coming to my door taking me to court and big fines. One guess where most of this came from. So I guess the question is will I be safe if I send it in for repair or should I just eat the drive and by another one.

Thank You all for any input on what I should and shouldn't do
CamaroJohn

Re: Western Digital 1tb external harddrive
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:41 am »
Jump on the net and check out their privacy policy.
Also I'm not sure what the privacy laws are where you are, but I think in most places it is illegal for them to hand over information about you (their customer) to a third party. Check out your local privacy laws.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:13:06 am »
I would forget about the contents of the drive as they are not likely to fix your drive and hand it back to you, what normally happens is if the drive has to go as far as the manufacturer its normally so they can see what went wrong and swap it out for a repaired one on a production line method, this means they can have a fast turn around, if they fixed your exact drive to return to you it would take them a lot longer to do all this and keep track of folks personal data, simply erasing all the drives contents shields both them and you from any liability for the drives contents, btw simply having the winmx program on your drive does not mean you used it to download any files, nor that you dont actually have all those files on the drive as a backup repository for your collection of media as many folks do, and on a final note unless your selling those files or otherwise allowing unauthorised access to them for profit you haven't actually broken any laws in downloading them, as I often point out its uploading them to others that incurs the legal wrath not downloading for your own usage and research.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:23 am »
What do you mean by bunkers? I have had 3 WD drives that have failed in the past year, and I was able to retrieve almost all data from those drives. Did the drive motor go out or is the motor working, but you can not see your data? If the motor is running does it make a klunk klunk sound? If the motor is still running then I believe you may be able to get all your data back. You will have to buy another external drive to copy the data to though. After you rescue your data then you can secure erase the drive using a free program called eraser or another program of your choice. This is probably an option if your drive motor is still working. I bought a program called file scavenger, and retrieved all my data. I like it the most, but there are other free ones available like Recuva that may do the job. Anyways if the drive motor is working at least scan it with your free option Recuva to see  if you can see the data, and report back what you have found.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »
i literally have a pile of dead WD drives ... when a WD dies its usually not recoverable...

and heres a handy toy if the drive isnt making the 'klunk klunk klunk' of complete death yet... http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html --- if you dont use linux you may have to find a 'live' version that has this utility...

as for the data.... yes, do check the privacy policy, but methinks most turn a blind eye cos they dont want to get mixed into a lawsuit... they just want to sell hdds...

...next time buy a samsung...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »
Get your screwdrivers out, remove the HDD from the case, it's just a regular HDD, and try connecting it directly as an internal drive, eliminate the external USB interface from the equation...

Possibly then the Data is accessible, if so, COPY it off onto another drive, then, trash the contents and send it in for warranty repair

And get a Samsung
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  Western Digital 1tb external harddrive

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx