gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:09:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Static IP and Port forwarding don't help,no uploads,search only works secondary
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Static IP and Port forwarding don't help,no uploads,search only works secondary  (Read 3760 times)

Offline allenx1966

• Forum Member
I can't upload hardly at all, and downloads and search only work on secondary connections. I have set up a static ip and port forwarding,quadruple checked the settings. I just can't get winmx to work anymore. I been using it since the death of napster....... all these years..... stuck with it,tried to spread the word....  Now I am wondering if it's even worth it anymore.  Is there something I'm missing here? Has everyone secretly started using another program?  I need serious help to fix this. I got a Cisco M20 Valet router, TWC in Ohio. Please can anyone help? i have went through all the help files till my eyes are popping out. Is this the real true end or am I just missing something?

Offline chmeee_ab_cdn

• Forum Member

Hi allenx,

I was on a connection a couple of years ago that was giving me
  similar problems.  What seemed to work was changing from the
  6699 and 6257 default WinMx ports.  I think I tried ports 26 and
  28.  My current connection seems to have no problems on the
  default ports.  Check out the IANA document:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

It lists lots of possibilities.  You will need to port forward your
  choice in the router, as you did with the original defaults.

I don't know for sure if the alternate ports are the correct cure
  but at the time, and on that internet provider, it worked.

Good luck!

-C

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
disable upnp in the oledlg.ini file in mx's directory if you are forwarding ports manually... tho i have  a funny feeling you've done that too...

if using win7 you have mx running as admin right?

this; http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs

and this; http://nmap-online.com/

may prove usefull ... i have a funny feeling you know what nmap is... and the wiki says time warner cable throttles...

Offline achilles

• Core
allenx1966, I do believe a significant amount of users have left the network over the last year due to problems with the network. I have been experiencing the same problems you have. The network does not seem to be what it use to be. We did lose a lot of users due to the earthquake in Japan, but I usually did not target the files those users had.  I leave WinMX running all the time.  I share my files to help the network, but I rarely ever download from anyone else.  When I do successfully connect to someone that has a file I'm looking for they usually disconnect me shortly after connecting to them.  In most cases I honestly could care less if I download from other users on the network.  Most of the time I'm just running the client to help keep the network going.  I myself have also been using WinMX since the death of Napster.  Did you turn off UPnP like Silver Stripes recommended?  Just navigate to WinMX programs, and change the 1 to a 0 in the oledlg.ini file where is says UPnP.   
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline achilles

• Core
BTW.. TWC does throtle traffic for torrents, but I don't think they do for WinMX.   I know they don't block the default ports of TCP:6699, and UDP:6257 if that helps any.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline allenx1966

• Forum Member
Don't know what happened,but it seemed to be working better after I made this post. Maybe I should cry some more? OK, I already messed with changing the ports in the settings on Winmx and matched them to port forwarding on router settings. I also was already running Winmx as an administrator. I think I covered all the bases mentioned in the replies. The only thing I never heard of,and still not quite sure how to change this, is the advice about oledlg.ini upnp. Do you change the word to "disable" and/or change  "1" to a "0" ? I looked for a link to this info,they all said it could be changed,but none specified exactly how to. I went ahead and changed the word to disable and left the 1. I did'nt notice any difference.

Just wanted to ad a quick compliment. I have used various forums from auto,politics,finances,boats, and many others over the years. Usually I end up have people that want to argue,or answer questions I never asked. I was quite shocked to see the informative and polite replies here. Just wanted to say a very serious "Thanks!" . Nice to know someone else on this planet has a bit a sense and respect.

Silver Stripes, I have no idea what the nmap is or what its for. I ran the quick and full . Quick said all 100 ports were filtered. Full said all 5000 were filtered. Have know idea what that means. I'm not sure if its ok to say what ports I choose,but both tcp and udp are over 5000 and under 6000,but definitely not the default setting.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Hi alien, the correct method is  /enableupnp 0
Change the 1 to a 0 (if im not mistaken i think this change will require a restart of winmx)
Glad to see things are working better for you.

Offline allenx1966

• Forum Member
Ty Reef. I did that like you said. Seems to be smoking hot again for now. Thanks.

Offline allenx1966

• Forum Member
 While I"m here and seem to be getting good answers...... anyone know a good winmx alternative? I am fairly skilled at winmx,but it's nearly impossible for me to get the average Joe set up and using winmx. I noticed from reading and searching a bit, Limewire has kinda went underground like winmx  I guess. I don't understand all the tech lingo,but I'm usually better than the average guy at getting things going. So is there a great site for the new pirate Lime like winmxworld is for winmx? I hate lime wire,but everyone that is clueless on a pc seems to like it,and it would be cool if I could help them get it going again.  I know sometimes it's not cool to ask such questions because big brother is on the hunt. Is there any popular software as good or better than winmx,and if so,whats the best site to get and and get my learn on?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
bittorrent? or if you mean 'winmx-like' ares and soulseek are good ones... ares is very good with oddball network setups.... frostwire if you want a limewire-like app.... tho ive never tried frostwire...

http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/  (personal favorite winmx alike app)

http://www.peerblock.com/ (a good thing to have around with any p2p)

Offline allenx1966

• Forum Member
Thanks. I found a link to the reborn limewire,it works good except for one issue. It has spam files like the early winmx had. I used peer guardian before. I am on the fence about peer guardian. i like it,and i dont mind having to manage stuff,and update and tweek it, but i am getting old and tired of everything online being a 3 hour  "get your learn on"  ordeal. i have just built my first quad core pc for myself.and i am using a solid state hard drive for my apps.This new pc is smoking fast, i may try peer guardian again since i have plenty of resources to spare.
   by the way,if anyone was thinkin what i was thinkin about trying a solid state drive in a desktop,do it....... IT FREAKIN ROCKS.  solid stater drives are still very expensive, but a 64 gig isnt too bad money wise. i decided to go with the solid state for apps and conventional hard drives for storage..... it was a good idea......

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Static IP and Port forwarding don't help,no uploads,search only works secondary

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx