gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 19, 2024, 06:24:22 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  A nice idea imo... for a modded WinMX.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A nice idea imo... for a modded WinMX.  (Read 5813 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
A nice idea imo... for a modded WinMX.
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:08 am »
For years I have had issues with WinMX where if I crash, lose connectivity or whatever... I cannot make user names nor a list of browsed files persistant. Unless I do something like prt screen and save an image. lol The 'excuse' as I call it that ive heard over and over again is that usernames are not forever, file lists are not forever, room names are not forever. Therefore, the instant you close (or crash) WinMX, all that info vanishes. You cannot find it again unless search happens to be working, which is rare these days. During the last period of normal function on WinMX when the hackers (erm ya know who I mean) lost the ability to mess it all up for an entire 2 days, I browsed everyone I could with files I wanted. After the flooding resumed I would queue using the same lists of files, with the same old usernames. I did not crash so all of that is still available on my WinMX. I have noticed that the vast majority of the time, these people who I have a browse open on do not crash, vanish, move to mars or otherwise disappear from the world. I think it would be nice if WinMX were altered to allow the total saving of browse lists and usernames, including hash. Just because I may crash or reboot, doesnt mean that the rest of the planet crashes in sync with me. Kinda idiotic for WinMX as it is, to suddenly go senile and remove all that information. I know, Kev even said himself that all the info is temporary... his defintion of temporary is .000001 nanoseconds. Reality is into the time period of months in some cases. What would be horrible abt it? You click download and the link no lionger exists.... that happens anyway even when we are not being attacked. I will now return to my downloads which are maxing out my isp speed. The same ones that are using the same usernames and hashes that were present b4 the latest flooding attack, several days ago.
I cannot think of any other more interesting change to WinMX over the ability to stash and use that information over a crash or reboot. Such as like, oops! my pc froze, reboot it. Run WinMX, right click 'resume' and most everything you were qued on for most usernames, you are instantly queued on again, without messing around with search. Im sure that besides being convenient, it would also cause emotional upset to KM or whatev... is hacking the WPN.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: A nice idea imo... for a modded WinMX.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:53:54 am »
the total saving of browse lists and usernames, including hash.

i dont think that would be such a good idea.... but.... sharing the .csv file produced by a program called 'mxhashish' after having it process your library file would be the closest to that....

nother way is to use nap... which allows permanent hotlists....

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:25:12 am »
The trick most users do when they want to find "pseudo-save" the hotlist is to place the user into the "Ignore List", this will store their id even if you close winmx and re -open it.

Now when you come back online you go to the Ignored Users List box (A) , then right click on the user you wish to reaqquire (B) and select "whois" from the menu there , this will open the whois box (C) and if they are still online you can message or browse them further.

Thats the only method I know of but it does work.

PS: Remember to remove them from the "Ignore List" when you see they are online  :yes:
PPS: Yes I have edited the pics to remove identifying information, This is in line with my normal practice but you will see considerably more info when you take a peek.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:09 am »
what hasn't been ointed out is the 2 things that make a username unfindable/unbrowseable

User Restarts MX for a reason or User is Secondary and has a 'Changed Primary' episode.

Both those events give them a new User Hash (The 5 digit number after name) and breaks the spell

The same change of hash is why you may see a persistent leech in your queue even tho you may have Ignored them

Long-lasting usernames, that dont change hash are likely Primaries and have not had a crash or disconnect or reboot event. (One day i'll put my Router on a UPS)
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline ¿Åliçe

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:47:51 am »
I always thought that the persistent leech had changed his username or changed his/her numbers preceding his hash numbers.  I didn't think it really possible for them to get around ignore through a network refresh

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:43 am »
I always thought that the persistent leech had changed his username or changed his/her numbers preceding his hash numbers.  I didn't think it really possible for them to get around ignore through a network refresh

username123_morenumbers
becomes
username123_differentmorenumbers
after a refresh....

changing usernames is a way to do it without the refresh.... since username123_numbers becomes username321_samenumbers...

the best way ive found to get the files i want from a browse is to simply select all the ones i want that moment.... but... have the number of downloads running simutaniously from one user set to '1' with max global downloads set to '3' (im on dial so adjust the max global accordingly for your connect but leave max user at '1') ... that way ive got the hashes and names of the files i want but i dont hog someones queue (and potentially get blocked by mxmoni by doing so) since the files are queued locally.... ....give mx a 'to-do list' and let 'auto find sources' do its thing....

also remember the less 'helper' apps (mxmoni, leechammer, or even simple things like mhamp) you have attached to mx the longer mx can run unattended (read: without crashing)

Offline Hans-Linux

• Forum Member
    • index.hmtl
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:15 am »
For years I have had issues with WinMX where if I crash, lose connectivity or whatever... I cannot make user names nor a list of browsed files persistant. Unless I do something like prt screen and save an image. lol The 'excuse' as I call it that ive heard over and over again is that usernames are not forever, file lists are not forever, room names are not forever. Therefore, the instant you close (or crash) WinMX, all that info vanishes. You cannot find it again unless search happens to be working, which is rare these days. During the last period of normal function on WinMX when the hackers (erm ya know who I mean) lost the ability to mess it all up for an entire 2 days, I browsed everyone I could with files I wanted. After the flooding resumed I would queue using the same lists of files, with the same old usernames. I did not crash so all of that is still available on my WinMX. I have noticed that the vast majority of the time, these people who I have a browse open on do not crash, vanish, move to mars or otherwise disappear from the world. I think it would be nice if WinMX were altered to allow the total saving of browse lists and usernames, including hash. Just because I may crash or reboot, doesnt mean that the rest of the planet crashes in sync with me. Kinda idiotic for WinMX as it is, to suddenly go senile and remove all that information. I know, Kev even said himself that all the info is temporary... his defintion of temporary is .000001 nanoseconds. Reality is into the time period of months in some cases. What would be horrible abt it? You click download and the link no lionger exists.... that happens anyway even when we are not being attacked. I will now return to my downloads which are maxing out my isp speed. The same ones that are using the same usernames and hashes that were present b4 the latest flooding attack, several days ago.
I cannot think of any other more interesting change to WinMX over the ability to stash and use that information over a crash or reboot. Such as like, oops! my pc froze, reboot it. Run WinMX, right click 'resume' and most everything you were qued on for most usernames, you are instantly queued on again, without messing around with search. Im sure that besides being convenient, it would also cause emotional upset to KM or whatev... is hacking the WPN.

I use this strategy to find and download the files I want:

1.) Browse users who are downloading or are in my upload queue for similar files.
2.) Select the files I want from the user's browse list.
3.) Right click and click "Download"
4.) Then in the Download List right click the files, "Find Sources Now"  to search for additional sources.

This will place the zero length files with the __INCOMPLETE__ prefix and hash as postfix into my download directory, starts searching for the file and if found adds it to the Upload  queue of the sources who have the file available. Download starts automatically when you reach the top of the queue. Non popular files can sometimes take days, weeks  or month ro complete. Your PC must run 24/7 to do this.

Hans  :walk:

AMD Phenom II x4, 3000Mhz; 24,115 Bogo MIPS; 
 Main Op. System: Gentoo, Xfce Desktop; 
Wine 3.0.3; WinMx; Bit-Torrent;
Up-Speed 20 Mb/s Down-Speed 50 Mb/s;
 "C" programmer.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  A nice idea imo... for a modded WinMX.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx