gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 04:02:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US News
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US News  (Read 20618 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
US News
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 05:58:04 pm »
This paints an interesting feature of the latest MPAA actions against file sharers  :)  

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=874

The MPAA is expanding its efforts to protect its member's intellectual property rights by identifying three addition alleged pirates in Rochester, New York. This news comes only two days after the MPAA announced four lawsuits against alleged pirates in Waco, Texas. While the announcement of only seven named lawsuits may seem miniscule compared to the millions of individuals trading movies, it is actually part of a calculated effort to humanize their campaign.  

This tactic is in stark contrast to the RIAA's lawsuit campaign which from a human perspective is being lost in obscurity. Yes, the RIAA has sued many, many individuals. But who are they? Do they live near me? All most people know is that over 12,000 individuals have been sued. Other than related sob stories such as the 12 year old Briana Lahara being targeted, these people might as well not even exist.

Conversely, the MPAA has gone the exact opposite route. While similarly the MPAA will sue dozens of individuals on behalf of its member companies in a single round, it very cleverly publicly names those individuals that did not respond to the initial lawsuit notification. This paints a very human picture to their lawsuit campaign. It also gets tremendously specific by not only naming the individual, but also pin-pointing their home town.

I suppose that this is a feature we here have overlooked too , from now on no names will be mentioned unless they are celebrities as its only fair to the folks who have not been found guilty of offences yet.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 06:07:17 pm »
An early decision here in regard to a piracy case defendant.

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3653140

A federal judge in Cedar Rapids has ordered an Iowa City man convicted in the "Operation Fastlink" case to turn over an assortment of computer equipment.

Jathan Desir was the first person convicted as a part of a worldwide crackdown against online software piracy of software, games, movies and music.
He pleaded guilty in December to copyright infringement and conspiracy charges.

This week, Judge Robert Pratt ordered Desir to turn over 21 items, including computers, disk drives and memory cards for possible destruction. The property forfeiture was called for in the plea agreement.
Desir, a former student at the University of Iowa, will be sentenced September 30th. He faces up to 15 years in prison.

What no fat bulging bank accounts to be turned over ?

Its as I said folks the ones being targetted are making no profit from their activities, just unlucky enough to be caught in the FBI entrapment scenario.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 02:44:21 am »
An interesting report here from a senate committee hearing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050729_103347.html

Washington (D.C.) - Friends of the decentralized P2P technology community were in short supply on Capitol Hill Thursday afternoon, as all six panelists testifying before the Senate Commerce Committee hearings into the implications of last month's 9-0 Supreme Court decision in MGM v. Grokster--including the P2P industry's own representative--found themselves praising the decision to some degree.

As usual the industry sponsored folks were vocal in there efforts to earn their sponsors cash, yes folks most of the familiar names where mentioned, just read this report and you,ll undrstand what the p2p industry guy is up against, not one of the senators understood what the difference between decentralised and centralised P2P was :shock:
 God bless America .. you guys need it with those jokers at the helm.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 06:36:39 am »
Another report on the same event but with a more exciting viewpoint  :)

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/hit_list.html

Proposed legislation to regulate p2p by requiring filtering out of unauthorized copyrighted content would amount to a technology ban by would-be Internet police, says the StreamCast ceo, adding:
"Any such filtering, whose long-term effectiveness is highly questionable, requires all files to travel through a central server and be checked against a massive database.
"Does the American Public want Orwellian laws passed where every file on the internet is fingerprinted, every user tagged, every search monitored and every result filtered just to protect the entertainment industry's archaic business model?
"It's time for all stakeholders to work together to find business solutions for the digital age rather than try to rely on passing new laws that are difficult to keep pace with technological advances."

I am glad someone is vocalising the concern of the silent majority against the Cartels greedy ideas and lust for power  :)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 06:13:58 am »
It seems the current policy of picking on the old very young and those with little cash to support themselves is still paying dividends for the Cartel

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9896986/

A 67-year-old man who says he doesn't even like watching movies has been sued by the film industry for copyright infringement after a grandson of his downloaded four movies on their home computer.

The Motion Picture Association of America filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Fred ****  seeking as much as $600,000 in damages for downloading four movies over the Internet file-sharing service iMesh.The suit was filed after **** refused a March offer to settle the matter by paying $4,000.

"First of all, like I say, I guess I'd have to plead being naive about the whole thing," he said.

"I personally didn't do it, and I wouldn't do it. But I don't think it was anything but an innocent mistake my grandson made."
*** said his grandson, who was then 12, downloaded "The Incredibles," "I, Robot," "The Grudge," and "The Forgotten" in December, without knowing it was illegal to do so.
The Racine man said his grandson downloaded the movies out of curiosity, and deleted the computer files immediately. The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.

I get the feeling that this guy is too honest for his own good and may suffer for it, remember folks that a wireless router only costs $50-100 and pesky hackers are known to abuse folks who have theirs set to unsecured, the law says you have to be able to prove who did the download, so maybe this guy has a chance with the fact his grandson did it, slim but worth his while pursuing.  

Sorry for the name censoring folks but I do not wish to aid the Cartels rain of fear by condeming folks as guilty without an actual judgement against them.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
ISPs Treachery
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 12:20:57 pm »
Slowly but surely folks the ISP companies are trying to limit the access that you have paid for and this new bill drops vital protection for virtually all US residents.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/23/AR2005112302200_pf.html

On March 3, the Federal Communications Commission announced that it settled a case against a small North Carolina-based telephone company that was blocking the ability of its customers to use voice-over-Internet calling services instead of regular phone lines.

On Sept. 15, the first major draft of proposed changes in the nation's telecommunication's laws was circulated by the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The draft said Internet service providers must not "block, impair, interfere with the offering of, access to, or the use of such content, applications or services."

On Nov. 2, another draft of the bill came out, with language specifically addressing the Internet video services that are proliferating as connection speeds increase and the phone companies get into the digital television business. In this draft, the prohibition on blocking or impeding content was gone.
If the bill passes as is, tech companies say, the Internet could be forever compromised.

"Enshrining a rule that broadly permits network operators to discriminate in favor of certain kinds of services and to potentially interfere with others would place broadband operators in control of online activity," Vinton G. Cerf, a founding father of the Internet who now works for Google Inc., wrote in a letter to Congress.

The phone companies argue that with their new fiber-optic systems capable of handling huge amounts of bandwidth, they simply want the ability to set aside some of it for their own services, be it television, gaming or anything else.

You,ll need to read the rest of the article for more info but its worth a read..lol

Basically The FCC are quietly trying to remove the publics right to use there paid-for connection as they see fit.
This legislation change will allow the ISPs to sell services they are not willing to provide to there customers and censor the users service when they chose all for commercial gain.
It seems this is the first attack on the free and open society the internet has become and we need to make others aware that they should not sit idle and allow commercial interests to decide the future of the net to suit themselves.  :!:

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
US News
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 03:41:51 pm »
This is a real shame.

The first question I asked my ISP is "Do you block any ports?" and they said no. I went through a list of quite a few before I got that answer. It isn't as fast as some of the other ISPs here, but I would rather have my options open.

I have a server about 2 feet from me that I can host a web site straight out of my living room with. To me that is important. Not the server, but having the option when I want to throw something on a ftp server when I want. Or to put up a site showing some of the game development I do.

The point is, I respect an ISP that allows me freedom to use my equipment and their service in the way I choose. For all others who read this, please see if you have those options from local ISPs. THE BEST THING WE CAN ALL DO IS STOP PAYING SERVICES WHO DO NOT PROVIDE WHAT THEY SHOULD. That is the way to force change. Hit them in the wallet.

Of course there were other options from ISPs such as I pay over $100 a month for a business account! LMAO

My ISP gave me service that included not only the option of using the ports I want, BUT ALSO GAVE ME A STATIC IP AT NO CHARGE!
Now THAT is an ISP!

Of course the others in the area said "Sure we can give you a static IP address, but only if you payy for a business account. We have really good deals...." And that is when I said nice try and hung up on them.

I would rather use a 28.8 modem than have a T3 without being able to use it the way I want. DEMAND SATISFACTION WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR ISP. If not, then buy some petroleum jelly, bend over and take it from them.

Best Regards, and Be Good,
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
US News
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2005, 10:27:57 am »
Quote from: GhostShip
. The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.

What do you think of this as a defence Ghost? - How can you be prosecuted for DLing movies you already own, surely no court would convict based on that. This would only leave the man with 1 movie DL, hardly crime of the century, and unless this guy is minted, got to be an all round loser for the MPAA, bad publicity and no cash at the end of it all, hope this one gets thrown out!!

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2005, 05:41:49 pm »
I,m sure the cartel will attempt to persuade any court they get the poor guy into that the purchases where recent, they are after  all only going to really go to court if they think they can get a peice of publicity and cash from the guy.
A few of "victims" who cannot pay are offered this option and a reduction in the fine for appearing in publicity designed to mislead users into thinking P2P is illegal when in fact it is not.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 05:25:00 am »
Some proposed new regulation that are bound to gain some of you a few dollars by allowing competition.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/13398287.htm

The Community Broadband Coalition, a diverse group of businesses, special interest groups and local government organizations, sent a letter to Congress today urging the passage of a community Internet bill.
The bill's main sponsors are Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ, and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who say the United States lags behind other industrialized nations in providing broadband Internet to its citizens.
Called the Community Broadband Act of 2005, the bill responds to efforts by telephone and cable television firms to pass laws forbidding local governments from providing telecommunications services.
Cable and phone firms, including Comcast and Verizon, say government networks undermine their Internet access businesses and unfairly burden taxpayers.
But, the coalition's letter said, "Only 30 percent of U.S. households subscribe to broadband services, a reflection of high prices, too few choices, and unavailability of attractive services."
Groups that signed the letter included AARP, EarthLink Corp., Intel Corp., The United States Conference of Mayors and others.

I see the usual collection of ISP,s who filter and block services dont like this proposal so I urge you all to support it for that reason alone  :wink:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 09:21:36 pm »
Yet another "stool pigeon" senator is trying the back door  :x

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060121-6025.html

The EFF's Deeplinks section has a pretty alarming post about the RIAA and MPAA's attempts to freeze the progress of consumer electronics technology and then start turning back the clock on all of us. Fair use, meet your successor: "customary historic use."

The post points to broadcast flag draft legislation sponsored by Senator Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) that contains provisions which appear to limit digital broadcast media reception devices to "customary historic use of broadcast content by consumers to the extent such use is consistent with applicable law and that prevents redistribution of copyrighted content over digital networks." In other words, if it does anything heretofore unheard of with the digital content that it receives, then it's illegal. And if it does anything "customary" that could also possibly lead to unauthorized redistribution, then it's also illegal. So all the bases are covered!

Do these folks never learn ?
Trying to impose draconian and luddite laws on the whole of the US to keep their donating benefators in big business happy is immoral and plain wrong, this Senator should resign.

Lysander

US News
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 11:44:16 pm »
What got me about the port blocking was that this is a phone company, blocking voice-over IP. So they're trying to lock you into using the phone service they provide to call people even though voice-over IP is cheaper and sounds better. When did I blink and miss the part where America turned into China?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 03:43:25 pm »
Oh dear, more backdoor activity

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/02/creepy_bill_creeping.html

HR 683 has just passed the US House of Representatives, and is now being considered in subcommittee hearings prior to presentation to the Senate Judiciary Committee. This new law, if enacted, will severely restrict the rights of your readers to portray trademarked items and phrases in their work. Quite literally, if someone paints a picture of flowers in a Coke(r) bottle, they may be liable for damages under the proposed statute.

I wonder where folks get the idea of the US being a litigators paradise, this is a worrying trend and should be halted in its tracks, your choice though folks, contact your representative or do nothing.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 08:01:30 am »
More info on the above article folks... and its not looking good  :?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060203-6112.html

Don Stewart, an Alabama graphic artist, has been drawing "visual puns" for many years, including this picture of a VW Beetle composed entirely of insects. This particular image was created in 1992, so Don was surprised to hear quite recently from Volkswagen's lawyers. They demanded that he stop circulating the image in any way, shape, or form, and suggested that he tear the images out of the coffee table book he sells and send those images to Volkswagen.

But Don did not want to rip pages from his book and mail them to a group of attorneys.

More control freaks at the corporations equals bad news for free speech and an attack on traditional cultural values, let your senator hear from you folks as to why they should respect the wishes of the populace against backdoor legislation.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 11:27:39 pm »
This is good news for everyone, well done the Federal Trade Commision  :)

http://news.com.com/Feds+stay+strong+on+spyware+case/2100-7348_3-6037277.html?tag=nefd.top

"Spyware presents serious new challenges in detection, apprehension and enforcement," Majoras said. "But through litigation, the FTC has successfully challenged the distribution of spyware."

The FTC first took action against a spyware company two years ago, when it sued Seismic Entertainment. The company was accused of exploiting a security flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to hijack a Web user's home page, display incessant streams of pop-up ads and install other software.

"The dissemination of harmful, unremovable programs that frustrate consumers' ability to control their own computers is digital carjacking, and we intend to vigorously prosecute it," Majoras said.
The Seismic case is ongoing, and the FTC has filed several lawsuits since it filed its first case. Most recently, the FTC was asked to take action against 180solutions, a maker of ad-serving software.

The money spent clearing up after even trivial spyware intrusions must run into billions per year.
Any move to rid the web of software that violates your rights of choosing whether to install or not is a positive step for the global community.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006, 11:04:47 pm »
Ohh look folks a freebie  :)

http://www.asksam.com/ebooks/Copyright/

The Copyright Law of the United States
Free Searchable Version
Search and analyze the full text of the Copyright Law of the United States of America & related laws contained in Title 17 of the United States Code. Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. There have been other texts that update this law such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The text is extremely useful in a searchable eBook.

As usual there is a small catch in that you have to give an e-mail addy to get the free viewer that reads this large work, but for those seriously interested in this aspect of the law I,m sure that a small price to pay.

PS: Its a direct download so any name/e-mail addy seems to work.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 03:42:49 pm »
Do we hear the sound of the rachet being tightened here ?

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3587051

California tightened its anti-piracy screws Wednesday when it enacted a new law lowering the felony threshold to 100 counterfeit CDs. Previously, the threshold for a felony copyright violation was 1,000 copies.

Under a new measure signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the felony threshold is now the same for illegal CDs as it is for movies.

"This law ensures that thieves threatening the livelihoods of those in the music industry will face much greater risk of being prosecuted and appropriately punished," Mitch Bainwol, chairman and CEO of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), said in a statement praising the new law.

"This law will make thieves think twice about peddling stolen music."

The legislation (AB 64), co-sponsored by assembly member Rebecca Cohn (D-Saratoga) and Sen. Kevin Murray (D-Culver City), was approved in the California Legislature with only two dissenting votes before moving to the governor's desk for signature.

Lets look at this situation here, we have a cartel of companies that actively leech content and artists work with impunity turning around to the public whining that they are somhow morally legitimate, not in my eyes or anyone elses, the artists are entitled to cash from their creations and no one I know disputes this but when you see the pittance they get from the recording Cartel for their hard work you wonder why they bother and many do not.

Dump the cartel and sell online, handing over your rights to a middleman who makes 10 times more than you is just damm stupid.

Lysander

US News
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:35 pm »
Is this if you own 100 copies of copywrited CDs, or if you make 100 copies of the same CD? The latter I think is perfectly fair, but the former is insane.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
US News
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 02:29:51 am »
Criminalising the majority is never a wise move, but then again it seems some lawmakers are only too wise in the cash making arena.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Re: US News
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 11:45:23 am »
Another over the top peice of proposed legislation being pushed for some personal reason.

http://www.adotas.com/2006/03/an-indecent-proposal-how-congress-wants-to-protect-your-internet-privacy/

On February 8th, U.S. Representative Edward J. Markey (D-Malden), the ranking Democrat on the Telecommunications and Internet Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, proposed a bill with the potential to rattle the foundation of online marketing. If passed, the “Eliminate Warehousing of Consumer Internet Data Act of 2006? will forbid any website from retaining the personal information of its customers—including credit card numbers, e-mail address, date of birth, home address, and Social Security number—beyond the point which it is necessary for “legitimate business purposes.”

The proposed legislation makes no distinction between corporations, individuals, bloggers, nonprofit groups or charities. If it is enacted, the bill will force them all to delete every idle piece of personal identification in their possession, or at least come up with a legitimate business purpose to hold on to it.

Is there something in the water upon "The Hill" ?
This legislation is over broad and like a scattergun in its effects, implementing it as it stands would cripple much more than businesses and perhaps thats the real plan, to shatter the online communities.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US News

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx