gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:51:04 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Important WPN attack information
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Important WPN attack information  (Read 66395 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Re: Important WPN attack information
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »
I think the fact that they no longer attempt to defend their actions speaks volumes. They are fully aware of how the majority of users view their activity. Being moronic means that they carry on when there's no longer any point. Anyone with a reasonable IQ would have long ago realised that there's nothing to be gained by continuing. If of course you have a twisted mind and enjoy spoiling other peoples enjoyment you can justify continuing the attack. Sad isn't it? 

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »
Sad isn't it?

unfortunately its called 'human nature' ...... put a group of ppl together... any group of ppl... and eventually the group separates into niches and eventually one niche wont like the view of another niche and arguments start.... it will happen every time....

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »
Argument and debate is one thing. Intentionally setting about destroying the enjoyment of others is something else. Taking it to it's ultimate end has recently been illustrated in Norway.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
I'm sure we all remain stunned at the mindless slaughter recently in Norway, no words can ever encompass the sheer misery and despair caused by such random acts, nor can we ever hope to understand just why one individual left all respect for human life behind and went on a run of carnage.

May the murdered children rest in peace, and their relatives who are left behind to pick up shattered lives and lost futures find comfort in cherished memories and those left around them in this time of sorrow  :(

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 01:01:25 am »
Argument and debate is one thing. Intentionally setting about destroying the enjoyment of others is something else. Taking it to it's ultimate end has recently been illustrated in Norway.

unfortunatly ... taking it to its ultimate end is part of 'human nature' .... thats when debate/conversation stops and the person 'snaps' ....

@GS -- i hate to say this but while the taking of that many lives in norway is horrid... ...such senseless lifetaking is so common in the states (school shootings ... gang shootings ... random shootings) that it passed by as yet another 'shooting event' in the news.... ....what caught my attention was when they said 'norway' .... i thought 'wait... where?! thats not normal...' .... had they said 'texas' or 'los angeles' it would have just been another day....

for those of you living in countries that have... for the most part... 'grown up' ... do enjoy it... you dont know just how good you've got it.... (hello canada.... hello most of europe...)

Offline Darren

• Forum Member
  • Love Or Hate Me Either Way You're Thinking Of Me
    • my facebook
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »
I Just Find It Sad That People Can No Longer Enjoy A Network Where Even Tho It Is Under Attack There Is Still The Peace And Love Of what i have heard It was Before but it's a damn shame that i can't even open a room without getting DDOS offline or having my modem Reboot it self from the volume of traffic going through it i mean it like installing a lag switch on my network that's how much having winmx open or having a chat server open slows down my home network but anyway i just wish these people OR person who is attacking the network stops cause it's getting highly annoying and frustrating 
Love Me Or Hate Me Either Way You Still Think About Me

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:20 pm »
Darren you could run your room in offline mode and enter your roomname manually to the site below

http://winmxunlimited.net/tools/chat-room-list/

It will have a good chance of showing in the list and i dont think you'll notice any slow downs operating it that way.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 07:29:50 pm »
From the amount of flooding i'm seeing they could very well be working with the cartel. It is untelling who all they have given the flawed protocols to by now. These people are worse than the cartel. At least the cartels gives you their reasons for attacking users. Not these low lifes! I would love to have a chance to meet up with these people when they were not behind a keyboard. Their all a bunch cowards!
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:38 am »
Darren, what room server program do you use?

Some are less susceptible to the attack patterns than others...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2011, 01:47:14 am »
Bluey is correct. WCS and all of its children made using the WCS code base are more susceptible to these attacks. The reason is, WCS does not keep track of which requests it has already sent its room information to. So based on the fact that it keeps 6 primary connections, it is sending 6x as much traffic as using WinMX or a chat server that does keep track will as it is receiving that room list request up to 6 times and dealing with it that many times.

Offline AmishCake

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
Hello, long-time user here and just wanted to ask if the search results are still being flooded with bad files. I uninstalled WinMX when I read about the attacks here. Let me know if you need more information.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »
Hello, long-time user here and just wanted to ask if the search results are still being flooded with bad files. I uninstalled WinMX when I read about the attacks here. Let me know if you need more information.
(emphasis mine)

as of the date of this post... yes....

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »
Incorrect

The flooding is NOT bad files, just a list of all files indexed by a primary or primaries near you

All the files listed are real, downloadable files

The flooding is still going on tho, (its just certain information packets that are being flooded) but there are periodic halts where normal search and channel listings are available
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:42 am »
Incorrect

The flooding is NOT bad files, just a list of all files indexed by a primary or primaries near you

All the files listed are real, downloadable files

The flooding is still going on tho, (its just certain information packets that are being flooded) but there are periodic halts where normal search and channel listings are available

technically correct but it gets old repeating it over and over...

Offline Darren

• Forum Member
  • Love Or Hate Me Either Way You're Thinking Of Me
    • my facebook
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »
i don't know if this is the write place to post this or not but as a user of the network hearing about the new patch and what not is kinda getting old for me i'm sick of hear talk about i was wondering there is anyway possible for me or the public to see results cause i have run across people who nothing is happening and blah blah blah and then there are some that say it's being worked on i would just like some answers to as of now where we stand
Love Me Or Hate Me Either Way You Still Think About Me

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:34 pm »
It's one of those questions Darren, people can code this thing day and night for ages, unless it works its nada.

I'm not sure what's getting old... hearing about a bunch of people who give up their own free time to do something for the network kinda makes me glad every time I hear it.

As of where we stand now, theres a group of people giving up their free time trying to do something for the wider winmx community to counter the actions of a <insert your own adjective here> few.
As of now, the code they have developed doesn't do what they need it to do.

Offline CrayonWarrior

• Forum Member
  • CrayonWarrior, High Elvin Lord of the Forest Elves
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2011, 06:41:44 am »
Dear Persons,

I know this is a difficult problem, and that you are all working very hard to resolve it, however you need to release something, at least a partial patch, soon, or there aren't going to be any users left to send the patch out to.

I know that you are all aware of the generalized search problem, and the problems with the chat rooms as well, but are you also aware that the search problem is now extending itself into user share directory browses as well? At this time, it does not appear that the problem with individual share directory browses is affected by the character scrambling jibberish displayed in the general searches, it is not affecting the character sets, at least not yet. What it is doing is completely blocking a share directory display, comming back with no items in the share list. This is an intermittant problem at this time, sometimes the share works, and sometimes it doesn't.

In addition to the searching problems, another problem seems to be creeping up as well. I and many others users I share with have noticed, that, if by some off chance you can locate a file you are looking for, and are actually sucessful in locating the person as well, once you are in their que, or them in yours, there is a very high incidence of the link not being sucessful, I would say in excess of 60% of the time, the transfers are cancelled for one reason or another.

This problem is getting entirely out of hand at this time, the problems with the network are propogating through many areas of the system, like a cancer progressing through a host.

Please release at least a partial fix, even one that is not entirely effectiove but somewhat effective, would be better than attempting to release the final solution at one time, which is causing severe delays in the users getting any releif at all.

Whoever or whatever is launching this attack upon the WinMX Community is obviously no novice, they KNOW what they are doing, and they are very good at it. This may be a very long term problem for us here, one, that I think will require an ongoing effort, in stages, for a considerable amount of time to come. Please listen to my request seriously, Please release sometihng NOW, even if only a partial fix, before there is no network or users left at all !!!
The dogs will bark when the caravan passes my son. Let them bark, we travel the world, going to far away exotic places, carrying riches beyond the dreams of the chained farmers dogs. So, do not fear the howling dogs, pity them, for they are calling for you to take them with you !!!

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 09:12:55 am »
Hi Crayon Warrior.

I realise the environment in winmx is frustrating. I think it's safe to say everyone is fed up and frustrated with this nonsense. We're all in the same boat.
I hear what you're saying and I know those working at it are well aware of the timescale and the effects of the passage of time. However if the solution does not do what they need it to do, there isn't any point releasing it.
I would suggest the additional things you mention is a function of the bandwidth and additional traffic being caused by the attacks. The browse listings and even some of the uploads just cant get through the number of packets going across the primary network.
I'm not sure what you mean about the problems with the network propogating through other parts of the system, you'll have too elaborate on that.
As you say, if this person/people attacking the network are no novice, clearly a partial fix would be no fix at all.

A lot of workarounds have been suggested on this forum in various places by many members of the community. They mostly include;
parking in a room, asking the room host to consider using shareguiard if they do not already, browsing users in the room or in your upload queue, take a look at opennap and try your file transfers there (theres a few tutorials here on using opennap and more on their way).

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
Please release at least a partial fix, even one that is not entirely effectiove but somewhat effective, would be better than attempting to release the final solution at one time, which is causing severe delays in the users getting any releif at all.

Whoever or whatever is launching this attack upon the WinMX Community is obviously no novice, they KNOW what they are doing, and they are very good at it. This may be a very long term problem for us here, one, that I think will require an ongoing effort, in stages, for a considerable amount of time to come. Please listen to my request seriously, Please release sometihng NOW, even if only a partial fix, before there is no network or users left at all !!!
Hi Crayon how are you? Please believe that everyone who is anyone that manages this site and WinMX itself has nothing but the best of intentions for you and other users like you with the problems that you all are facing on the network at the moment. I worked with them for a long time until personal issues took up so much of my life I had to leave this behind. I'd like to address the issue of a "partial patch" for you. The fact that you can continue to connect to WinMX itself is due to a partial patch that is directed at fixing a particular issue with WinMX connectivity. That area of WinMX is not what is now under attack or incompacitated. Nearest I can gather from what little I've read say that a completely different area of WinMX is now under attack and that area is out of the reach of the current patch's scope. A new patch to stop what is currently going on would have to broaden the scope of what protocols are effected by the patch. To prematurely release any partial fix would perhaps require a seperate patch from the connection patch and would be more than irresponcible on anyones part to even attempt without a large range of testing and trial. It could even prove to be more volatile than what the attackers of the network are doing in that it could completely negate the connectivity patch. Please understand that from what I can gather is these folks are dealing with more than just riaa and mpaa network attacks now. Their problem atm is someone who knows WinMX very well. He is no expert as an expert would take into consideration that what they're doing is effecting more than just a handfull of people. An ego the size of Texas is the largest problem this network has now and ever had to face. The current attackers are well versed in WinMX and it's workings and have only intentions to disrupt and for them causing hundreds and thousands of people issues just to see the group of people who try to keep things going is of no worry for them. "So what if others have issue, as long as it gets us who we're after." Your frustrations and the frustrations of others have been and will continue to be duely noted. Please continue to exercise patience and hopefully they will get this and other continuing issues fixed for you and everyone else on the network.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21:16 pm »
And why you wait, everyone can use open-nap. Its why we set a server up for you. To tie you over. Their is also a help room on their. That you can park and meet your mates if you want. If your a host and want to migrate your room, ill even set a space up just for you on their. Its being worked on, and all efforts are in place to cover you while you wait. Theirs nothing else really that can be done till the patch is ready.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Important WPN attack information

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx