gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 04:37:29 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Important WPN attack information
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Important WPN attack information  (Read 66306 times)

Offline moses

• Forum Member
Re: Important WPN attack information
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:06 am »
You've all been had, and especially my old mucker Quartz from 2sen.

Can I have a toast to the downfall of WinMx once and for all. Happy days.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:39 am »
No
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 03:29:39 am »
personally i don't tend to need an excuse to drink, but if you feel the need to validate your own drinking with various percieved events then I'm sure there's many you can choose from.
Your perception of winmx being dead may be correct if your perception of winmx is merely a bit of software.
Winmx is no longer being developed by its creator.
Like most people my perception of winmx extends beyond a bit of code, winmx is the community.
The community, while smaller than it was or has ever been, is still very much alive and one of the most stubborn beings I have ever come across.

So if you want to toast, then you'll have to answer your own question regarding your perceptions.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »
 :lol: What most of the abusers and flooders dont realize is you cant stop this system. It will always be there! And as for the problems it incurs along the way only gives us things to do and problems to solve which is what us problem solvers enjoy. I have seen this network of people go from thousands to none, and back to thousands.
I see some getting frustrated! If ya cant figure out how to use it broken,check back next year. I assure you winMX will still be here. :bow:

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline Oily Discharge

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »
Hi Merv, Long time viewer, first time caller-- I just wanted to say that these attacks cannot stop those who really desire to share - there have been many such attacks on file sharing community due to greed, ego, or just stupidity over the last 20 years. Record companies couldn't stop us, ISP's couldn't stop us, and hackers won't succeed either.

Keep searching, keep your files online, and keep your powder dry!

Never lose faith because the digital domain is always here as long as that stands we can never fall!

Offline Big Eric

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:26 pm »
I've been using WinMx since 2005 - just months before it was "shut down". It's been a faithful program that I've enjoyed. I've been following this recent slate of troubles and have a few questions.

1. Is everyone sure this isn't an effort by the RIAA? Seems to me, if I was the RIAA and wanted WinMx shut down, I'd pay some pretty smart people to foul it up. Secondly, I'd pay people to keep it fouled up until it was hardly used any longer. It would take time to do, but they have the money to keep it fouled for some time.

2. Instead of fixing a program that is at least 6 years old - what are the odds that it can be scrapped and a new program built? If we know what the problem is, can't a new program be written which corrects or improves upon the WinMx program to prevent this sort of attack? Maybe this is already being done?

3. I'm no rocket scientist - or computer expert. How is it that these attackers can make my program foul up? The program is on my computer. It's the same program that it always has been and so I'm curious as to how they are making it pull in all of these goofy results? Did they inject a virus into the system somehow? I probably don't understand how WinMx works well enough - but seems to me that whatever is supposed to filter your results is where the problem lay. I thought that function would have been on my computer?

I'm not flaming. I'm not angry. I'm just very curious. I'm also a laymen, so some of the stuff you guys are posting is over my head - which is alright. I'm glad you guys know more than I do. We'd be in trouble if it were left to me to figure out. Wish I could be of some help.

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2011, 10:16:20 pm »
Heyya Eric,

1. No, there's always a possibility those doing this have sold out to the riaa or similar organisation, or even that they are doing it directly. However from verything I've heard about whats going on, I think it's unlikely.

2. Yes, That's possible. A new program could be written. It all just comes down to volunteers time and skillsets. I know of a few members of the community who have been dabbling with a new client.

3. Winmx runs off information it receives from the net. These attacks are based on the attackers manufacturing bits of that information that look enough like what your winmx is expecting to see but also containing information which is not correct.

Offline LadyWinifred

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2011, 10:26:35 pm »
I've been away for quite some time, not because of attacks but because I can't get WinMX to work through my router.

It would be nice to have a contact who can help me get WinMX working again.  Then I can try to figure out how to deal with attacks.

LW

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »
Lady Winifred, WinMX has a chat function, and that too, is being interfered with, but, having said that, there are ways to still use chat and enter chat rooms
There is a help room that can help you get your WinMX working as intended

WinMXWorld.com Help_13A3F042BABE

Just remember that...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Lady, Your router can be programmed  to do anything you want to do with winMX. I would start by familiarizing yourself with the firmware your router uses. Learn how to open ports, and use a simple software firewall other than windows default.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:09 am »
Your router probably also has a built-in firewall that works better than ANY software firewall

Just remember that...

Offline LadyWinifred

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 09:02:37 pm »
Let me start with my first problem and try to work my way back to functionality.

System information:  Running Windows 7 (64-bit), with a Cisco Linksys E3000.  Computer is hard-wired to router (EtherNet).

When I start WinMX, it tries to make a secondary connection and fails.  If I try to make a primary connection, I get this error message:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
You cannot make a primary connection to the WinMX Peer Network for the following reasons:

- Outgoing TCP connections use proxy server

For more information, plese see the online help files.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

In the settings window (Outgoing TCP Connections) it  has an IP address which looks like it is valid, and it has the Proxy Login Name of the router.

Under "Proxy Server" the 2nd box is checked (Use SOCKS4 proxy).

L.W.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »
Some proxies rely on you using certain ports, check with the proxy provider and make sure your ports are set to those they advise.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »

In the settings window (Outgoing TCP Connections) it  has an IP address which looks like it is valid, and it has the Proxy Login Name of the router.

Under "Proxy Server" the 2nd box is checked (Use SOCKS4 proxy).

L.W.

Lady Winifred, unless you WANT to use a proxy, then all i can suggest is to turn off the (Use Socks4 proxy) i.e., select 'Dont use a Proxy'

you may need to restart winmx

Then, open a command-prompt window and type in the IPCONFIG command and press Enter, you will see a few items listed, but in the Ethernet Adapter section, you should ideally see a line IPv4 address...................................192.168.1.2 and a line Default Gateway............................192.168.1.1 or other similar sets of numbers where only the last part is different (in this case, the last digits, 2 and 1) but as long as there is a set like 192.168.1.x

just doing this will likely sort the connection

Just remember that...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2011, 12:18:11 am »
Yes what she said. You should be able to connect as a secondary connection using no proxy and you shouldnt have to mess with the router as a secondary cause it will connect to port 80. computer thinks its a simple web browser. but now you say your running windows 7 and I dont know what the security settings are like for that OS.
 I do know that with the router your running you should not have to mess with the settings to connect as secondary.
First says : Outgoing TCP Connections = Dont connect using Proxy (connect directly)
Second says : Incoming TCP Conections = Unable to accept incoming TCP connections
Third says : IN/OUT UDP Connections = Unable to send or receive UDP ........
And make sure winMx has permissions to run in windows 7.

CE

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:38 am »
WinMX will run in Win7 without drama, it does here...

To run as a Primary is just as easy as other O/S's

Decide on port numbers, set a static IP for the PC, set up port forwarding in the router, switch to Primary, go...

Just remember that...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:45 am »
Thats a good thing to know Bluey. I figure it is easy to get the Lady running with out having to deal with port forwarding but I do believe folks should learn how to use their routers. Good thing to know about.

:)

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline CarDar Inc

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2011, 05:48:33 am »
Hey everyone, 

I just read the news of what's happening with winMX.  I really think it's sad that a couple of losers have to try to destroy something so amazing that winMX is.... I was using this program for many, many years and have been very pleased with the way it runs.  I have given it to my friends and they enjoyed it as well...When winMX went down for the very first time I was upset because I didn't know of any other programs to use.  Someone pointed me to winMX world and I found the patches to keep it running properly on here!   I am so very thankful to you amazing programmers that are working hard to keep winMX alive.  I am and will always be a loyal user and as long as I'm using it you can guarantee my 100 friends online will be using it as well!  since these attacks been happening I have been using bit torrent, but I am always checking up on winMX because I have gotten many albums and movies I can't find anywhere else.... needless to say winMX got me from 100 files to over 50,000 files sharing into the community and that just mp3's alone!  If you are in need of donations to help fight this winMX terrorism please put up a donation box for us loyal users to help support the fight!  Best regards!  And please don't give up the fight .... there are many of us users eagerly awaiting your Victory in this battle!!!

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2011, 06:45:29 am »
I'm sure your thanks are very welcome. It's nice to hear the positives and meet members of the community who enjoy winmx. Noone's given up the fight besides a the users who have elected to leave the community, but they tend to keep checking up on us all to see how its going.

Winmxorld do this because we enjoy it. Philosophically we have never asked for donations and it would be a big change to start. The thought and the intent are well appreciated.

Offline otahu26

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »
 :) I've been using WINMX since it's inception. There was no Spyware, etc.  I think WinMX has the embodiment of what the interest was supposed to do. Allow people to remain in contact wither terrorist attacks, Sabotage or a world disaster may happen. It's provided the world with the greatest of all  Library's, wealth of culture's, an communication of idea's from  all.  I myself,  being a hermit due to social  phobia's. Have benefited from WINMX.
 Also Think of this as the new form of a Ham radio operator.  Sure the millions of "acquaintances" using Winmx at one time shared the great wealth, New artist got exposure  they other wise wouldn't have.
  So WinMX had a target on it's back. It was easy to attract attention of the global powers that be. This site undermined there control.  If Ham radio had been allowed to "file share" as we do now. What would have been the ability's of the everyday man during WWII.

Anyways. I will always Try to use Winmx. Wither it be a day, a month or a year from now.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Important WPN attack information

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx