gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 11:26:53 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Well this is odd
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Well this is odd  (Read 2658 times)

lord_harris

Well this is odd
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:41:42 am »
I recently decided to format my hard drive and install WinXP. I also decided to partition so I have a set part for media files and stuff for sharing. So I now have the c: drive at 12GB and the d: drive at 45GB.

I just reinstalled WinMX (the latest version patched and shit) and the strange thing is it won't let me put d: as the directory for incoming files. It works if I put, for example, d:\My shared files or any other subdirectory but it won't let me just use d:

It's not a huge problem because when I restore my backed up files I'll probably put them in a subdirectory anyway. It's just weird is all.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Well this is odd
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 08:02:44 am »
Hi Lord Harris, that is an interesting discovery, what did you use to partition the drive with out of interest ?

KM

Well this is odd
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:31:57 am »
winmx won't let you download directly to the root of a drive, i'm guessing this is partly to do with the fact that there are other system directories etc that would get in the way so if you downloaded to there then your downloaded files would be mixed up with system files which could be a problem for most

interestingly enough though it does let you share it even though you can't download to it...

many people create a directory called say "incoming" and download to there, then other directories for categories and move downloaded files to them once checked etc, in this case it would get past that problem :-)

lord_harris

Well this is odd
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 12:13:48 pm »
I used the WinXP setup utility to partition the drive. Funnily enough, it lets me download to c:

Anyway, now I have an entirely different problem. I've just finished running all the various WinXP updates (SP2 etc.) and now I can't use Win MX at all. Whenever I try to open it, it comes up with this message:

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Well this is odd
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 12:36:31 pm »
Lord Harris what version of IE are you using?

The patch has a known issue with the Beta version 7.0 of Internet Explorer.  Because this is a beta version and seems to have other issues not related even to  the patch compatibilty issue its not something we have focused on to fix.  Although KM may have an alternative answer for this its best to reinstall the latest 6.x version of IE.

lord_harris

Well this is odd
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 01:30:07 pm »
I'm using IE6 I'm afraid. If it helps, here's my computer spec:

AMD Athlon 1.3ghz
512Mb RAM
Geforce2 pro 64MB graphics card
60GB Hard drive
Windows XP SP2

The funny thing is, before I ran Windows update it was working fine.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Well this is odd
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:35 pm »
Hi Lord,

Sounds like its possible that you may have a corrupted file, one of the great things about XP is the ability to do a system file scan.

At this time I recommend you run that and see if this may fix the problem.

Sometimes the problem can be caused by system file damage, to do a scan of your XP system files go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command/Msdos prompt,  and enter 'sfc/scannow'.  If there are damaged files it may require you to have your operating system disk handy to make the repairs.

Do that for me and let me know if the problem persists...

lord_harris

Well this is odd
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:11:56 pm »
I tried that a couple of times but it didn't work.  :(

However, I then tried reinstalling WinMX and it seems to have done the trick  :D

Thanks for the help anyway everyone!

KM

Well this is odd
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 04:21:14 pm »
the update might have corrupted the patch, at least reinstalling fixed it :-)

Gus Morrison

Well this is odd
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 07:39:03 pm »
THATS THE SAME PROBLEM I MENTIONNED THAT SCREEN COMES ONLINE  LOCKS YOUR SYSTEM UP ALL YOU CAN DO IS HIT THE RED X TO SHUT IT DOWN  WIN COMPL,DOWN HAPPENS EVERYTIME YOU CONNECT  MICROSOFT GLICH I SENT THEM A MESSAGE  TELLING THEM WE SURE A H ARE ONLINE . GUS

cali-man

kingmacro
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 10:08:31 pm »
What's up with this kingmacro thing?
Winmx locks out  when I bring it up an my ip is splashed on this screen when I came to this site.

Any answers?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Well this is odd
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 10:20:39 pm »
I think the two things are coincidental.. the kingmacro thing is KM showing off what he can do with web pages & is completely harmless..

Amusingly, it also gets my hostname wrong.. returns my ISP server's hostname, not my individual one
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Cali-man

today
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 11:05:07 pm »
Is this person capable of manipulating Winmx somehow to cause it to freeze today?

I reinstalled Winmx and ran it on A SECONDARY connection for about an hour with no freeze up.....the second I tried to add a share folder it froze displaying the error message above.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: today
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 11:11:43 pm »
Quote from: Cali-man
Is this person capable of manipulating Winmx somehow to cause it to freeze today?

I can't comment on what KM is capable of (more than me) but I do know he's one of the good guys  :D

He (amongst other things) actually wrote the .dll patch & the software that's used by some of the cache servers & the WCS chatserver.

I STRONGLY doubt he'd be harming the network
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Cali-man

today
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:24:08 pm »
Are you having problems with Winmx?
If so...what do you make of it?

Cali-man

Well this is odd
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:59 pm »
Is it possible the RIAA are adding peer caches to the network designed to lock it?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Well this is odd
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 11:49:34 pm »
Not really feasible no..

They could add peer caches but the IPs are not on the lists of the fixes .. its not likely.  What is likely is that the RIAA is using IPs that are not on the blocklist to flood the WPN with traffic or data that could cause the program to error... Now is this likely.. well hard to say, they are able to do this,  its likely they would use it.

After all they are already DOS attacking innocent users regardless of on line activities, I wouldnt expect them to publisize it if they are doing something..

For now that is just speculation and as we are a small team here, 3 admins and a handful of Moderators, we are busily trying to find the cause of  this problem to be able to fix it.  Until then please follow the advise given here:

http:  //forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=6920#6920

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php/topic=1185

Cali-man

Well this is odd
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 12:06:13 am »
Thanks for the info.....
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Well this is odd

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx