gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 03:21:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Toshiba releases SD sized Wi-Fi
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Toshiba releases SD sized Wi-Fi  (Read 1351 times)

Toshiba releases SD sized Wi-Fi
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:00:42 am »
...the card is called the FlashAir. Toshiba claims in its press release that the FlashAir is “the world’s first SDHC memory card with embedded wireless LAN functionality that is fully compliant with the SD Memory Card Standard,” something the good folks at Eye-Fi might take issue with.

The cards will come in one size initially — 8GB — and do something that the Eye’Fi cards don’t: two-way transfer. Not only can photos be sent to and from a server, they can also make peer-to-peer transfers. Yes, if you and a friend both have FlashAir cards in your cameras, then you will be able to send pictures to each other, no computer required.

The launch date isn’t until February 2012, which means the details still need to be written. We do know that the cards will require compatible cameras for P2P sharing, and that the cards will support 802.11n, WEP, TKIP, AES (WPA, WPA2) encryption and RAW, JPG and movie files, and that it will work at Class 6 speeds when used as a regular SD card.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/09/toshiba-goes-up-against-eye-fi-with-wi-fi-flashair-sd-card/

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Toshiba releases SD sized Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »
...i smell someone getting their camera hacked...

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:18 pm »
says the skunk avatar

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:13:40 pm »
He must be the one gonna do it...

:D
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »
they would probably just show as an open wifi hotspot.... ....uploading an image with the contents 'wifi security 101' would both scare and hopefully educate these users...... ....what baffles the hell out of me is these cards support WEP.... WEP is defunct and horridly insecure.... -nothing- should support it anymore...

also interesting the article mentions that these cards would need a 'compatible camera'... ...if the camera were 'compatible' would it not make more sense to put the wifi in the camera itself rather than the sd card?? would save a hell of a lot more money in the long run.....

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »
Rolls eyes......whatever next a sink that tells other sinks how much washing up you did? a shower that records you singing and uploads it to youtube? or even the vacume cleaner with the internal video cam that broadcasts the contents of the bag to your neighbours TV!

Sharing is fun and cool, but you can go too far! This sounds like a crappy and pointless idea, but then, I think the iphone is too!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:08 pm »
a shower that records you singing and uploads it to youtube?

...or worse... one that sends the recording to the performing arts society who then send you a bill....

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 10:15:23 pm »
people used to put a clock in everything hoping they could sell it, same thing i guess, take an existing product, connect it to the internet.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 02:21:56 am »
they would probably just show as an open wifi hotspot.... ....uploading an image with the contents 'wifi security 101' would both scare and hopefully educate these users...... ....what baffles the hell out of me is these cards support WEP.... WEP is defunct and horridly insecure.... -nothing- should support it anymore...

also interesting the article mentions that these cards would need a 'compatible camera'... ...if the camera were 'compatible' would it not make more sense to put the wifi in the camera itself rather than the sd card?? would save a hell of a lot more money in the long run.....
I think the idea is an easy quick upload to your email or photobucket or FTP whatever.....Wow! Wep....I havent played with that in a few years! So easy....The packet contains the encryption code! Holy 16 bits Batman! I could sit in a public place with my little ol' laptop and look at all the intresting pics!
I got a kodak that has that share feature built in to the camera. Can send photos to friends via email right from the camera where ever wi fi is open. But I never use it.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Toshiba releases SD sized Wi-Fi

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx